Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 28 123456789101121 ... LastLast

I'm dumb. Y'all know it. So make me be less dumb. KDX? CRF? KTM?

I'm dumb. Y'all know it. So make me be less dumb. KDX? CRF? KTM?

Yeah, I had a peach of a bike, all setup for me, virtually maintenance free. But I wasn't using it, so I traded it away thinking I'd use a GSXR more.

That would of likely been the case, had I not been dumb and procreated.

Now I find my street riding is limited to going to work and going to get the bikes inspected. (really)

I do, however, see the ability to ride dirt more often, especially considering ice season.

I'd like something I can get on and ride, not wrench on constantly.

I'm no pro rider, but I was able to ride a motocross 125 two stroke without issue in New England trails.

Be nice to have a little more low end. Don't need a 500cc 4 stroke, but can't complain with it either.

So what's good for all around woods/trails/ice duty these days? I have no issues with smokers or thumpers. Either is fine. Be nice to have a street legal, but not in any way required. I'd get a motard if I wanted that.

Budget is about $2k. By the looks of things, that could get me into a decent condition KDX200. Why no love for the KDX220?

Any other bikes I should be considering? WR450?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Re: I'm dumb. Y'all know it. So make me be less dumb. KDX? CRF? KTM?

For what it's worth, I blame Bubs for this thread. Damn you and your riding videos and dirty trips and fun and falling down. Damnit Bubs!

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

250 2 stroke that is valved for woods would be pretty swell and could be found within your budget.

You could also find an older KTM 200 or 300, but it would be harder to find in your budget.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Or, do something dumb like this:

(listed on the NETRA forums, so the guy isn't a CL nobody, plus it's in the town next to mine)

CRF450X Street titled Low Hours with extras

It's one light kit and WARP9 wheels kit away from a do everything bike.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Budget is flexible if it's something that could be multi-use (tard duty, streetable, etc).

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I just hate 4 strokes and all the extra maintenance associated with them. If my yz125 blows up completely I'm looking at like 700-800 in parts to rebuild it. Can't even rebuild a head on a 4 stroke for that.

I'm pretty easy on my engines in general. Combine that with relatively low hours each years due to lack of available riding time and bikes I own tend to last a long time.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Your budget makes it pretty difficult, but you should be able to wrangle a plated kdx in that range.
    The 450 is a big bike to be trail riding with, but it would be more fun than the kdx on the ice, for sure.
    I think you could find something orange and smiley that'll scratch all your itches if your patient enough though.
    In hairy little men, I trust.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Plenty of love for my 220. (To be fair, I actually thought it was a 200 for a while.) With the right pipe and reeds it wakes up the top end a lot.

The only complaint I have are the conventional forks. They have about 5 inches less ground clearance than USD's and can be a bit of a pain in the rocks. I'll be remedying that this winter with a KX fork swap.

All together, it's an excellent woods bike and you can find them plated for $1500.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    For what it's worth, I blame Bubs for this thread. Damn you and your riding videos and dirty trips and fun and falling down. Damnit Bubs!
    yeah hes fucking with my head pretty bad too

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

LIke my KDX200. light nimble 2 storke, good torque. I'm redoing the rear and front shock with new springs etc for my weight but with your ummmmm stature you should be good with stock. Also putting in a new piston and steel KIPS valves as the stock ones tend to " disintegrate"

No e start though but never needed it ad its great in single track

Hard to find plated but you could the vT plate thing i guess

hmmmm......

My wife thinks something plateable would be better due to being able to peace out for an hour here or there and rip dirt roads/trails here in town without needing to trailer. Spousal budget level up bonus, $3500.

- - - Updated - - -

AND A GOD DAMN KICK STAND

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

In that case, I recommend a front wheel drive car with snow tires.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

You could easily score a clean, street-legal DR350 for under $2k.. old and big but a fun and reliable thumper

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Kick stands are for pussies.

And dr's are pigs.

I'm old and lazy. I want a kickstand.

DR's are pigs. No thanks, been there.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

If you buy a trail bike, you'll have a kickstand. Unless you buy it from a knob like me who removed the kickstand trying to be l33t, lost the fucking bolts, and now too lazy to order some new ones.

I had a kick stand on my bike when I bought it and took it off. If you buy a bike without one you can have mine.

Preteen, don't be obtuse. Not all of us have sideburns we can lean our bikes against.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

This gem may be plateable.
    02 ktm exc 200

As long as you're bumping your budget a bit, bump it a bit more and buy this:
    2013 KTM 350 XCF-w - Low Miles w/ street title

Edit: I'll add that if I didn't have a bike to ride, I absolutely would. Since I have a bike to ride, I'm going to wait for a '17 to get bought, rode for a season, then sold to me for a few grand under MSRP. They did a pretty hefty redesign for 2017 so that bike will have some serious staying power.

Last edited by loudbeard; 10-30-16 at 07:25 PM.

I almost bought that bike. ^

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    You could easily score a clean, street-legal DR350 for under $2k.. old and big but a fun and reliable thumper
    Yeah, a DR anything is not what the hairy one wants.

You're welcome for the vids. Maybe I'll edit up and post another one tonight just for an extra push.

Have to say, I'm having a fucking ball woods & dirt riding these days.

I'm completely in love with my KTM two-hunny as a New England play-bike. It is not a mult-use anything and I don't care. It does New England woods very, very well. It's easy to own and easy to take care of. It's tough as nails and puts up with my poor riding and many falls. Ridden as I ride it it does not seem to require much maintenance, comparatively speaking. The components are all top shelf and modern; suspension, hydro clutch, awesome brakes, etc, etc. The electronics are simple, reliable and maint free. (Kick only here.) She's kick only, but starts easy, even when tired as hell. Bumps easy too if the clowns on 4t's you ride with help you out and stop on a down-hill instead of up.

Mine has a ton of hours on it. Probably over 200 at this point. Yet it still starts and runs strong. I did a compression test and it tests well. I am likely going to do a top end to it soon as I have the new 450 for ice and can finally afford to take the 200 out of service for a while. At this point I am very paranoid about it blowing up or something.. yet, it just fuckin' runs!

Mine is plated and has the minimal lights. But mostly to divert attention. I almost never use it on the street. If I ever get stopped I'm going to be getting a ticket. I keep "forgetting" to put any of the street bits back on. Just can't be bothered.

I don't know budgets that well. But I'm pretty sure you can get a 200 of my vintage for about what your new budget is. Not the original. But then there are older 200's too.

And then there's the KDX220. I bet that'd fit your budget and you'd probably be happy on one. Compared to my 200 I think they are not quite as snappy, not quite as well suspended, and just overall not quite as well polished. But for a play toy it'd get the job done. Still not multi-use.

If you want a multi-use toy you can strap a sumo setup to or something you definitely want a big 4t. If you truly want woods, ice AND sumo then you probably need a 450. Like a WR450F, CRF450X or one of the KTMs. Adam just found a 08-ish KTM 450 EXCR for like $4k. Looked just like his. I've ridden his and it is a sweetheart too. Not quite as brutal as the WR. (And definitely less than the YZ/moto-x models.) But still suitable for sumo, etc. My 200 is okay on the ice, but not stunning. Doesn't have the grunt to lay down wheelspin like the big 4t's. Most of the tail wag comes from "backing it in" and not real power drifting. And I would never want to street ride it for any length of time. In fact I'm looking to drop the gearing and make it even less street friendly.

I've ridden a couple of the MX 4t's. I've ridden a KX250, a couple YZ450's and at least one other 250 I can't remember anymore. All felt like ass in the woods. I think they have longer wheelbases or something. Way more neutral handling and don't want to turn easy. Meanwhile the 200 is telepathic; darts between trees and is mindlessly easy to turn. Meanwhile it is twitchy and sucks at ludicrous speed. It terrified me a little on the MX course and bit me hard (and fast) when I screwed up. Right tool for the job and all that.

I think my 200 has cut down bars too, which exaggerates this.

Another thing is that having a multi-use dirtbike is kind of a pain in the banana. Gearing for woods and street either means two chains or compromise gearing. You'll be geared too high for the woods and too low for the street or track days. Two chains means a fuckton more work for changeovers. I found out pretty fast that I didn't like it that much. That's part of why I bought the 200; so I could gear the DRZ to the moon and leave it on the street.

Small, light 2t. KDX220 or KTM 200, 250. I wouldn't even bother with the KTM 300; overkill. Something light and nimble. Easy on the bod for woods play. Maybe think about a set of screw'ed tires later for goofing around on ponds, but give up the dream of winning ice races @ Sturbridge or anything. Don't even think about sumo'ing. Keep the SV for gap trips and track days.

Right tool for the job.

While Colin is correct in his assessment more or less, he forgets you're a breeder. I'm buying a 350 because it does everything so well. It will keep the dirt wheel set mounted 99% of the time (trails and daily commute.) It will also most definitely have a set of 17's in case I want to head up north for a seacoast ride, or go and do a track day.

Breeders don't have time for 5 motorcycles. Damnit I wish I did, but I just bought a pair of Dad shoes for the sole purpose of not having to take the time to tie laces anymore.

Lifer

Yeah. And the bicycle obsessed one did the same recently too. So you may be onto something.

I've ridden the 350 KTM. Was an XC-W with the bare minimum of streety bits tacked to it. Not the slightly detuned EXC with extra EPA bits. I found the fuel injection great and the bike felt pretty light and agile. And of course the suspension was top notch. Very woods friendly. But the power wasn't super exciting. I have this nagging feeling that if you bolt 17's to it and show up at a track day you're going to be working very hard to pass EX300's... just like I was on the DRZ.

Meanwhile with a 450 EXCR you can whack the right grip and let the grunt do the passing for you. Downside with the 450 is it is carb'ed. But Clayton is cool with carbs. Few G's less too.

I'd still like to see him land on a pure toy 2t. He's got the garage space. Maint is a non-issue with them. Air cleaner now and then. <1L of oil 2-3x year and otherwise forget about it. He's already got the SV for seacoast rides and track days. (What he lacks is the time for those!)

Page 1 of 28 123456789101121 ... LastLast