Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

What to look for?

Lifer

What to look for?

I am starting to seriously think about ditching my VFR and picking up a dual sport.

I bought the VFR to go far from home but circumstances have stopped me from doing so... and riding twisties at 6/10 is no longer as much fun as it used to.

On top of that the scheduled maintenance for the rest of the year is going to be 1/4 of a new dual sport or 1/2 of a used one most likely.

KLR650 sounds popular - this one has the best balance of street and trail?

Is there an article/webpage on getting the offroad bikes titled for the street?

What I would like to see is Honda release an updated XR650L based on the current XR650R.... sounds like with any of the Hondas the street fuel range is sacrificed unless you get an aftermarket gas tank?

I think I am willing to sacrifice a lot of the travel ability to get decent offroad capability. At this point the idea of a bike that makes street riding challenging instead of a super-easy snooze is somewhat appealing.

If I sell the VFR even most new stuff is going to be a very easy and painless purchase so I'm not necessarily looking to scrape the barrel but if it's pointless to spend money cheap is sweet of course.

Also after the VFR maintenance is key... ideally something I would be comfortable tearing into to do the valve job myself, etc..

Still just looking but the idea has been kicking around for 6 months or so... it's either do this or buy a track bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

What to look for?

i've been feeling the same way recently...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

What to look for?

man, i would be all over the new Huskys that are 50-state legal. those are my bikes. other than those, a DR or an XL would be my choice for a 650cc range bike. my little 225 XT is the perfect commuter vehicle for city roads. practically a moped in size, 60mpg city and jumps curbs and rides trails with the best of 'em.

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

What to look for?

For the east coast smaller is better off road. 450 max is more that you'll ever use. there are many ways to get a bike on the road try these guys

http://www.bajadesigns.com/

I know the owner, he makes great kits or

http://www.elineaccessories.com/

Kevin is a multi time national and regional champ, I've installed his kits and they really do bolt right on.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

What to look for?

I've been looking around trying to decide between dualsports and sportbikes. I saw a Husky TE610 that looked pretty impressive @53HP at 309lbs. Still a bit heavy compared to the YZ250 I rode in high school, still close to most legal 400's though. Expensive at $7500.

Just Registered

What to look for?

It depends, do you just want a d/p dirtbike you can ride on the street or are you looking to start trailriding, or serious single track offroad, enduro riding?

Most important thing to think about going into the game is really what you want out of it, think percentages and amount of time you want to spend doing what. If it's commuting and maybe a crazy backwoods trip to maine on some cool trails - think big bore, DR650, KLR650, etc. If it's running to the store to get some milk, and hitting the trails for the weekend with the boys but with some street sections in between - think <451cc.

I took a few years off of street riding and was exclusively on a wr426/yz450/crfx450 in the woods. It was cool and gnarly, and I got tired of trucking my ride anytime I wanted to ride. I got a KLR650 and figured I'd sell the dirtybike and move more towards 'serious dual sport'. I later realized that the KLR was much better at really fun street riding and rippung up fire roads and the like, then it was for real trail riding. On the same token - riding my crf on the street and fire roads was boring as all hell, if there wasnt bark scrubbing the end of my gloves or a moat someone had to dare me to cross I was bored. I swore (and still do) to d/s the 450x, but for most of what I have found on the 650 - I can still get through it with ease, so I do.

p.s. If you decide a Honda 450x is your thing, I can point you to one in mint shape with a mere 29 miles on it and all the oem shop manuals, filters, and fluids to go with it

What to look for?

Originally posted by somestrangeguy
    p.s. If you decide a Honda 450x is your thing, I can point you to one in mint shape with a mere 29 miles on it and all the oem shop manuals, filters, and fluids to go with it
    I'll trade you a 250x and KLR650 for it? They're both a little dirty.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

What to look for?

Ben...I was in the same boat as you. Getting a bit bored with the street all the time. I'll assume your looking for a 4 stroke. I can give you my experience with the XR650r. Awesome motor, with 48+- hp, and UNBELIEVABLE torque! 278lbs dry...300 wet. The lowest maitenance I have ever had to deal with. Unlike alot of the 450 crowd (in particular the Hondas) valve adjustments have drastically longer intervals and are a snap, requiring an open end wrench and a screw driver. It's a tappet setup. I have yet to get it on the street but I've got some dirt miles now and it is manageable (and still fun) through eastern woods (although I'll agree with Pete on the real technical stuff). Only when you are in the very tight stuff will you feel the weight. Most singletrack is no issue. I've heard enough positive reviews of street manners to not think it will be an issue. My intended use was 90/10 dirt to street. I am more concerned with being able to fill up on longer dirt rides and wanted the street option. One thing Honda needs to change...e-start. The big XR kicks over without issue, but floods quickly when on its side. The aftermarket is fantastic with this bike. You mentioned the "L"... you'd be better off converting and "R" than buying the "L" imho. Or for a little smaller..xr400 with a DS kit.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

What to look for?

Do some poking around on the Adventure Rider board and they can give you some really good info. There are different sections for most makes of DSs too. I have been looking hard at them and asking some questions too and general concensus seems to be that a KLR650 is the way to go for a first one. I've been told you can pick up a used one in good shape for about 2g's or less. I'm told they can take a hell of a beating too.

Bras cause cancer.

Just Registered

What to look for?

Originally posted by Nikon
    I'm told they can take a hell of a beating too.
    You sir deserve a golden star, the word 'bulletproof' comes to mind. There is a reason that Kawi hasn't done anything to them in the past ~13 years or so - no need to fix what isn't broked .

For about 2k you could definetely get a decently running klr. Parts .for it are cheap, it's easy to work on, and simply put - is one of the most "fun" rides you'll have on the street. I think it looks cool too, but I own a Ridgeline so don't listen to me.

Just Registered

What to look for?

Originally posted by ChR1s
    I'll trade you a 250x and KLR650 for it? They're both a little dirty.
    Oh man great timing, where were you last weekend!

I'm actually looking to trade out of the Honda for a BMW or a Husky so I can spend less time tinkering and more time riding

Just Registered

What to look for?

Originally posted by Rye
    One thing Honda needs to change...e-start.
    BajaDesigns has solved that one already, fore a mere 875$.

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

What to look for?

You sir deserve a golden star, the word 'bulletproof' comes to mind. There is a reason that Kawi hasn't done anything to them in the past ~13 years or so - no need to fix what isn't broked .

For about 2k you could definetely get a decently running klr. Parts .for it are cheap, it's easy to work on, and simply put - is one of the most "fun" rides you'll have on the street. I think it looks cool too, but I own a Ridgeline so don't listen to me.
    - ridgeline

Funny you mention a golden star for me cause I made up the picture below for when people could answer my rediculous questions about fixing my jeep cause there was always an 'extended' problem where the simple solution was never the right one and there was always something else....

Bras cause cancer.

What to look for?

BajaDesigns has solved that one already, fore a mere 875$.
    LOL. That's why I didn't post that...$875 is a royal reaming.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

What to look for?

I love my KLR. Just put the Stage 2 jet kit in it and it really wakes the bike up, even with a stock exhaust.

It will not "slow" you down on twisties, trust me. Do not by one if you are trying to slow down your corner speeds. They corner REALLY well, even on DOT knobbies and will make a lot of sportbikes nervous on anything but sweepers.

I may be in the market to get rid of mine in the not too distant future. It's come time to buy a house soon and I'll need some $$$ for that.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

What to look for?

KLR has a huge gas tank and long range

another option is the F650GS

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON