Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

so im really considereing buying a dirtbike.... this winter

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: so im really considereing buying a dirtbike.... this winter

black,

As has been mentioned here previously the way to find people to ride with is to join one of the local clubs. I do not know of any clubs in NE MA but there is MVTR, Merrimack Valley Trail Riders, that meet at Freedom Cycle in Concord NH. They hold weekly rides at Hop/Ev during the summer and also put on events etc. throughout the year.

Where you are in Wilmington, MA the closest legal places to ride in MA (if dirt registered in MA) are going to be Hodges Village Dam and Franklin. Closest legal in NH (with NHOHRV tags) will be the Rockingham trail, goes from Windham to Freemont, and Hopkinton Everett Riding Area in Dunbarton.

There are numerous other areas that are not quite legal to be in that people may let you know how to get to.

As previously mentioned NEDB - New England Dirtbikes can also be a great resource for your questions.

Joel

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Thanks for all the info guys.. I'm goign to keep an eye out for a plated xr250r.... worse comes to worse I resell it after deciding its not for me.

the links are good to as the social aspect is important to me i'll keep people up to date what i want.. i already found a plated Maine xr250 for 1400 in good condition.. I jsut need to figure out what the check engine light is that popped up this morning on the xterra means for my budget. :O

i was toying with the idea of picking up sellign the Xterra and buying a crew cab 4 dr short bed truck to transport the dirtbike... frotier comes to mind As I've had realy good exp with the xterra..but may just go the small trailer option if the wife gives the ok for a location to hide the trailer.

hmmmm......

Lifer

Have you considered one of those hitch mounted motorcycle carriers for the Xterra?

I did but something about it I jsut dont trust them.... I"m not a big fan of them. My X handles funny and by funny I mean I dont go faster than 40mph w/o holding my breath.( i should have put the much more heavy duty rear blistein shocks when I had the chance) when I i'm carrying about 400 lbs in the back evnaly spread out in the trunk and back seat folded down. I shudder to think how it handles with 220 directly on th hitch. I got much better handling with a a trailer on the hitch.

Last edited by black; 11-05-14 at 01:19 PM.
    hmmmm......

saw this pop up tonight...

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...oods-bike.html

It aught my eye ... anybodys input?? shot Phat twin a PM already... Again i'm looking for a first dirtbike I can learn on not " grow" into for woods riding and turkey runs.
    I was set on the xr250r but if a fellow NESRian is selling I trust them more than a random Craigslister. also looking for a decent resale scenario where i'm not trying to sell for months at a time.

hmmmm......

I rode with Bubba and the boys last November (2013) before the Banquet at Clough. Great Time with everyone. My bike is in excellent shape, and the extra set of hubs I have would make a sweet Motard setup if they wanted to make em! I agree with someone else's opinion that you'll get bored on the XR. Any 400 is a big bike in the woods, and the WR puts power down faster than an XR400. It really all depends on how hard you twist the throttle.

wr looks okay...dunno though - is that part of the 426/hard start years?

maintenance wise it's f'n mint...and all the work that was done on it alone costs more than $2,000...but if it's tough to start, then I dunno...go try it

1.) choke on
    2.) no gas (DON'T EVEN F'N THINK ABOUT TOUCHING IT!!)
    3.) hold decompression lever, kick it over 3 times
    4.) kick down past 1st resistance point, let go of decompression lever & kickstarter
    5.) kick it

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    wr looks okay...dunno though - is that part of the 426/hard start years?

maintenance wise it's f'n mint...and all the work that was done on it alone costs more than $2,000...but if it's tough to start, then I dunno...go try it

1.) choke on
    2.) no gas (DON'T EVEN F'N THINK ABOUT TOUCHING IT!!)
    3.) hold decompression lever, kick it over 3 times
    4.) kick down past 1st resistance point, let go of decompression lever & kickstarter
    5.) kick it
    All the mods I've done to it, it will kick over without the choke even on. 1st - 2nd kick every time. You don't need to do Steps 1-3 unless its frigid out. Once its warm, its just getting the bike TDC, decomp lever with 1-2" push on the kick lever, let it reset back to start, release decomp lever, kick like it you own it and she comes to life. You are right, these bikes can be finicky, but you can also buy a later year cam, put it in, and do away with the decamp part too for cheap money.

Lifer

Phat/Chip is a solid guy by my read. Based on what I'd seen, I'd gladly buy a machine from him.

That said... Do you still have the XR650? Too much overlap between that and a WR400 in my (barely informed) opinion. I think you'd be better suited with a lighter bike for this application. Especially if you are keeping a sumo'ed up XR650 in the stable.

Are you open to 2-strokes? Does it have to be plated?

Yup.. I'm keeping the Xr650r... its stupid fun... with the WR agreed it may be tooo much crossover.

I'm open to 2 strokes....
    from my understanding
    4strokes maintenance- less frequent, more money, more technical
    2 stroke maintenance- more frequent, less money, less technical
    pick your poison.. and me being cheap oriented.... 2 stroke would be good...

Yes plated seems necessary or ability to plate easily might as well cash in all the chips , seems to open up more terrain, turkey runs etc. most of the xrs I see right now are 1999 era with a bill of sale.... not sure if in MA how easy it is to title that with just a bill of sale.. any one know??

Think i'm passing on Phat twin's bike, knowledgebale seller, bike seems stellar but not for me. it wil make some one very happy. The 400 may be too much cross over with my 650. I want easy predictable power with a bit of a inherent governor ( dont want to jerk the throttle too high and go wheelieing and becoming inverted....Ability to lug and not maintain speed in a thin powerband is ideal

Found a xr250r in maine.... for 1500$ plated but no title. Told him get a title and a deal is done.... or I buy it for less.. and I register it in VT get title too, then eventually transfer it to Mass ( but that is a bit of a hassle....)

