Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Klim cat

New Klim cat

So I got the new catalogue. They are going for the rich midlife crisis market FULL STOP. No more dirt gear. All adventure, and all over the 200 dollar mark.

Boo.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: New Klim cat

I was expecting to see a picture of an actual cat.

Boo.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

lol

Paul_E_D

I too came here expecting feline pictures.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Sorry, I'm allergic.

Paul_E_D

You guys are thinking of the women's gear company, Klam.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

The only new things in their line are the ADV Rally & Rally Air jacket/pants and Women's Altitude. Klim doesn't really debut new stuff too often like the rest of the brands so no need to worry, the dirt stuff isn't going anywhere, it just isn't getting updated.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

I rode into Northampton yesterday on my KLX351, the bike was covered in mud from prior trips out. I had been working on the jetting and was wearing dirty jeans and an old t-shirt. I was also wearing work gloves, Crocs and an MX style helmet.

It occurred to me this was the perfect poseur gear. There was some other dude there with a Yamaha Virago also covered in mud. I asked him about it and he said "I have a long dirt driveway."

The people buying Kilm stuff need to understand that the e-ticket to coolness is having a bike covered in mud, not $700 pants. Turns out, take any bike, cover in mud and it's cooler.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."

LOL, Truth. I still can't wrap my brain around 700 dollar pants!!!

Paul_E_D

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

maybe if the pants jerked you off while riding?

Makes sense...Midlife peeps got money yo

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I got tired of blowing out seams in cheaper dirty pants so I bit the bullet and got a pair of Klim Dakar pants over the weekend. We'll see if they're worth the money and hold up to my heavy ass. Fortunately they aren't in the $700 bracket (less than 1/3 that number).

Last edited by ZX-12R; 04-15-14 at 06:47 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Ah, so there's not something about Kilm that just says, um, bullshit? I don't think I have ever seen Kilm stuff that was faded or damaged or had stains on it. I never even looks like it's been washed. Why is it that ever time I have seen it it looks new? Gotta look right when you head out with the other junior partners at the law firm on your adventure ride to southern New Hampshire. The only question is which luxury watch to accessorize with.

It's like the Hummer of motorcycle wear. I am sure it's very capable but it seems something someone buys as part of a package that their new motorcycle lifestyle is part of. Other people would spend that money on track days or tires.

To me, the brand it washed out.

I once saw a KTM adventure bike that was up to it's axles in mud. You know, like a big expensive KTM, really, really stuck in the woods. I'd never really seen one on any road I wouldn't drive a Honda Accord on. So, maybe Kilm stuff goes in the woods too but until I see it Kilm will remain, to me, ruggedized taffeta. It's off road costume for those that got invited to the ball.

Last edited by taxonomy; 04-14-14 at 09:58 PM.

I have been wearing Klim snowmobiling gear for years. Yes it is pricey but it has always kept me warm and dry and for that I will pay the money.

Quote Originally Posted by taxonomy View Post
    Ah, so there's not something about Kilm that just says, um, bullshit?
    My brain hurts from trying to parse your post.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    My brain hurts from trying to parse your post.
    Hahaa, Adam understood my first post. I only meant to note that everything under 150 dollars has been removed from the catalog. They used to have a section of dirt riding gear that was a little more than most, but not 200-700 dollars for a pair of pants. Maybe they still sell that stuff, but it wasn't in the catalog I got.

I actually have some of their pants. The construction is nice, but to be honest, I wore them out much faster than my Thor MX gear. I essentially wore holes through the legs with my boots. The higher end thor pants have leather on both sides of the inner legs for this reason, and seem to last indefinitely. So, more expensive does not always equal better.

Paul_E_D

I think Kilm has very consciously moved upmarket or more to the point, outmarket. They're selling manliness costumes now, to the well to do.

My wife and I spend a pretty good amount of time in New York City. At the moment bikes are very popular there. So, you'll see stuff like a Ducati 848 completely festooned with Rizoma stuff. Really, the parts cost more than some of the nicer bikes I own. The exhaust is worth as much as my entire SV. You know that bike never leaves the city, never leans over. It's made to be parked in Williamsberg.

So, you can choose to dress up as Sporty-Spice and own a Ducati or KTM RC8 or Adventure-Spice and wear a Kilm suit. You can even dress up as TrailerTrash-Spice and ride a Harley with all the Screamin' Eagle kit. It's easy, pick you style from the drop down menu. There's pleanty of people to help you groom and refine your look on the internet forum of your choice.

The fact is that Kilm can sell more suits to people who are playing at being Ewan and Charlie than you can sell to everyone else combined.

Manliness is very popular right now as a lifestyle. It looks great provided you get the right accessories: adventure bike, Kilm suit, artisan made Axe. The trouble is everyone has forgotten how to actually be a man and the last one to leave the building didn't leave any instructions. The Pouges broke up in 1996. So, we're reduced to dressing up and play acting in over priced suites. We have an entire generation that spent more time caring about the next iPhone release or posting to forums than peeling off scabs.

Here's a tip. Leave mud on your bike. Any bike, it doesn't matter. Some asshat drinking coffee from a paper cup in workboots with mud on his Virago is cooler than anyone standing next to a GSA in $700 pants.

Hey Paul, wassup?

Last edited by taxonomy; 04-15-14 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    maybe if the pants jerked you off while riding?
    This is why, in six years, I have never last more than 2 weeks at a stretch on NESR. It's no so much the vulgarity as it is the indifferent punctuation and emoticon.

Hey Adam, Does that avatar represent the Pariah rising from the ashes? LOL. I taught MSF last weekend, and have been making short poser runs on my shiny Triumph! I might see you guys some Thursday afternoon soon!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Hey Adam, Does that avatar represent the Pariah rising from the ashes? LOL. I taught MSF last weekend, and have been making short poser runs on my shiny Triumph! I might see you guys some Thursday afternoon soon!
    Yeah right, I guess it's the poor punctuation and dissing track days. That sure went over well. This pariah will stay down, it's a brief foray into the world of NESR for me. I have a rule about not posting to internet forums where I don't actually spend time with the people. Otherwise, I wind up correcting grammatical mistakes and writing diatribes about manliness boutiques. I can't help it: character flaw.

You should for sure hook up with us. Tons of trails to check out and the best street riding in MA. This way I am sure to ride some a little every week. Take advantage of the long days. It would be great to see you.

I teach this weekend. Ready, ready, ready, GO! With Phil and Dave, I think.

Hahaaa! I'll never forget that day.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by taxonomy View Post
    Tons of trails to check out...
    as in, off-road/woods? need a plate?

---

my Klim gear has been great, no complaints except maybe a tight collar on the Mojave jersey. OTB pants tend to wear faster, usually the bottoms shred, it's happened to every pair i've owned. love my older Klim Mojave pants. light, airy and pretty tough.

also think Klim's standard dirt stuff (Mojave/Dakar) is priced right in line with the other major brands at ~$170 - $200. MSR, Thor, Fox, TLD, Moose, One, etc. all ask for $170+ retail on their top tier stuff. same with the jerseys at ~$55. the 'adventure' stuff goes up from there... across the board. e.g. Moose Monarch Pass pants at $300+, Fox Legion and MSR X-Scape $200+.

now $700 - $800 pants... pricey. the Polaris buyout def didn't expand the low-end, off-road focused selection but i assume the traditional stuff will stay as-is. buddy of mine bought all new Dakar stuff last season or so, loves it.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    as in, off-road/woods? need a plate?
    Western MA in general has tons of woods roads and class three roads. Quite a bit of this is simply discontinued town roads, still on maps and still public way but degraded almost beyond recognition. This is the best kind of riding, legal and open. It remains that way since nobody really knows about it. You wont find a parking area full of trucks and trailers at the trail head, along with beer cans and trash.

It can be difficult to find your way in, but once in they continue for quite some way. I poked into it during the fall of last year and am eager to get back out. For what it's worth yes, I would say a plate is advisable. Along with a quiet exhaust and some discretion.

Last year's Berkshire Big Adventure really opened my eyes to the possibilities out there. I kept exploring and if you know how to look for it many, many miles can be ridden off road. Beyond that I looked at a lot of maps and simply took dirt roads off roads I've ridden for years. Old printed topos can yield results.

got it. wasn't sure if you meant single-track or DS stuff. i used to live in Lee and Pittsfield worked in Lee, Great Barrington, Monterey, etc. but didn't have a dirt bike at the time. wish i did.

we ride October, Beartown, Pittsfield on occasion but not as frequently anymore due to the drive out.

really need to plate my WR, it would open up a ton of great stuff.

Beta 200RR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast