Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Jumpin shit...

Lifer

Jumpin shit...

Just curious how large of an item you guys can ride over on your dirtbikes...

e.x. flat trail with no launch/ramp/whatever, how large of a fallen tree can you ride over?

etc... etc...

Also how high of an obstacle can the bike ride over without properly pulling a wheelie, etc.. ? I.e. what kind of hit can the suspension take.

Just curious since none of the motocross/supercross/etc.. stuff on TV ever has obstacles in the course and also as a comparison to mountain biking since I imagine it is pretty freakin hard to bunny hop a dirtbike without some kind of help.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Jumpin shit...

not sure i understand properly pulling a wheely, but if i am coming up on something, i just loft the front end and pray i make it!

i have succesfully crossed logs of probably 20" diameter.
    i have also unsucessfully crossed those same logs. the unsuccesful attempts tend to hurt.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Lifer

Jumpin shit...

Ah... sounds about the same as a mountain bike then. My "oh shit" factor is about 2ft.

There is this rock wall I have been trying to ride over for a while now... some day I will get it.

Maybe someone else here has mad trials skills on their dirt bike.

Jumpin shit...

Centerline of the front axle is the general rule of thumb to go over an obstacle with little rider input, it seems like that was one of the questions you were asking? Even at the centerline if you don't lighten up the front, chances are you're taking a ride over the bars

I've gotten over a 12" tree that was still a few inches off the ground without much trouble. I usually do the slip clutch/gas thing just before the obstacle to get the front up and over and use momentum to get the ass end over

I've never seen anyone "bunny hop" a dirtbike or quad but i'm sure it can be done. I have seen it done with trials bikes though.

I rather a nice ramp in the form of a double or a table top

Yamaha

Lifer

Jumpin shit...

Yah I know you can jump them ridiculously high if you have some kind of incline..

Did you see the high jump competition in the X games? They had maybe a 5' run up and they were jumping like 30ft up in the air... really impressive.

Jumpin shit...

I saw that, those jump contests are pretty wild to watch. There's a ratio to building a ramp for a jump. I think it's something like for every 1' of rise, you need 2' of run. Gonna have me my own MX track some day in the near future

In that picture i posted, it's about 5' of verticle air with about 25' of distance, you can see the ramp to the left and the landing is where the stick is on the side of that little hill

Yamaha

Jumpin shit...

is that at uxbridge?

i wanna go, when do they open again?

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Jumpin shit...

I'll Clear up to 4 feet idepending on the shape of the obstacle, the rounder it is the bigger I can go. Vertical walls are good for about 7-8 feet.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Jumpin shit...

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    is that at uxbridge?

i wanna go, when do they open again?
    Nope, that's not Uxbridge. It's a small track in RI that some is trying to open. It's an extremely fun track but that one is closed as well. There's 3 fair sized table tops 1 nice double (in the picture above) , a triple, though i could only double it, and one that "could" be a table top for someone fast but for me, it was a nice jump with a flat landing. The guy had some killer burms as well, probably 8-10' high...

Uxbridge reopens in mid March, or so they say

Yamaha