Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

iDirt

iDirt

A new to me entry in the electric dirty bike category, KALK by Cake. First off, I think we can all agree cake is delicious. There's some interesting bits on this one which was designed for 50 miles of light off road riding. Fully adjustable Ohlins suspension, aluminum frame, carbon fiber bodywork, about 150 pounds ready to ride, 14,000 euros.

Looks like a trials bike with a seat. Needs a better skid plate. I'd be scared to crash the carbon fiber.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Re: iDirt

Cake IS delicious, but that is...different.

Paul_E_D

Reminds me of the episode of Top Gear when they build their own electric car! I am very much supportive of electric bikes, but that wouldn't be the one I buy.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Pronounced “cock”?

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Pronounced “cock”?
    As in, "respect the cock".

Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

These things look like fun but it would be cool if there was a way to get them back home when the battery dies out on a ride. Admittedly gas powered dirt bikes have a similar issue but at least you can steal some gas from a buddy or someone can go get a bottle of it to put in your tank.

As there weren’t anything off-the shelf to support the category, every single component had to be developed from an empty sheet to support the intended level of quality and durability:
    The sizing, the geometry and engineering of axles, hubs, rims, the cockpit and suspension, as well as building and customizing the different parts of the drivetrain, together with developing a whole new chassis; having led to numerous patent pendings.
    It´s the new category.

....so its never actually going to be produced

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    These things look like fun but it would be cool if there was a way to get them back home when the battery dies out on a ride. Admittedly gas powered dirt bikes have a similar issue but at least you can steal some gas from a buddy or someone can go get a bottle of it to put in your tank.
    I don't know if this exists right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could charge one bike off another. The slow guy shares some juice. Or have some sort of 'jump pack' like the lithium usb batteries that could give you some power to crawl home. And the extreme worst case scenario is someone rides to back to the truck to fetch a small gasoline generator or spare swappable battery. Seems like a short-term problem that'll have remedies soon, if not already.

Even further down the road, I could see some emergency solar plans. Can't generate gasoline from thin air, but you can get power. I'm assuming right now that's not practical (yet) due to the charging rate required.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I don't know if this exists right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could charge one bike off another. The slow guy shares some juice. Or have some sort of 'jump pack' like the lithium usb batteries that could give you some power to crawl home. And the extreme worst case scenario is someone rides to back to the truck to fetch a small gasoline generator or spare swappable battery. Seems like a short-term problem that'll have remedies soon, if not already.

Even further down the road, I could see some emergency solar plans. Can't generate gasoline from thin air, but you can get power. I'm assuming right now that's not practical (yet) due to the charging rate required.
    Just put a solar panel on your helmet. Unlimited trip range!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Why would anyone buy one of these over an Alta? (honest question)

For comparison: Alta Motors Redshift electric motorcycles get slightly quicker, way cheaper for 2018

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post

For comparison: Alta Motors Redshift electric motorcycles get slightly quicker, way cheaper for 2018
    I would not, if I had to choose today, I would get a their EX model. I was it at the IMS in NYC, pretty cool machine. They had the MX machine on a stand doing full power run ups, electric torque is gnarly. Worth noting, I'd be pissed if I bought an Alta last year and they dropped the price so much this year. Real pissed.

Anyhow, I just thought it was neat so I made a thread where you can post other neat stuff that happens with eDirty bikes.

I'd go MXR, the firmware allows for higher peak output (Not that I'd ever be able to utilize it) but it also deals with heat better, so you avoid going into overheat induced power reduction mode longer. It's also a solid 16lbs lighter by not carrying the charger module in the bike. Same battery capacity so no range sacrifice unless you take advantage of the higher peak output aggressively. It also supports faster charge rates for less down time, again due to the improved batt chemistry.

wow, that's awesome news on pricing! Alta is definitely leading the way.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just put a solar panel on your helmet. Unlimited trip range!
    I know you're joking, but that might be possible some day. Just maybe not in my life time. They'll even use some of the power to make retro vroom vroom sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    This Kalk bike is claiming <70kg (154lb) which is like half what an Alta weighs. The Alta is a full on MX bike. Bikes like the Kalk are trying to be more like an electric bicycle. If I remember right, the Alta is built trying to use as many MX industry standard sizing and parts.

nedirtriders.com

This bike looks like something you might get away with riding on a mountain bike trail as long as you were intelligent about it. The Alta is more of a true dirtbike which would definitely raise some eyebrows if you were to try to ride on a mountain bike trail.

The Alta is more of a true dirtbike which would definitely raise some eyebrows if you were to try to ride on a mountain bike trail.
    i'll let you know next year

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

I can't decide how I feel about this. It's strangely beautiful but kind of terrible at the same time. Reminds me of an old PC tower from the 80's. I would have no practical use for it but I'll bet it would be great for a campus/city to rip around with the occasional dirt bike trail or shortcut through the park.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i'll let you know next year
    ORLY?

Paul_E_D

xxaarraa

50 mile range sounds like a joke, but for a strictly woods bike, that might be enough? My dirt bike career never got off the ground, so I will defer to others who actually ride dirt bikes. Isn't 50 miles a lot when out on the trails? I mean, if you went off to ride woods and rode all day, would you do more than 50 miles?

Also, why would you name your first product in such an awkward and unpronouncable way?

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-21-18 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    if you went off to ride woods and rode all day, would you do more than 50 miles?
    Depending on difficulty of trail 50 miles is a reasonable day in the woods. Down at Hatfield McCoy I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have gotten us through mid afternoon and possibly not even to lunch some days.

This bike looks like something you might get away with riding on a mountain bike trail as long as you were intelligent about it. The Alta is more of a true dirtbike which would definitely raise some eyebrows if you were to try to ride on a mountain bike trail.
    That's how I was trying to sell it in my head too, but can't justify or rationalize 14k euros for what amounts to an electric mountain bike. That much for an Alta or similar seems almost in line with the rest of the moto market.

Ya 50 is nuf for some weekend trail jaunters

I usually do 80-100 for a full desert day (did 100 on last ride)...but that's like once a month. 220+ dirt days are once/year for LAB2V...last time for me 2015. My shorty average rips with other noobs rips are 30-40 miles range. End to end on pilot rock truck trail in the forest for 35ish miles and go home

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-21-18 at 08:54 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Ya 50 is nuf for some weekend trail jaunters

I usually do 80-100 for a full desert day (did 100 on last ride)...but that's like once a month. 220+ dirt days are once/year for LAB2V...last time for me 2015. My shorty average rips with other noobs rips are 30-40 miles range. End to end on pilot rock truck trail in the forest for 35ish miles and go home
    To be fair, we’re riding tight single track not wide open desert. You can ride all day in New England and not cover 50 miles. Also not entirely fair to compare this to an enduro bike, fair to compare to a +utility -functionality trials bike though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    To be fair, we’re riding tight single track not wide open desert. You can ride all day in New England and not cover 50 miles. Also not entirely fair to compare this to an enduro bike, fair to compare to a +utility -functionality trials bike though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But what about Sausagefest?

Rather not have 2 bikes to do what one bike can do.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

even more so...50 miles is 'nuf

I'd say the majority of dudes don't do sausagefest anyways

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast