Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7171819202122232425262728 LastLast

I'm dumb. Y'all know it. So make me be less dumb. KDX? CRF? KTM?

Re: I'm dumb. Y'all know it. So make me be less dumb. KDX? CRF? KTM?

Still thinking getting the NH sticker would be worth the 2-3 times I might be able to make it to Clough with you clowns. Small investment, decent returns if I can find a few free Sundays/Saturdays.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I hear ya man. I've still only ridden about 5 times this year to date in spite of my quick access. I've been able to sell trail clearing sessions as "family walks in the woods." Probably 95% of the trail work is with a nice wood handled Brazilian machete.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

I didn't realize clough was 1.5 hours for you.
    May still be worth it. The place is fun. Aside from the sausage fest it is the only place I really ride the 200. The upside is it is ~1 hour for me.. now a cool 40 min..
    I often think the 200 is wasted on me. Then I remember how stupid easy it is to keep and how much it shines at clough. On the sausage trip I got some compliments for riding well. Truth told I'm cheating with a solid 50 lbs less hardware between my knees. I know we alway say its the rider not the bike, but this thing really does make me suck less.
    And it's a 2-stroke. No valves to take care of.
    Wash it. Drop the 700ml of gear oil periodically. Keep the air cleaner clean and it won't give a shit how much or how little you ride it.

I setup a little loop on my 2.7 acre spot by hand, without the aid of a glorified lawn tractor. I knocked over a few pines to slow me down. Managed to cut a pretty sweet berm or two. Found a small rock to hop and some trees to slalom. Could roll the whole thing in 3rd. My only complaint was it was stupid flat. Hoping I can cut something at the next place with some delta in the elevation. The idea of an extreme enduro firewood or tire box was in my head too. Intent was to turn one of the pines into a balance beam.. but I suck too much for that.

Yeah man. Without a plate, it gets real hard to get ANY seat time. Intent on getting a dirty again was "something I can hop on for an hour here or there to go ride local -tolerated- trails". When it popped up, everyone said to jump on it and just toss lights on it. I should of investigated more on how hard that would be. Turns out it wasn't an easy or cheap fix.

The shitty part is that I can sit outside in my yard and hear bikes/quads most weekends. People ride locally, just either illegally (not willing to do that), or on big plots of private land that they don't share. My old dude neighbor I used to help out got evicted from his rundown farmhouse cause there was no working septic anymore, so there goes 85 acres across the street of sweet land to run. And two weeks after I bought the bike, Little Monadnock trail system got closed for good 15 minutes from my house.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I would just go ride it. Don't over think things. occasional ride throughs on tolerated areas and you will never have a problem. I've been doing that for years. I just did the sicass kit/plate thing on my XC-F, and guess what? It's expensive, and I don't think it has gotten me out of any trouble in the 2 seasons I've had it. I could have done all the same riding including street connectors without it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

I still think the numbers you are throwing around for a light kit are totally worth it. You're going to loose way more than that horse trading this thing away for something less enjoyable once you do finally get rolling on it.

The problem is the legal mumbo jumbo without the paperwork. I feel your pain there. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you had the paperwork in order you'd be a light kit and some $ to the state away from a plate and legal-'nuf status. No?

If it were just the $ for the light kit I'd tell you to stop being a cheapass and justdoit.
    Should carry some weight considering this is me saying that.

Now that I own bub’s drz/klx, ive been riding it a bunch more than the 250xc non-street legal that I still have. Dual sport is fun.

One thing that hasnt come up in the whole decision in this threaf about adding lights and reg (assume eventually MA reg, via VT reg first) is that the bike is worth a LOT more in Mass when you sell it if Mass registered and titled. FWIW, former owner of my ‘09 250xc was able to get it MA titled and registered. Still has no
    lights, i think he did it on the Vineyard or one of the other islands

If you have a lighting coil enduro light then I did the rest for under 100 from ebay and got a VT plate

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Well, I was going to de-list the thing from the interweb selling headache this weekend, and two guys messaged me about it last night.

One drove up with a couple friends who are familiar (one owns a 300) today, checked it out, rode it up and down the street, and took it home. Got better than asking price cause I threw in my old Oneil boots I was planning to replace anyways.

So now I sit here with $3k extra in my pocket and no need to rush into doing anything to get use out of a bike I don't have time for right now. When I DO have time, I'll be able to buy what I want.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Perfect

Take the Vstrom off road that Bi-annual off road run...or even borrow from someone that has a 4t and 2t and can loan the other

kinda jelly to hear you guys have 3 acres of land...that is just not available in orange county...I do miss being able to ride out of my parent's garage into the backyard; thus a plated/urban off-road run + plated/dirt road up the mountain + 2 hour drive to ride decent stuff are my only options. I know the time is an obstacle to build...but maybe have a trail cutting party...I'm sure some would be happy to help set it up in exchange for a ride on the land every now and then

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-28-17 at 11:47 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

That sucks

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That sucks
    Yeah, it does, but two weeks later I found out I need to replace my septic tank. $$ helps.

Still want to find something a little more suited to my needs in the spring. We'll see how shit pans out.

FYI Bubs, this video is where I do my riding. Now you can see how tight and technical it is. This place is HARD if you want it to be.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Still want to find something a little more suited to my needs in the spring.
    May I recommend a KTM 200 2-stroke. I really like mine..

It'll be a plate-able 4-thump.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

More wrenching, less riding. Got it. Good call.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Don't forget that we live in a state where registering a 2T is simple and straight forward. Clayton doesn't have that luxury.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Also, if you're legal in NH because of R.S.A. 215-A:35-39, you may not be legal in other states.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

He doesn't? Why not? Does the MA DMV give a shit if it's got valves in it or not?
    I thought KTMs were valued partly because their CO's didn't have the dreaded "not for whatever" branding. Is that only for their 4t offerings? Surely not!
    Paul just registered what I thought was an SX model with relatively little static. Can't be that hard.

2 stroke, 4 stroke, as long as there is less distortion in your video

at least use a wah pedal or something

edit 2: at least use a "braaap" pedal or something

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-13-17 at 02:33 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

More wrenching, less riding. Got it. Good call.
    Lol. You should know better.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

It'll be a plate-able 4-thump.
    Petorius is selling his '99 KDX220 that's CT plated, I think he only wants $1500 for it. I know it has only has 2 of the 4 strokes you're looking for but other than that it does everything you want it to. At that price...I wouldn't feel too bad about it sitting idle for long periods of time.

Does the MA DMV give a shit if it's got valves in it or not?
    It's an RMV in Massachusetts, sir.

He doesn't? Why not? Does the MA DMV give a shit if it's got valves in it or not?
    I thought KTMs were valued partly because their CO's didn't have the dreaded "not for whatever" branding. Is that only for their 4t offerings? Surely not!
    Paul just registered what I thought was an SX model with relatively little static. Can't be that hard.
    The KTM I had was an exercise in turning a $2500 bike into a $3500 bike all said and done to get it plated/legal in MA, then having it suck for my intended purpose. No CO. No title. Would need to go the Vermont route, then wait six months and plate here after.

MA also now reports inspection status to your insurance company electronically. That's a big HEY FYI, for all you "good enough" plated people in MA. Ramifications of un-inspected bike getting into an insurance claim worries me.

Paul bought his bike new. He had the option to plate it via the CO route. I didn't.

I'm OK with a V-Strom-esque in it's lack of specialization "do it all" off roader. If it's not quite as nimble/light off road in the tight stuff, but makes for a nice little thump for around town exploring dirt roads, then I'll be good with it.

This bike will take me around town, up the unmaintained roads, and to some local trails as shown in the video.

That wasn't going to be the 200. Sorry. It is a great bike for Clough, single track, etc, so don't get so offended it wasn't the right fit for me.

A perfect bike that sits is worse than a meh bike that I get to ride. Simple as that.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Petorius is selling his '99 KDX220 that's CT plated, I think he only wants $1500 for it. I know it has only has 2 of the 4 strokes you're looking for but other than that it does everything you want it to. At that price...I wouldn't feel too bad about it sitting idle for long periods of time.
    Still not quite what I'm after, though I did consider it. Specifically, the insurance knowledge of my inspection status and the new super strict inspection situation in MA.

I'm in the market for a plated, from the factory ideally, thumper. 250-500cc. The lighter, the better, but it's not super important.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

FYI Bubs, this video is where I do my riding. Now you can see how tight and technical it is. This place is HARD if you want it to be.

Me and my ugly neon pants make a few brief appearances in this. A seam finally ripped open on Saturday and I'm not sure I'm too sad about it.

If I remember right, the Beta he's riding is a full street bike from the factory. Sell some of your fleet. You need one.

nedirtriders.com