2gs is my max budget with all basic goodies included ( no major purchases to make it trailworthy or repairs etc and plated w/ title or easy plateable scenario.)

Yes I agree I might get bored of the xr250r but...it being a xr250r if i do , selling it it should be relatively easy with minimal price loss. Reason i'm considered Phat twins bike was finding a pre plated ready to go xr250r is tough right now, and me expecting a new baby in about 7 days.... I dont want to buy something that needs a lot of attention right now.... just transfer a title, bolt a few bits( skidplate, new tires maybe) max and thats it, ride and go....

Am I totally off in my thinking?? I was under the assumption 2 strokes power delivery was more squirelly than a 4 stroke ( but inherently more fun) Phat twin in a PM set me straight

hmmmm......

I have a 2005 KTM 250/300 exc with a street title for sale. If you want more info let me know.

Big, off road two strokes like the ktm's have tons of low end grunt and power to the limiter. Smaller and more MX oriented two strokes have more peaky power band. 4 strokes need valve checks, depending on the bike, about every 20 hours. They need a top end ever 150 or so. They also need oil changes in the 10 hour range. My new 300 ktm two stroke calls for an oil change every 20 hours and a top end after 80. Though most people go 100-150 hours for that.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Theothersean told me to buy a WR250R so that's what I did. It's a blast.

plated KDX200 on your list?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    plated KDX200 on your list?
    could be.. my head is swimming in the models.. years etc. but basically if you think someone who has 10 odd years on a sportbike.... could handle it as a beginner dirtbiker.. then yes. not looking to ride miles on pavement.. just to connect trails and make more trails accessible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Theothersean told me to buy a WR250R so that's what I did. It's a blast.
    yup i've gotten wind that wouldnt be a bad choice...

hmmmm......

10 odd years on a sportbike = mostly any bike up to 400cc (depending on woods vs. mx model)...450-530cc if you want the biggest baddest bike you will own (by then it's also a ktm)

basically...

dr200se -> XR250R/L -> KDX200 -> DR350s -> KLR/X 250/300 -> DRZ400(KLX400) -> XR400R -> CR250X/WR250R/WR450R -> KTM BITCHES (200->530)

I'll let the nesr dirt crew fill in the models in b/w...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-05-15 at 10:48 PM.

I wouldn't stress about gear man. Especially learning. Fwiw I have been riding Moto/off-road for 26 years and currently have The Very Best Kit and the Budget Kit. I interchange them no problems and depending on my mood. Very Best normally is for 'serious mx' and Budget for most everything else (off-road, vet track mx, flat track).

Very Best
    Helmet: Bell Moto 9 carbon
    Boots: Alpinestars Tech 10's
    Gear: Troy Lee Designs SE Corse
    Knees: EVS carbon knee braces

Budget
    Helmet: HJC FG-X
    Boots: Thor Ratchet
    Gear: Thor Phase Blackout
    Knees: Shadow Conspiracy BMX knee pads that are 10 years old

XR250 is a great bike for trail riding and learning on. Have fun.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by a13x; 01-06-15 at 10:48 AM.

Lifer

I think I said it already, but I had a shitload of fun riding an XR250 last fall. That bike was way more fun than I expected.

Speaking of helmets, first I got a "Dual Sport" helmet. Dual sport means it is equally bad for on and off road riding.

I sent it back for a motox/off-road helmet (Shoei) and it's much more comfortable on trails and I don't find it appreciably worse on the road, at least at the speeds a WR250R are capable of.

Got a line on a xr 250r... anyone still do the get a title in vt thing by mail? then transfer to MA thing?

Either way it s 250 in Maine, plated but in Maine where you dont need a title under 300( like VT). I might do the mail for title in VT thing.... or this fellow with the xr250 said the Maine DMV just issued him some paperwork and will be at his house in 2 days that will allow me to get a title in MA. Bike seems really really clean with only 1500 miles, take it with a grain of salt.

Any one know something to this story for a title "transfer to MA"?

hmmmm......

To start you need a cool dirt hat like $70
    \
    Get real goggles dust is a bitch... I have paid $5 on dhgate

Over ankle boots lineman are ok and good like work gloves

Thickish jacket like denim is fine

Last edited by Stromper; 01-06-15 at 03:32 PM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Mass has to accept the bill of sale and Maine reg as Maine is a no title state for small bikes so you don't need to go through VT.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Mass has to accept the bill of sale and Maine reg as Maine is a no title state for small bikes so you don't need to go through VT.
    This. Just make sure the mileage on both forms match.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post

Over ankle boots lineman are ok
    No.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Got a line on a xr 250r... anyone still do the get a title in vt thing by mail? then transfer to MA thing?

Either way it s 250 in Maine, plated but in Maine where you dont need a title under 300( like VT). I might do the mail for title in VT thing.... or this fellow with the xr250 said the Maine DMV just issued him some paperwork and will be at his house in 2 days that will allow me to get a title in MA. Bike seems really really clean with only 1500 miles, take it with a grain of salt.

Any one know something to this story for a title "transfer to MA"?
    Bought my WR and TW200 in Maine. To register it in MA you need the previous registration and a bill of sale. I recommend bringing the printout from Maine to the RMV. I had to show the manager the webpage about not titling bikes under 300cc to git 'er done.

+1 to Kurlon

In MA you just need a bill of sale and the previous. Street registration to apply for an RMV-1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast