Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

iDirt

Re: iDirt

When i step back and look at what a fairly decent used plated dirty costs, it’s hard to justify the leap right now.

In a few years when I’m ready for a new (possibly just to me) bike I hope the gap closes some. I don’t expect fancy new tech to get cheaper, I just hope the jump is more justifiable because the product is that much better.
    In the meantime, I don’t feel like I’m missing out on much, with a plenty capable scoot in the garage now.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Yeah, the XC-F250 continues to amaze me almost every time I ride it. Not all steps are forward...

Paul_E_D

xxaarraa

If I were to get another dirt bike, I would absolutely want two things: a) electric start, and b) rekluse. I could take 2 stroke or 4, but it needs to have both a) and b) above.

b) above is what makes me look at electric bikes. They have no tranny (or single speed tranny rather) and left handlebar control is a rear brake like a bicycle. That could be cool.

The KTM I linked seems to have a hot swappable battery pack, though spare battery is a ridiculous $3500. it also says "up to one hour of riding time" which inspires far less confidence than the 50 miles the cake thing promises.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-26-18 at 10:00 AM.

~30min of aggressive riding on a charge. DOH!

Beta 200RR

Yeah, that's about right. No more capacity than the prior year, but the new batt allows it to push more peak output which, if you can use the power will drain it quicker. If I get one, it'll be an MXR just for the lower weight and better batt thermals even if I never take it out of wuss mode.

Looking at the vid, did it seem like he was always nose down hard on every jump landing?

Last edited by Kurlon; 03-05-18 at 07:50 PM.

dealbreaker.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Looking at the vid, did it seem like he was always nose down hard on every jump landing?
    looked more like a few were a hair short of the down ramp but that's all. the sideways pitched rear stuck out more to me. wonder if it carries it's weight a little differently when you try to do mini whips (?)

Beta 200RR

Eff Why Eye: Souhegan Valley Motorsports in Milford, NH is now an Alta dealer with demo bikes available.

You can schedule a demo here

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    Eff Why Eye: Souhegan Valley Motorsports in Milford, NH is now an Alta dealer with demo bikes available.

You can schedule a demo here
    I'm guessing they won't let me 'demo' one at a proper sumo race for a day. If they WOULD though...

I'm guessing they won't let me 'demo' one at a proper sumo race for a day. If they WOULD though...
    never hurts to ask, right?

maybe go directly to Alta first with, "Hey, thanks for the heads up on the demo bikes available at my local NH dealer, awesome! Can't wait to try one out" ... then go on to explain the series, your history and your idea to 'spread the good word on the East Coast' by demo'ing on track.

but on the less-than-bright side, demos are contained to 30min, no clue what that entails or which bike you can demo.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    never hurts to ask, right?

maybe go directly to Alta first with, "Hey, thanks for the heads up on the demo bikes available at my local NH dealer, awesome! Can't wait to try one out" ... then go on to explain the series, your history and your idea to 'spread the good word on the East Coast' by demo'ing on track.

but on the less-than-bright side, demos are contained to 30min, no clue what that entails or which bike you can demo.
    Heh, been talking with Alta for awhile now on the technical side... As much as I'm a hero in my own mind I don't think I have enough presence to justify Alta handing a bike over for a day just yet. But as you say, doesn't hurt to ask.

Heh, been talking with Alta for awhile now on the technical side... As much as I'm a hero in my own mind I don't think I have enough presence to justify Alta handing a bike over for a day just yet. But as you say, doesn't hurt to ask.
    right, i don't think a whole day either but... who knows!

Beta 200RR

Try to get them to bring a couple bikes for EVERYONE there to demo. They'd be crazy not to. This industry is very much a place where people will not buy without trying. They could make a killer social media video out of it too #hype

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Technically it's also a segment they're not officially going after yet either. The sumo they offer is a street targeted machine rather than a full on racer.

That MXR with 17s though...

Here's an interesting one at the other end of the price spectrum. Sure, it's a mini-moto, but we all rip those anyway. 45 mph, 110 lbs, 6000w motor. Pretty iCool.
    Luna Sur-Ron

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Technically it's also a segment they're not officially going after yet either. The sumo they offer is a street targeted machine rather than a full on racer.
    Track/race cred! Gotta have it..

