Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

KTM Freeride E-XC

Re: KTM Freeride E-XC

...not if the bike is smart enough to sense loss of traction and compensates ... could just feel like linear power + a sticky tire ...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    I still think it needs a real clutch and real brakes. If i want to freewheel down a hill then I want to freewheel down a hill dammit.. Lol

I think it would take some real reprogramming of the rider to figure out how to deal with low traction climbs without the use of the clutch to maintain grip...
    You crack the throttle to get into the freewheel zone, similar to cars on snow, etc. You're used to one control schema so yeah it'll be an uphill learning curve. For those who don't know anything different it'll become second nature quickly.

Why does everyone seem to think electric is better? I'm not seeing anything that would actually improve on an internal combustion design..

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Why does everyone seem to think electric is better? I'm not seeing anything that would actually improve on an internal combustion design..
    no noise = more trails to poach = more riding

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Very few moving parts (way fewer parts in general). Torque from zero RPMs. Direct drive. Easy integration with electronic control. To name a few things.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Noise alone is the thing that makes me interested. Quiet bikes should in theory be able to be ridden in a lot of places that used noise complaints to make areas unrideable.

Think about it, if you could get similar performance out of an electric bike as you could from one that when running wide open throttle puts out 100+ db of noise, wouldn't it be better at places like Club Motorsports, Palmer etc.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Very few moving parts (way fewer parts in general). Torque from zero RPMs. Direct drive. Easy integration with electronic control. To name a few things.
    To preteens point though, those fewer parts are way more expensive to replace.
    It’s npt better yet. It could be soon though.

If you don’t think so, drive a Tesla in sport mode and romp on it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

on top of noise, I trail ride and want power all the time and I don't want to shift for power...aim for the top of the hill and just use the throttle right before a tricky section. keep the front light and most of the stuff I hit can be absorbed by the suspension as long as you have enough momentum.

and for the clutch needs, I hardly use the clutch...on a *gasp* 2-stroke! the rm125 didn't have a rear brake or working clutch (until I swapped out the barnett for oem), so I got used to varying the throttle and up/down shifting to keep it in a sweet spot. I used to ride the RM an 1/8th of a turn under the "pipe" and just aimed/shot when I needed it. the 250 I can lug way easier without stalling and it will still track forward. Dangerous AF, but I'm in tune with the power delivery

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-08-17 at 03:49 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    and for the clutch needs, I hardly use the clutch...on a *gasp* 2-stroke!
    OMG, my man, you have not lived yet! slipping the clutch like an idiot on a 2T, especially a one-two-five, is Life.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    on top of noise, I trail ride and want power all the time and I don't want to shift for power...aim for the top of the hill and just use the throttle right before a tricky section. keep the front light and most of the stuff I hit can be absorbed by the suspension as long as you have enough momentum.

and for the clutch needs, I hardly use the clutch...on a *gasp* 2-stroke! the rm125 didn't have a rear brake or working clutch (until I swapped out the barnett for oem), so I got used to varying the throttle and up/down shifting to keep it in a sweet spot. I used to ride the RM an 1/8th of a turn under the "pipe" and just aimed/shot when I needed it. the 250 I can lug way easier without stalling and it will still track forward. Dangerous AF, but I'm in tune with the power delivery

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'm just not convinced it could be your only bike. Swapping batteries, charging time, extra weight. Could never do something like Sausagefest, so I'd have to have a second bike. I guess trails aren't that important to me either since I really don't ride them.

I'm just not convinced it could be your only bike. Swapping batteries, charging time, extra weight. Could never do something like Sausagefest, so I'd have to have a second bike. I guess trails aren't that important to me either since I really don't ride them.
    Then whose sausage were you riding down south recently? I may try and weasel my way into this next year if there’s some opportunity here...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Then whose sausage were you riding down south recently? I may try and weasel my way into this next year if there’s some opportunity here...
    What happens at Sausagefest stays at Sausagefest.

I rarely need it for 70+ mile full weekends away unless it's LAB2V and I can rent a ktm 450 for $500 for the weekend or get on a guided tour with backup bike for a G

Either way, you guys know me...I will have the YZ for a looooong time before I jump to an E bike

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-08-17 at 06:05 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

What happens at Sausagefest stays at Sausagefest.
    Respect.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    no noise = more trails to poach = more riding
    I agree, but I'm really interested to see how that plays out over time. I've felt like the noise is often a crutch of an excuse to hide a 'you'll shoot your eye out' argument by overbearing nannies. The lack of noise will limit the nanny from stirring up concern from the rest of the town though. The next cover-angle will probably be erosion/environmental, or focus on net impact of battery production/destruction.

I've read that out west, mountain bikers are starting to get shit from the hikers/preservationists. Silent won't be enough for some people.
    Aside from noise, the amount of torque and it's power curve. Look at how internal combustion engines are segmented for specific purposes. Two stroke, or four? Peak power, or lugger? Tuned for gas mileage/emissions, or maximum power? What size flywheel weight do you want? I'm kinda operating on the assumption that whatever electric motor they're using is good from MX to single track and everything in between, but just comes down to on-demand computer tuning.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I agree, but I'm really interested to see how that plays out over time. I've felt like the noise is often a crutch of an excuse to hide a 'you'll shoot your eye out' argument by overbearing nannies. The lack of noise will limit the nanny from stirring up concern from the rest of the town though. The next cover-angle will probably be erosion/environmental, or focus on net impact of battery production/destruction.

I've read that out west, mountain bikers are starting to get shit from the hikers/preservationists. Silent won't be enough for some people.

Aside from noise, the amount of torque and it's power curve. Look at how internal combustion engines are segmented for specific purposes. Two stroke, or four? Peak power, or lugger? Tuned for gas mileage/emissions, or maximum power? What size flywheel weight do you want? I'm kinda operating on the assumption that whatever electric motor they're using is good from MX to single track and everything in between, but just comes down to on-demand computer tuning.
    First off its 15k.

I can buy 2 yz125's for that money and still have 2 grand leftover to buy new gear and tools.

Second off it doesn't make noise. I let a member here jump on my yz125 instead of their ktm. Their comment was the sound was amazing and made it fun to ride. Sound=fun. You'll never get that feeling of being on the pipe while hearing and feeling the bike respond.

Weight. My 13 year old yz weighs 200lbs. Why would I upgrade to a porker that's 70 pounds heavier?

Parts availability? Am I going to have to wait days to get parts since there is a limited dealer Network and aftermarket?

Don’t be a dildo, you know noise is the enemy.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Don’t be a dildo, you know noise is the enemy.
    You ride goofy trail bikes. I ride Moto. Completely different world.

Lifer

First off its 15k.

I can buy 2 yz125's for that money and still have 2 grand leftover to buy new gear and tools.

Second off it doesn't make noise. I let a member here jump on my yz125 instead of their ktm. Their comment was the sound was amazing and made it fun to ride. Sound=fun. You'll never get that feeling of being on the pipe while hearing and feeling the bike respond.

Weight. My 13 year old yz weighs 200lbs. Why would I upgrade to a porker that's 70 pounds heavier?

Parts availability? Am I going to have to wait days to get parts since there is a limited dealer Network and aftermarket?
    Congratulations - you aren't an early adopter. Me either. The price will likely come down in time. Weight will probably too. Pretty sure a lot of the parts on these bikes are common to the rest of the market. Levers, calipers, pads, bearings, etc. Parts distribution should improve as long as people buy it. Chicken before the egg. Aftermarket only comes if it's popular.

You aren't comparing apples to apples either. Assuming you're talking about the Alta, it'd be more fair to compare it to a 250 or 450 than a 125. Weight on paper isn't everything either. Rotating mass and weight distribution plays a surprising role, but I'm sure you know that. It obviously isn't enough to make it feel as light as one of the lightest production bikes on the market. A 2017 YZ450F is 247lb wet, which I think includes a full tank.

Do you really expect they're going to build a 200lb or lighter e-bike, with more power, longer runtime than a tank of gas, dealer support comparable to brands older than either of us, and an aftermarket ... all before anyone will buy it? You asked why electric was better. Not why you should buy it right now.

Edit: Noise isn't a factor for keeping moto tracks open, or building more?

Last edited by aldend123; 11-08-17 at 09:53 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

Congratulations - you aren't an early adopter. Me either. The price will likely come down in time. Weight will probably too. Pretty sure a lot of the parts on these bikes are common to the rest of the market. Levers, calipers, pads, bearings, etc. Parts distribution should improve as long as people buy it. Chicken before the egg. Aftermarket only comes if it's popular.

You aren't comparing apples to apples either. Assuming you're talking about the Alta, it'd be more fair to compare it to a 250 or 450 than a 125. Weight on paper isn't everything either. Rotating mass and weight distribution plays a surprising role, but I'm sure you know that. It obviously isn't enough to make it feel as light as one of the lightest production bikes on the market. A 2017 YZ450F is 247lb wet, which I think includes a full tank.

Do you really expect they're going to build a 200lb or lighter e-bike, with more power, longer runtime than a tank of gas, dealer support comparable to brands older than either of us, and an aftermarket ... all before anyone will buy it? You asked why electric was better. Not why you should buy it right now.

Edit: Noise isn't a factor for keeping moto tracks open, or building more?
    You ever had to pull a bike out of a mud pit? Or push a bike out? Or load a bike into a truck? Weight plays a pretty big role...

Well then they should make a smaller bike. No need for all that power.

All I'm saying is it really doesn't make sense for much unless you can't use a clutch or have a load of money burning a hole in your pocket.

The skill required to ride is diminishing at a great rate. It's challenges that make riding fun. Having electronics control everything doesn't sound appealing at all.

And noise isn't a factor where I ride. The club bought most of the houses surrounding the track.

Last edited by csmutty; 11-08-17 at 10:04 PM.

Lifer

You ever had to pull a bike out of a mud pit? Or push a bike out? Or load a bike into a truck? Weight plays a pretty big role...

Well then they should make a smaller bike. No need for all that power.
    I have. Earlier this year I lifted my bike over a chest/stomach-high tree solo, out of the breath, after failing to wheelie over it. I never said weight didn't matter at all.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the weight's in the battery. Again, the weight will probably come down in the future.

Should Yamaha stop making the 450F, and just sell the 125 because weight is the only factor? Its starting to seem like you're being difficult for the hell of it.
    All I'm saying is it really doesn't make sense for much unless you can't use a clutch or have a load of money burning a hole in your pocket.

The skill required to ride is diminishing at a great rate. It's challenges that make riding fun. Having electronics control everything doesn't sound appealing at all.
    Ah, there's the underlying issue. Change is bad. Eventually they'll have a robot riding the bike for you. Won't even have to get out of bed to do 10 laps.

If I had a stack of cash to burn, I'd already own one to add to the fleet. And I hope everyone with a stack of cash to burn does the same. Because it's good for us. Well, maybe not you. But the rest of us.
    And noise isn't a factor where I ride. The club bought most of the houses surrounding the track.
    Did they buy the properties to avoid noise issues? Can you at least acknowledge that noise plays a roll in any riding area in most of New England?

nedirtriders.com

I have. Earlier this year I lifted my bike over a chest/stomach-high tree solo, out of the breath, after failing to wheelie over it. I never said weight didn't matter at all.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the weight's in the battery. Again, the weight will probably come down in the future.

Should Yamaha stop making the 450F, and just sell the 125 because weight is the only factor? Its starting to seem like you're being difficult for the hell of it.

Ah, there's the underlying issue. Change is bad. Eventually they'll have a robot riding the bike for you. Won't even have to get out of bed to do 10 laps.

If I had a stack of cash to burn, I'd already own one to add to the fleet. And I hope everyone with a stack of cash to burn does the same. Because it's good for us. Well, maybe not you. But the rest of us.

Did they buy the properties to avoid noise issues? Can you at least acknowledge that noise plays a roll in any riding area in most of New England?
    It's not called being difficult. It's called having an opinion. Being quiet might help short term, but people are going to find something else to complain about. Change isn't always bad, but it's not always better. Our town installed an electric car charging station 4 or so years ago. I've seen exactly one car use it during that time. Don't you think if it was better more people would have bought the Kool aid? I mean... It is free fuel...

You ride goofy trail bikes. I ride Moto. Completely different world.
    Please spare us. You raced woods too.

You have some very valid points in this discussion, there’s no need to be obtuse

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Please spare us. You raced woods too.

You have some very valid points in this discussion, there’s no need to be obtuse
    Don't derail this thread with facts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast