Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

I'm dumb. Y'all know it. So make me be less dumb. KDX? CRF? KTM?

Re: I'm dumb. Y'all know it. So make me be less dumb. KDX? CRF? KTM?

They all spooge out the pipe a little. Just ride it!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Try this well before you go replacing that plate.

But I think you are overthinking this.
    I'm the type of person who wants confidence in his machines. In all my years of riding, I've only had a mechanical twice (both times, throttle cable snapped). Never been stranded. I find a lot of things that could of stranded me during my routines of going through new to me bikes.

I know it's just a dirtbike, but I like to make things right.

The pipe was bent so much that you could see the opening of it while the other side was bottomed out in the port. There is a deep worn in ring at that angle in the intermediate flange now.

I'm going to try the o-rings (there were none at all) and the sealer. If that doesn't hold, I'll order up the new flange. It's only $75 or so.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 11-15-16 at 09:19 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Next chance to ride it will be this Sunday. Weather is lookin good so far.....

Still need to swap out the rear wheel bearings.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I changed my rear wheel bearings earlier this year due to them getting a little crunchy. It's about as straight forward as it gets other than KTM wheel spacers being difficult to remove occasionally.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    It's only $75 or so.
    Hey man. Your money, your time. And ultimately your ride. But do you really think a leaky pipe is going to leave you stranded?! That thought has never even crossed my mind.

Whatever you do, don't let a somewhat leaky pipe get in the way of getting out and enjoying the machine. GO RIDE! I think you'll be fine.

If it was a leaky pipe, I'm cool with it. They all leak. That's not a big deal.

More exhaust was coming out the front than the back. The blow-by was that bad. I was getting worried about it running WAY too lean, which it already was due to the high temp summer jetting. Combine that with zero backpressure from essentially an open exhaust and thoughts of popping my new bike on the first rip started going through my head.

Either way, the pipe needed to be bent straight. The large worm gear hose clamp "helping" the pipe stay in the exhaust port by pulling it closer to the frame was actually cutting into the wiring harness that goes to the stator. I'm surprised it hadn't started to short yet, it was crossing a couple bare wires where it rubbed through the exterior harness loom and then the individual wire insulation. I still need to hit that with some dielectric grease and a good thick helping of electrical tape until I get ambitious and pull the harness apart to shrink wrap it proper.

It's my money which I don't have a ton of (well, I don't want to use it on unnecessary things), but it's also my legs if I have to push this thing back to the parking lot from the farthest point out at Clough.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    did you (or the seller) not know about the pipe?

kinda felt like you should've gotten a turn key bike with your budget...unless this was so cheap, that the condition of the pipe was irrelevant
    I inspected the bike thoroughly when I bought it. PO alerted me to everything he was familiar with that was wrong. I hold no ill will. It had a couple little things I missed that I honestly believe he didn't know about, but no show stoppers.

Pipe was/is in good shape, just took a hit which tweaked the entry port significantly in relation to the exhaust port in the cylinder. a 4' crowbar straightened it out back to nearly perfect in 3 minutes. Has a small dent in the side, not 1/2" deep. No issue there.

This bike was closer to half my budget. With the mods/Rekluse/new tires/recent maintenance/etc, it was a good deal. Even with the stuff I found after the fact. I'm happy. Counting all the parts and gear I've had to buy so far, I'm still into a fully modded Rekluse equipped 2009 KTM 200 XC for well over a grand under my budget. I can't complain with that.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Meh.
    Trust me. However grumpy you were that I didn't go Sunday, I was 10x that. Just ask my wife and entire extended family who I saw that day instead of riding.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Nope. Bearings were good.

The spacers are toast. In this bike, the spacers sit inside the bearings. KTM decided to make them out of aluminum. Not only to they start to wear and make you think your bearings are shot (loose wheel, lateral play), but the seals wear grooves into the metal quickly letting all sorts of New England into your inner hub.

Luckily a few people make a kit that replaces the spacers with stainless ones.

Last edited by TheIglu; 11-16-16 at 02:29 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

not sure if you've purchased yet but the SKF Wheel Seal kits get rave reviews. the system is unique in that the moving parts are contained entirely in the seal.

Slaven's and AOMC carry them.

Last edited by typeone; 11-16-16 at 02:55 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Nope. Bearings were good.

The spacers are toast. In this bike, the spacers sit inside the bearings. KTM decided to make them out of aluminum. Not only to they start to wear and make you think your bearings are shot (loose wheel, lateral play), but the seals wear grooves into the metal quickly letting all sorts of New England into your inner hub.

Luckily a few people make a kit that replaces the spacers with stainless ones.
    Toss the bearings in anyways since its apart. .02

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Oh, for sure. Once I hit them out with a drift, I never trust them again.

New spacers on the way.

Clinton, would of gone with those dandy spacers, but the All Balls steel ones were 2 days away for $20 and I REALLY want to try this bike out before the snow flies. Maybe once these bearings/seals go....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

This Rekluse saved my bruised, sore and exhausted ass a few times today. Still use the clutch, but so nice never stalling it!

Suspension needs to be softened up, pro-bends need to be ordered and I need to hit not as many immovable objects next time. But overall, today went well. I was out of gas physically within an hour. I guess that's what happens when you ride on the first wet/snowy day since all the leaves fell.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

sounds like a blast!!

where's your sony video

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Nobody wants to see paint dry.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Sony video?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Glad you got out. Overall, what's your opinion of the machine?

Keep in mind, my experience in dirt is primarily a CR125. Peaky. Light. Twitchy. Nimble. It's like a mountain bike with a foot of suspension. That being said, I'm only going to be comparing it to what I know.

Engine: Great. Way more low end/midrange. Plenty of top end, though not as furious as the little ring-dinger I'm used to. Fires up first kick 90% of the time. Jetting is spot on. Fixing the exhaust and putting in those new Viton o-rings really helped I think. She's tight now, doesn't even spooge. That Rekluse though. Oh man. It's fucking cheating and I love it. Used the clutch normally 95% of the time, but to have the bike never stall when you end up in the shit is amazing. Even when you have a get-off, it just sits there happily idling away in 1st gear. Who needs electric start when your bike never dies?

Handling: Feels long and heavy, not sure if it actually is or just the way it's setup currently. Suspension is too stiff for me, but I knew that going in. Tried backing off the clickers, but it's sprung for a 195lb-er. I'm 160 or so. Steering I found that I need to back off the steering stops since I was hitting full lock a few times on the tight stuff. My timing was WAY off on lofting the front end over logs. That caused a few pretty nasty wheelies after the obstacle instead of before it. That and my front end would pogo up instead of absorbing. Ended up taking one big spill where the bike hit a cluster of trees and I went superman into a puddle/rock and hit my thigh pretty good. I might drop the bars back to the rear mounting position on the triple vs the forward most mount right now. Felt like I was really over reaching to stay over the bars while standing.

Gearing is fine. This was single track right bar banging shit with a ton of steep rocky rooty hills all covered in thick layer of freshly downed and snowy/wet leaves. I used 1st and 2nd most of the day. No issue.

Current grips are for Donald Trump handed people. I need my big fat Pro-Grip 714's. I have large smart people hands. My meat hooks were killing me within 20 minutes, but that was also caused by the first 20 minutes of the ride being through a never ending rock garden on the power lines.

Cycra Pro-Bends will be next with those new grips. I bounced off a few trees. Even took the bark off one. Hit so hard that my radiator shroud went one way, bike went the other. Thanks be to whoever put the MSR radiator guards on this thing. Would of been a LONG push back to the truck....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Sounds pretty much the same as I would review my 250xc with Rekluse, except that I got the suspension sprung and set up for me.

The one thing that bothers me a bit about the bike is the peg/handlebar relationship...coming from Hondas and using my xc for motocross (which obviously it's not designed for), sometimes my weight gets so far forward while standing that it feels like I'm going to smash my face into the front fender if I hit a big whoop. I don't really even know what to do with handlebar bend or settings to fix it...probably just bad body position or something but I never noticed it on Hondas.

I get that same feeling.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Bars in the forward setting can make steering feel heavy too.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Bars in the forward setting can make steering feel heavy too.
    Then back they go!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Current grips are for Donald Trump handed people. I need my big fat Pro-Grip 714's. I have large smart people hands. My meat hooks were killing me within 20 minutes, but that was also caused by the first 20 minutes of the ride being through a never ending rock garden on the power lines.
    I hate skinny grips too, but that hand pain is probably more death grip than a thickness issue. Especially if the suspension is too stiff and you feel stretched out.

Btw, you rode with the fb group right? I cancelled before I went to bed after seeing the weather report. Too far a drive for me to be worth it. Would have been nice to put a face to the screename though. Maybe next time.

nedirtriders.com

I did, in fact Evan mentioned your Futura during a chat after I was spent on a hill climb getoff.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR