Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Is this anyone here

Re: Is this anyone here

Because the old people that make the rules never had any fun. Why should you?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    This is EXACTLY true. They are better for the environment in every way compared to boats, and yet they are banned much more often. Who's agenda is that?
    It's an open item on the pond here, not banned but for some reason people are discussing a ban. Nobody has seen a single jet ski on the water here in over a decade yet they want them banned. Only reasoning offered so far is that once the "kids" find out it's legal, they'll take over the place. I'm not buying that.

edit to include - Thank you for the info you shared about jet skis. Anyone have a good link to facts I can use to help settle fears of the unknown for my older neighbors?

Last edited by cdovego; 11-30-16 at 02:38 PM.
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Dirt bikes and jet skis are only half the problem. Get rid of those fucking snowboarders!!!!

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Or the smaller recreational toys are used by a lot of trouble makers.

I flat out disagree there is a money agenda and look more toward the folks who ruin it for the rest of us by causing trouble on the machines in question.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think money has a little to do with it, from an economic impact perspective anyways. Snowmobiles are a huge revenue stream to northern NH, to the extent that some of the smaller towns live and die by snowmobile tourism. It's in the best interest of those regions to allow that type of activity, despite having the highest fatalities per year of any motorized recreational sport. SxS's and ATVs are also a hugely growing form of motorized recreation, and again northern NH is doing everything they can to keep trails open for those activities. They tear up the environment just as much as dirt bikes do, and have just as many idiot riders. I recall a pretty significant number of trail markings in Pittsburg that allowed ATVs but not dirt bikes. Both sports have a pretty high cost of entry...sleds, SxS's and ATVs aren't cheap like they used to be. They seem to be climbing up the socioeconomic ladder as primary users, and its those people that have louder voices because of their deeper pockets.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Ok, now we are just arguing for the sake of proving me wrong. Do you know how much a wakeboard boat costs? Or any ocean worthy boat for that matter? There is nothing in the moto world to compare. And how many of the 12 o'clock boys have boats? Hmmm? There IS class warfare going on in the environmental movement. Ignore it if you like. I'm not even poor, I have just been educated on this issue by one of the most interesting minds in conservation. A guy named Bird Westall.
    "A man convinced against his will,
    Is of the same opinion still."

DEATH TO THE PIGS IN WACO!!!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Why are dirtbikes still semi-isolated to the blue collar crowd? I know there's desk jockeys buying brand new KTMs, but most motos seem like they're riding in the back of someone's work truck. Is it that you really have to know how to DIY to some degree for it to be practical? Not sure I buy that because boats don't have that problem.
    because it's an extremely tough sport that requires dedication on multiple fronts to really have any true "fun" doing it. many dirt riders come and go fairly quickly.

Beta 200RR

In other words, any healthy person under 60 who doesn't ride dirt bikes is a pussy.

And if there were less pussies, we could all ride wherever we want. Like rail berms on the warning track at Fenway and ride the terrain park at Okemo with spikes and roost thru town with one arm while the other alternates between peace sign and the middle finger.

(Just kidding and no offense to anyone in this thread who doesn't ride dirt bikes!)

Why are dirtbikes still semi-isolated to the blue collar crowd? I know there's desk jockeys buying brand new KTMs, but most motos seem like they're riding in the back of someone's work truck. Is it that you really have to know how to DIY to some degree for it to be practical? Not sure I buy that because boats don't have that problem. Engine doesn't work, take it to the shop or send the boat mechanic down to the dock. Meanwhile, the MTB seems to have a high adoption rate with the six figure bunch. Less intimidating, but still requires transportation and trips to the shop.
    I understand your observation but I'm not sure I agree. NETRA and J Day events are attended by all types. The people I run into at Clough have spanned the employment gamut. The club I belong to (MVTR) has members that include the unemployed, laborers, plumbers, mechanics, pilots, carpenters, cops, engineers, bankers, scientists, teachers, lawyers, veterinarians, etc.

Blue collar doesn't have to mean low income, less book smarts, and a pickup truck just as white collar doesn't have to mean affluent, no common sense, and a BMW.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

My observations is in part influenced by the groups in the NETRA and JDay parking lot. Not that I've attended many. But I think it definitely leans strongly in the trades. I didn't mean to tie this to income, but might have accidentally done that with my phrasing about the MTB bunch. By that, I was just trying to reference a stereotype of the current MTB demographic. Dirtbiking isn't a cheap hobby and many of the sample I've seen certainly weren't having trouble finding spare cash.

nedirtriders.com

I didn't mean to tie this to income, but might have accidentally done that with my phrasing about the MTB bunch.
    It does take a certain amount of disposable income to justify a $5K+ price tag on a bicycle that isn't being used to earn you money.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    In other words, any healthy person under 60 who doesn't ride dirt bikes is a pussy.
    My wild-ass guess would be, yeah, some of the white-collar types are afraid of getting injured. That perception doesn't exist with, say, the white-collar MTB or bicycling crowd.

Last edited by number9; 11-30-16 at 06:20 PM.
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

too much stereotyping in this thread, I am what most people would consider a "white collar professional" as licensed land surveyor and certified natural scientist and don't even own a white shirt unless your including t-shirts, and I am not above sticking my head into a septic tank

based on my expertise as a natural scientist, probably the most environmentally impacting activity is not even motorsports, look closer at the impact that equestrian activities have on the environment,(the design of the space shuttle can be traced back to the width of a horse's ass) of offroad motorsports, there is no doubt that dirtbikes have the most impact, that is not to say that someone acting squidly with a $30k turbo RZR can't have more impact (I've seen the 4 point rooster tails and dust cloud one can make), in general, average use, the dirtbike has more impact, anyone can point to extremes of any sport

keep the rooster tails down when your not in the appropriate venue

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

I can't help but come back to my experience at Clough area in Dunbarton. Four double track trails open to ATVs, SxSs and bikes. Two single track trails open only to bikes. The double tracks require frequent grading and repair to water bars and erosion controls almost every season. Meanwhile the single track trails get almost no attention and are, in most cases, in very good shape.

Lifer

I roost going north, then I come back going south and roost the dirt back in place. You can call me a green collar rider.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post

Believe me, if things were different I'd be out there riding with you guys on a weekly basis however I've found the enjoyment of that type of recreation to be more frustrating than anything and for many of the reasons that have been brought up in this thread.

I grew up riding illegal , mostly state land. The enjoyment factor goes away when you constantly have to look over your shoulder and worry about getting caught. The same enjoyment factor went away as I get older at the thought of 4 hours total driving just for a few hours of riding.
    Join a club, make some friends, try and have a house with some land, offer up some time to help your friends with some trail work ... and you will likely never have to search for a place to ride again.
    I'm hoping the recent aquasition of 150 acres of land, will help respark my itch to ride again.

On the land use damage topic, as a land owner with trails, and as a rider of both atv's and dirtbikes, I am 100% certain one causes more damage than the other!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I can't help but come back to my experience at Clough area in Dunbarton. Four double track trails open to ATVs, SxSs and bikes. Two single track trails open only to bikes. The double tracks require frequent grading and repair to water bars and erosion controls almost every season. Meanwhile the single track trails get almost no attention and are, in most cases, in very good shape.
    I think that may have more to do with shear volume of ATV's/SxS usage compared to dirtbike usage. I can tell you as a landowner observing the effects on MY property that while dirtbikes tend to leave deeper longer lasting tracks, ATV's leave less deep tracks but there's two of 'em. To me, it's a wash. This one does this, but that one does that...

Of course, none of this 'them vs. us' will do ANYTHING to get more riding areas made available...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I think that may have more to do with shear volume of ATV's/SxS usage compared to dirtbike usage.
    If I remember correctly, the ratio of ATV (including SxS) to dirt bike registrations in NH is close to 10:1.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

On a related note, the ratio of inspection stickers to motorcycle registrations in Maine is 1:3.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Whew, glad I'm 74" tall. I'd hate to be a pussy.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    (the design of the space shuttle can be traced back to the width of a horse's ass)
    wat

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    If I remember correctly, the ratio of ATV (including SxS) to dirt bike registrations in NH is close to 10:1.
    That's what I'm saying! Of course double track trails are gonna get beat up more. You've got ATV's, SxS's AND dirt bikes using them!

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast