Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Knee braces

Knee braces

I have the Leatt Dual Axis guards for woods riding and they are pretty good and everything. But I'm now after something more substantial. Maybe a real brace. Mostly for supermoto'ing. I figure I'm on borrowed time before I dab in the wrong spot.

LaForge showed me his Mobius X8 braces. That's what I'm after. Solid, articulating. Protection for the shin and knee cap. Tons of adjustment to get it right and snug.

Runner up at the moment is the Pod K8. I like that the cap protection pops up and can be used skiing, etc.

Requirements are must fit into a tall MX boot. Must fit under most pants, especially leather SM pants comfortably and easily.

Whatcho think?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Knee braces

First track day I ever did, with Fishtail, I remember thinking "damn, look at all these fast old dudes with knee braces."

I'd been using the EVS Web carbon fiber's for a few years back and recently got a pair of Alpinestars Fluid Tech's (carbon fiber also) to try out.

EVS Web's - http://atvgalaxy.com/media/catalog/p...1/1/115_1.jpeg
    Alpinestars - http://cdn.grindtv.com/uploads/2016/...nKneeBrace.jpg

I'm really digging the A-Stars over the EVS's. The A-Stars are slimmer, way lighter, and feel great. I've had a few big slams to my leg / knee and they've held up fine. I didn't use knee braces for a very long time riding moto but once I started, love it. Hate when I forget them now. (FWIW I used to just wear simple knee pads)

Full Disclosure: EVS and A-Stars sent me to test/try. So I don't know if this is a paid shilling or not but wanted to be up-front about it.

Last edited by a13x; 08-26-17 at 08:26 PM.
    Boston --> San Diego

I hear the Velcro and padding on the evs is easy to destroy if you try to wash the guards.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I hear the Velcro and padding on the evs is easy to destroy if you try to wash the guards.
    you're supposed to wash them

(little dishsoap and blast with garden hose once in a while)

Boston --> San Diego

I just hit 'go' on an order for Pod K4 braces. Seems the only thing they really give up to the K8 is the carbon fiber frame. I can handle a few extra oz's of whatever kind of plastic they are using. I'll be wearing these skiing this winter too.

Was watching one of the latest vids from my favorite yoootoober recently where he interviewed that old buck that rides a lot. Guy was a few weeks out of total knee replacement surgery and riding woods and MX! Midway through the video I caught that he swears by CTI braces. I looked them up and they look about on par with the Pods; very similar multi-sport design. Maybe better, who can say? Problem is no real US distribution and a bit more $, especially with the poor $ <=> rates.

Lifer

I'll be interested to hear how they fit if you bought them without trying them on. Braces are on the 'I should get around to it' list but I'm hesitant to buy without a fitting, and doubtful I'll find a shop who carries a selection to compare against. I've wondered if I should just skip right to custom, since maybe trying an out of the box model won't be less expensive in the long run if they drive me nuts and I end up replacing them anyway.

nedirtriders.com

Yeah. I figure these'd be cheaper than doing knee surgery again. Mine was a simple meniscus tear. But I'm not much for doing that again anytime soon.