Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Learning from the master

Re: Learning from the master

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    See, I don't see those cats bombing through things using speed. I see them knowing how to and being able to put down just enough power to carry just enough momentum to get through and having such epic balance and bike control that they make it look easy.
    that's what i mean by bombing, forward motion at all times. speed will vary.

all the slow practice drills are great for building balance and skill but then you actually put them to use while riding at speed. and that could be fast or slow but you still need to be 'bombing' or 'attacking' everything as best as you can. that goes for beginners to experts. riding lazy gets you hurt.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    To be clear on my point, and I know you know because we ride in the zone.. I'm only talking about a small amount of extra mo. Just a tad more roll speed.
    I think you and I are on the same page.
    Maybe we all are. Bits like "bombing" and "I'm full speed ahead, full time." had me confused.
    Must be the internets factor.

My whole point is I value being upright more than being fast. If one leads to the other, so be it. But my immediate goal is to work on bike handling and balance. I don't feel the need to go any faster than I am nowadays.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I actually think it IS better to ride hard. Sure way for me to crash is to back off. LOL

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    riding lazy gets you hurt.
    100% when I get lazy whether it be at the end of the day or when I am just tooling along following others bad things happen. I try to make a habit of when following others to take a different and typically more difficult line to keep my attention. Plus it helps me identify sometimes better lines when riding the places we go more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    If one leads to the other, so be it.
    Typically it will. As Adam said, a slight increase in pace can make all the difference in how the ride feels. We're not talking Kalib Russell pace here but just keeping enough momentum to roll over some of the obstacles as opposed to roll through some of them. I find myself sometimes spending energy to steer around things that with a little pace I can roll right over and not even notice. When I notice I immediately try to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Sure way for me to crash is to back off.
    Yup! I'm not running the pace you and some of the other fast guys do but I find when I knock it back too far things get hairy.

I actually think it IS better to ride hard. Sure way for me to crash is to back off. LOL
    Yeah, ask Jc how that works out.

Seriously, just because fast dudes are full tilt, full time, doesn't mean that's how everyone is going to ride.
    I sure as shit don't ride like that.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Yeah, ask Jc how that works out.

Seriously, just because fast dudes are full tilt, full time, doesn't mean that's how everyone is going to ride.
    Go out and ride an mx or sx track at 50-70 percent and let me know how it works out. Seriously, some terrain requires such good technique that easing out of "the zone" is dangerous. At least in my experience. I'm not a woods racer, but I do better out there when I hustle. Maybe I just suck? Who's Jc?

Paul_E_D

@Paul no, you guys are in agreement, think you took Chip's comment wrong.

JC (maxim_X) will fill in detail but it's a terribly perfect example of what we're talking about

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    exactly.

Last edited by typeone; 11-21-16 at 08:04 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Go out and ride an mx or sx track at 50-70 percent and let me know how it works out. Seriously, some terrain requires such good technique that easing out of "the zone" is dangerous. At least in my experience. I'm not a woods racer, but I do better out there when I hustle. Maybe I just suck? Who's Jc?
    The first line of that was to you, the rest to Colin.
    We agree on this.
    To expound (for all) I don't ride full tilt, full time. I lack the fitness and the balls. Mostly the fitness to keep letting it hang out. For hours on end.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Hahaa, yeah. Gotcha.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Whenever we get to the gnarly stuff, I just tell my buddies that "whatever you do - do not stop". It sounds easy, but it really implies that you have to think ahead, and prepare in advance for obstacles. Coming to a complete stop is what they should be trying to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12