Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Places for kids to ride in NH

Places for kids to ride in NH

We got a new TTR90 rider in the family! Looking for places in NH for him to ride... we have some dirt roads close to our house we've played on, but are there any MX-style tracks or events where he can ride with other kids? And possibly get some instruction?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Places for kids to ride in NH

MX101 has a kid's track, and in Maine MX207 has a rocking kid's setup as well. Winchester Speed Park IIRC has a kid's track...

Check out Rock Pile MX in Warren, NH. Great starter place, all the jumps are table tops. It also has a woods loop that's about a mile and connects to 30+ miles of trails.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

That's all great info, thanks! I'll probably be joining the gang soon, too. I've got my eye on a few YZ250fs

Lifer

There's also the Fremont branch of the Rockingham rail trail. That's open to ATVs and bikes seasonally. Need an OHV sticker of course. Trail is very flat, straight and pretty easy. Could be a worthy spot to get kids started. Although it is not at all challenging. I ran it on a DRZ400 supermoto one day after work.

I tried to renew my OHRV registration early last year. They returned it and said, "Send it in June." It starts/ends June 30.

We're fortunate enough to have some riding areas around us in New Durham & Alton, as well as some private trails around our town (Barnstead). Also lucky enough to have 20+ acres in New Durham we're currently cutting trails on. But we usually do a couple weekend trips up north to try out different areas up there as well. The last couple of summers we staged in North Stratford where we had direct trail access to the North Country ATV trails and those tied into a few other systems as well. We'll be exploring the Colebrook side of things this summer. Although we have a camper, when we head north we either rent a house (they can be had for the cheap up there) or stay at a campground (Big Rock, Connolly Cabins)...

How old is the boy? My 10 & 16 year olds have been ATV'ing since they were 5 & 6 and we just acquired a basket case Baja 70 dirty bike for the boy that's just about up & running...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    There's also the Fremont branch of the Rockingham rail trail. That's open to ATVs and bikes seasonally. Need an OHV sticker of course. Trail is very flat, straight and pretty easy. Could be a worthy spot to get kids started. Although it is not at all challenging. I ran it on a DRZ400 supermoto one day after work.
    For some reason, I really like the Rockingham rail trail despite it being very easy. Trying to go the 35mph speed limit is impossible when the KTM will cruise at 65 on it without trouble. I would love to see more railroad beds open to OHRVs since lots of them go through very scenic areas and I really like cruising on them.

To the OP. The requirements for younger OHRV operators changes based on age. A good summary can be found here: License & Age Restriction | New Hampshire ATV & Snowmobile Regulation Guide – 2016 | eRegulations

Basically:
    Under 12 - Helmet, adult supervised, no license or safety certificate, can't operate across roads.
    12-13 - Helmet, adult supervised, need safety certificate, can operate across roads.
    14-17 - Helmet, no supervision, need safety certificate or license, can operate across roads.
    18+ - No Helmet, can carry passengers, no supervision, need license or safety certificate, can operate across roads.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 05-03-17 at 10:01 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    For some reason, I really like the Rockingham rail trail despite it being very easy. Trying to go the 35mph speed limit is impossible when the KTM will cruise at 65 on it without trouble. I would love to see more railroad beds open to OHRVs since lots of them go through very scenic areas and I really like cruising on them.

To the OP. The requirements for younger OHRV operators changes based on age. A good summary can be found here: License & Age Restriction | New Hampshire ATV & Snowmobile Regulation Guide – 2016 | eRegulations

Basically:
    Under 12 - Helmet, adult supervised, no license or safety certificate, can't operate across roads.
    12-13 - Helmet, adult supervised, need safety certificate, can operate across roads.
    14-17 - Helmet, no supervision, need safety certificate or license, can operate across roads.
    18+ - No Helmet, can carry passengers, no supervision, need license or safety certificate, can operate across roads.
    Yeah, we also hit up the Ammonoosuc rail trail last summer. Camped in Bath at Twin River and had direct access. It's only 20 miles from end to end, but as you said, at least you get to take in some scenery. We were able to find a couple small branch trails here & there too, but they didn't go far. Rail trails are cool if you're just looking to putt around and get the kids some saddle time. But it gets old quick for our tribe and I'd guess if the OP's looking for MX-type stuff, those will get boring for them as well...

Another side note: a lot of the trail systems up north do NOT allow 2-wheel motorized vehicles - ATV/UTV only...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

There is a MotoX park in Lempster, never been there.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    There is a MotoX park in Lempster, never been there.
    NHMX, formerly Jolly Roger. it's one of the best tracks i've ever ridden.

Beta 200RR