So, doing my normal random research between various tasks at work:

Looks like the Alta SM and EX should be eligible for a $2500 Fed Tax Credit. No joy for the MX / MXR units.

Insurance looks to be pretty reasonable, my 09 KTM with full coverage costs me $10 a month. Same policy on a 18 Alta SM would be $23 a month.

Test rode the MXR at SVM today. Just a lil play time in the parking lot in map 1 but still... unintentional power drift with knobbies on pavement and it felt totally natural. Really want to rip one on a track now.

Also, Scott M recognized me, I'm somebody!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Warp 9 won't have tubeless wheels for the Alta available for 3 to 4 months... while they are mostly KTM/Husky pattern the front rotor mount is offset 7mm more from center to make using a large caliper easier in sumo trim. Alta uses the same pattern on all their bikes so it's not just the Sumo that has wider clamps, the rotor sticks out more on the MXR as well. Slightly odd choice to me, but I'm not the MFG.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Things are going to get realll interesting sooner than most think. Part of what I do at work is review DOE grant applications for high-tech development and this year's topics included Extreme Fast Charging (batteries and chargers themselves). DOE's stated goals are to charge current (30-50 kW) battery packs in 10 minutes. This will effectively end the argument about slow charge times and range anxiety and since the battery makers are not so many these days, the technology will transfer very quickly. Some really cool approaches folks are taking which unfortunately I can't get into, but it's nuts how much has been learned already about the existing shortcomings (lots of materials science at the anode and cathode to improve interaction without lithium loading issues, etc.) and the time frame for these from proof of concept to market is in the 2-3 year range. By 2028 their goal is to have 300 mile ranges (in cars) that can be charged in under 15 minutes. Basically the same time as filling up your car and taking a bathroom break.

Link to the recent award announcement.

The charging time / interaction is key. Most "fun" riding needs power for 30-45 mins at a time for lighter bikes (dirt, race, etc.) so having just enough power for a moto / race / session and being able to recharge it in no time would be a game changer. Add a hot-swappable battery (or two) and shit man, sign me up. For activities that need more range, you'll just have a bit more weight but eventually that'll come down too.

Last edited by scottieducati; 04-30-18 at 02:46 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

It'll be interesting for sure, but still some pitfalls to sort. Toshiba's latest super fast charging chemistry in the lab for example weighs three times as much as your standard LiPo for the same capacity and I think takes up twice as much space? I wonder if research is going to instead start looking at supercapacitors instead and focus on reducing their internal discharge rate... would an electric car that can be charged for 300mi range in less than 10 minutes be acceptable if the batt will go flat when left unplugged for a week or month for example?

In the mean time I've got a few concerns holding me back from pulling the trigger on an MXR:

1) I'm hearing multiple complaints that the suspension is WAY underdamped, especially at low speed on the MX, even worse on the MXR.
    2) The frame design has the footpeg mounts sticking down below the lower frame cradle, so if you case something you don't glide over you 'explode' the dirt under the bike and drop hard anchor. Skid plate design may be able to mask this.
    3) Roll on drags between the MX and MXR show them accelerating at the same pace, dead even... where's the extra torque / hp? (I think it's being partially masked by rolling starts and not fully topping out, expecting more peak torque allowed at 0 RPM, and power to sustain against the back-emf for slightly longer on top, but without tossing the machines on a dyno with the same gearing it's hard to be certain.)
    4) The 2018s are a decent chunk cheaper than the 2017s were, if Alta drops the prices again in 2019 that kinda screws the guys that buy in now. Will I be owning something that'll quickly be worthless if I decide to move on from it?

I still want to try one in the dirt and see how it feels when jumped...

Last edited by Kurlon; 04-30-18 at 03:44 PM.

Beta 200RR

2019 Alta Redshift EXR

Last edited by typeone; 06-13-18 at 05:09 PM.
    Beta 200RR

It didn’t make it to the first battery swap at erzberg.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

crap, my 2019 plans are on hold then

Beta 200RR

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast