Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81819202122232425262728

I'm dumb. Y'all know it. So make me be less dumb. KDX? CRF? KTM?

Re: I'm dumb. Y'all know it. So make me be less dumb. KDX? CRF? KTM?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    More wrenching, less riding. Got it. Good call.
    Sorry, try again. I haven't had to do any wrenching on my 4strokes. The KTMs are especially bulletproof ironically. Don't get me wrong. I love 2 strokes. I cannot say with a straight face that they are better in any real world way to a modern 4stroke MX bike. A KTM 250F is a phenomenal bike. Aggressive, powerful, stable, easy to ride fast. Mine has tall 5th and 6th gears for transfers and road sections, magic button. No jetting to fuss with. (I did have to dial in the TPS setting though). Platable. For me, 2 strokes are an exciting page in my riding history...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

ya they pretty good

Clay's not buying a brandy new ktm...but still should be aight

I think they all can blow up eventually if ya ride a lot and don't maintain it...doesn't sound like Iglu gonna ride a lot tho...should last

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-13-17 at 04:13 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Sorry, try again. I haven't had to do any wrenching on my 4strokes. The KTMs are especially bulletproof ironically. Don't get me wrong. I love 2 strokes. I cannot say with a straight face that they are better in any real world way to a modern 4stroke MX bike. A KTM 250F is a phenomenal bike. Aggressive, powerful, stable, easy to ride fast. Mine has tall 5th and 6th gears for transfers and road sections, magic button. No jetting to fuss with. (I did have to dial in the TPS setting though). Platable. For me, 2 strokes are an exciting page in my riding history...
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on the EFI two-strokes. They take away jetting and hopefully add a little reliability. But, yeah, it's hard to argue against the fact that four-strokes are simply better bikes.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I can't really say until it comes out. But I can imagine DI making 2 strokes a more flexible platform. That plus estart will start chipping away at the weight advantage. But you still "benefit" from the less rotating mass.

Here's the thing though, I find the weight and added stability of the gyro effect an advantage on the 4t. There is NOTHING scarier than getting the swaps in 4th gear whoops on a s stroke... LOL.

Paul_E_D

The 2t/4t debate is a complete wash for me. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

If they didn't sound like shit...

And your reliability is based on a new bike. Clay will want used. I have a really hard time buying a used 4 stroke dirty bike, as it has gone wrong multiple times in the past and cost $$$$.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Baahhh. I like them both for different reasons. Although the newest 2T stuff is very 4T feeling. If it made sense i would keep my 4giddy but honestly it will just sit there most of the time. It is nice on long rides and motarding

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'm in the market for a plated, from the factory ideally, thumper. 250-500cc. The lighter, the better, but it's not super important.
    Cool. Just get ready to open that wallet!

Sorry, try again. I haven't had to do any wrenching on my 4strokes. The KTMs are especially bulletproof ironically.
    Your bike is brand new! You also opened your wallet.

I'd be leery of any modern, light, EFI 4t priced below $3k. I'd be highly skeptical that they would not be beat.

And KTM 2t's aren't exactly fragile. Again, ask anyone that's ridden with me!

Cheap. Light. Low maint. Entirely street legal. ... In my view he's asking for a unicorn. Supremely interested to see what he actually drags home.

Maybe a WR250R.. I suppose?!? Still not within budget. Not really that light either.

And no, this is not personal for me. Just interested in seeing a friend get into a decent machine and get out to ride. With a 2 y/o in the house I think he's got a lot of his time spoken for. I get it.

I'm kicking around the idea of plating my WR450F and setting it up as pretty much the same use he mentions, save the single track. (KTM 200 will get the nod for that. WR is much toooooo heavy!) But I damned sure have a lot more than $3k into it!

Ok, I wasn't thinking about his budget. My bike is a 2014 and would be plenty reliable to a new owner. But it's still worth 4k or more.

Paul_E_D

My budget has expanded for the right machine. That's the nice thing about selling the KTM. I made a few shiney nickles on the deal and now could justify up to $5k quite easily.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

My budget has expanded for the right machine. That's the nice thing about selling the KTM. I made a few shiney nickles on the deal and now could justify up to $5k quite easily.
    No compromises at that price range.

Paul_E_D

So you're saying you should have just bought that 350 we posted back at the beginning of this thread?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

$5k?! Well, okay then : For Sale 2008 KTM EXC-R 450

You/we know the buyer. He takes top-shelf care of his shit. This particular one just got the full-up redo by a professional machinist who knows wtf he's doing. The bike is adult owned and ridden. The bike is light, has more power than you will ever use, is very well set up and easy to ride. Even has the e-button.

It's the one. Go get it.

Spring. No rush.

Now if it had the motard bits with it... and ice tires... and a babysitter two weekend days a month....

Last edited by TheIglu; 11-14-17 at 10:23 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    So you're saying you should have just bought that 350 we posted back at the beginning of this thread?
    Notice the title of the thread?

It still applies. Lol.

Really though, I bought a bike, fixed it up, then sold it off for a decent profit. Rode it once. Learned what I can use. I did like the 200, but it just didn't lend itself to being ridden enough. Plate, thump, little more street friendly will.

Now I know what type of bike I'll actually be able to use vs the one I had. Lesson learned, no love lost.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

KTM 350 EXC-F is awful nice too. $5k might be the low end for those. Probably within reach. I rode an earlier 350 XCF-W that had some minor fueling issues. IIRC that was fixed by the dealer. Bike was nice and light and very well equipped. Part of what finally lit a fire under my ass to upgrade from the DRZ400S. I could see a 350-F being a real nice compromise machine. The catch would be finding a clean, not abused instance for reasonable $. IIRC that was a $10k bike new.

Maybe a WR250R on the radar too. A bit less exciting. A bit more utilitarian.

Although I think passing on that 450 EXC-R is possibly a mistake. Good, clean, known history. That's so key. I'm not sure you're ever going to get a used bike that clean. And its an EXC so entirely above board on the paperwork.
    Pull the battery, put it on a tender and push the bike to the back of the garage until spring.

5k is certainly within reach for a stock 350xcfw.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    KTM 350 EXC-F is awful nice too. $5k might be the low end for those. Probably within reach. I rode an earlier 350 XCF-W that had some minor fueling issues. IIRC that was fixed by the dealer. Bike was nice and light and very well equipped. Part of what finally lit a fire under my ass to upgrade from the DRZ400S. I could see a 350-F being a real nice compromise machine. The catch would be finding a clean, not abused instance for reasonable $. IIRC that was a $10k bike new.

Maybe a WR250R on the radar too. A bit less exciting. A bit more utilitarian.

Although I think passing on that 450 EXC-R is possibly a mistake. Good, clean, known history. That's so key. I'm not sure you're ever going to get a used bike that clean. And its an EXC so entirely above board on the paperwork.
    Pull the battery, put it on a tender and push the bike to the back of the garage until spring.
    Yeah, I know, but it's not something I need to store right now. Next year.

I agree that the 350 XCF-W would just be the bees knees for what I'm lookin for.

For someone who's been looking for a new do it all sport tourer/adv bike for the last millenia, you sure are pushy

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

XCF-W is a law bender bike, no different than my 200 XC-W. You need an EXC/EXC-F or bust, no?!

For someone who's been looking for a new do it all sport tourer/adv bike for the last millenia, you sure are pushy
    Nice. Way to throw the discussion off topic.

It's okay. I'll own the ST/ADV'er indecision and eventual renege. I even feel a little bad about it. Long story I fortunately don't have to explain publicly. So.

Yeah, whatever the super value meal with the lights already on it one is.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

No. You will be told what to buy and like it.

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: