Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

Same scenario in Fall River where I did mine, EEA and DOR were right across the hall. I understand that's true at the Boston office as well.

It is absolutely absurd what it takes to get your reg done as a non-resident. There aren't even instructions for it on the EEA website for OHV registration, I've spent more than an hour making phone calls and sending emails to figure out what they should do. You would think it would benefit the state to make that process as simple as possible.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Thank you for doing that legwork and research.
    I agree with most of your conclusions.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Maine is even a step ahead of NH in the ATV registration department, simply go online, put your information in, print out your receipt, and go ride. Your stickers will be mailed to you, and possession of your receipt is all you need to ride until the stickers show up

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

The only piece we're missing as of now is to determine if my assumption about the sales tax exemption is correct. It stands to reason that a bike purchased in another state wouldn't be subject to state sales tax is Massachusetts, but this wouldn't be the first time the Commonwealth surprised me. There is also some verbiage about "sales/use" tax directly at the top of form ST-6E.

Massachusetts Department of Revenue
    Form ST-6E
    Claim for Exemption from Sales or Use Tax
    on Boat, Recreation or Snow Vehicle

I suppose they could have a tax to use the state land in MA, although I can't find anything about what that rate might be or whether it's a flat tax. Anyway, I just can't wrap my head around why they would want the process to be anything but as easy as possible. A low barrier to entry and you get more revenue with less overhead. I tried paying my sales tax ahead of time via the DOR's online system and that piece of crap was so bad I ended up just saying "fuck it" and going to do it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I just can't wrap my head around why they would want the process to be anything but as easy as possible.
    Probably because the law makers don't actually want anyone to come and ride their dangerous OHRVs in MA....

I would compare it to when some guy puts a moto up for sale because his wife told him too, but he puts a huge dollar number so no one actually buys it.

The only piece we're missing as of now is to determine if my assumption about the sales tax exemption is correct. It stands to reason that a bike purchased in another state wouldn't be subject to state sales tax is Massachusetts, but this wouldn't be the first time the Commonwealth surprised me. There is also some verbiage about "sales/use" tax directly at the top of form ST-6E.

Massachusetts Department of Revenue
    Form ST-6E
    Claim for Exemption from Sales or Use Tax
    on Boat, Recreation or Snow Vehicle

I suppose they could have a tax to use the state land in MA, although I can't find anything about what that rate might be or whether it's a flat tax. Anyway, I just can't wrap my head around why they would want the process to be anything but as easy as possible. A low barrier to entry and you get more revenue with less overhead. I tried paying my sales tax ahead of time via the DOR's online system and that piece of crap was so bad I ended up just saying "fuck it" and going to do it in person.
    just spoke to a helpful human at the MA DOR about out of staters registering an OHV in MA and the tax requirements...

- if you have already paid tax in your state, e.g. new bike sale from CT dealer, you fill out ST-6E and show proof of tax paid in your state. no additional tax on top of what you already paid.

- if you have not paid tax on the bike, e.g. used bike sale from another CT resident, MA will require you to fill out Form ST-6 and pay 6.25% tax on the bill of sale purchase price OR lowest NADA figure for the bike.

she said boats and snowmobiles work the same way.

i have a note out to 508Intl to see how they handle out of staters for their events. i read they had a reg station set up, would like to learn more about that.

- - - Updated - - -

also just ran into this:

OHV Registration Exemption for Sanctioned Events

The Massachusetts Environmental Police are working on the development of a regulatory change for a registration exemption process as it would pertain to non-residents participating in sanctioned and municipally approved Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) events.

Until the regulations are developed and approved, registration exemptions for Off Highway vehicle registration for non-residents participating or practicing for Off Highway vehicle events in Massachusetts, will not be granted.

Residents practicing for or participating in OHV events are required to meet registration and safety education requires as provided under MGL CH90B sections 21 and 22.

The Massachusetts Environmental Police has been and will continue to work with OHV facilities and event organizers to increase registration opportunities.

Last edited by typeone; 05-09-17 at 02:19 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    just spoke to a helpful human at the MA DOR about out of staters registering an OHV in MA and the tax requirements...

- if you have already paid tax in your state, e.g. new bike sale from CT dealer, you fill out ST-6E and show proof of tax paid in your state. no additional tax on top of what you already paid.
    What about NH? Is there a form or something for "Not Applicable"? I guess you would still fill out an ST-6E and get the stamp....

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    What about NH? Is there a form or something for "Not Applicable"? I guess you would still fill out an ST-6E and get the stamp....
    she got into NH a bit but was talking fast, i'm going to call again and use NH as the next example. will post.

Beta 200RR

well, talked to a different guy... he said same thing as the first woman as far as "if you've paid tax in your state, you get the exemption". but he added that if you REGISTERED the bike, e.g. dual sport/plated, you're also exempt. this is important because apparently a bike that was bought in NH, no tax paid, but was registered, you get the same exemption and just pay for the sticker.

Beta 200RR

Interesting. I always thought they wouldn't even take a Mass reg as proof of tax paid.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

well, talked to a different guy... he said same thing as the first woman as far as "if you've paid tax in your state, you get the exemption". but he added that if you REGISTERED the bike, e.g. dual sport/plated, you're also exempt. this is important because apparently a bike that was bought in NH, no tax paid, but was registered, you get the same exemption and just pay for the sticker.
    I'm genuinely impressed that you were able to talk to a human at the DOR. Twice. I've called numerous times in the last several days and get a voice message that says "We're busy, call back later." Couldn't even leave a message.

The NH situation is an interesting one nonetheless. The ST-6E needs to be submitted to the DOR and approved before a rider can register. To me the biggest hangup on this is Massachusetts apparently thinks they have the authority to collect state sales tax on sale that occurred out of state...if no proof of tax paid can be presented. Basically it means that only plated dirt bikes from NH are tax exempt in MA. The DOR should have absolutely nothing to do with out of staters. One should be able to show up at the EEA office with their VIN, proof of residency out of state, and a check for $33.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Interesting. I always thought they wouldn't even take a Mass reg as proof of tax paid.
    That's an update, from the EEA site on first time registration:
    If your motorcycle, car or truck is registered or previously registered with the Massachusetts DOT, and you are dual registering your vehicle for off-road use with our agency, you will only be required to submit a copy of your Massachusetts DOT certificate of registration or title as proof of sales tax paid. Our agency will no longer require an ST-6E (sales tax exemption form) for this type of registration.

I'm genuinely impressed that you were able to talk to a human at the DOR. Twice. I've called numerous times in the last several days and get a voice message that says "We're busy, call back later." Couldn't even leave a message.
    i was shocked as well. made three calls and got through right away on two.

The NH situation is an interesting one nonetheless. The ST-6E needs to be submitted to the DOR and approved before a rider can register. To me the biggest hangup on this is Massachusetts apparently thinks they have the authority to collect state sales tax on sale that occurred out of state...if no proof of tax paid can be presented. Basically it means that only plated dirt bikes from NH are tax exempt in MA. The DOR should have absolutely nothing to do with out of staters. One should be able to show up at the EEA office with their VIN, proof of residency out of state, and a check for $33.
    yup, hence the term 'USE' tax. so bogus.

---

heard back from 508Intl, they're getting these questions so much that they made a full page and video with info. think it was just posted last week.

i'm still talking with them about the mobile reg vans at events. will follow up on that when i hear.

FAQs with the Environmental Police | 508 International

Beta 200RR

Interesting! I plan to register the XTrainer in Maine, so I'd be covered on the tax exemption. Now all Ma has to do is have an easy online registration, and I may just swing for a sticker to ride HVD

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Interesting! I plan to register the XTrainer in Maine, so I'd be covered on the tax exemption. Now all Ma has to do is have an easy online registration, and I may just swing for a sticker to ride HVD
    but didn't you already pay MA tax when you bought it from Dave?

Beta 200RR

but didn't you already pay MA tax when you bought it from Dave?
    I live in RI, he can't charge me tax

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I live in RI, he can't charge me tax
    doh ! ignore the idiot

heard from 508Intl again... they're double-checking with their contact on the tax situations for surrounding states. on the reg van, they just said that it did make things easier but no detail beyond that.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I registered my KTM last year with them and it was easy. Showed that I had registered it with the RMV, got my waiver stamped, got my OHV sticker without paying the tax twice.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Not sure if this was posted or not. Appears that you can register and pay tax online.

Access Denied

I was told that if you live in NH you are exempt from MA tax.

Too many toys, not enough time.

Lifer

This actually helps me as my machine is plated and registered with NH as a dual-sport. So I guess I could submit a copy of my NH reg and be done.

I wonder if they would accept a NH OHV registration as "proof" of tax paid / "exemption". I have this as well. Many with non-street reg'ed woods bikes have this as well.

The NH OHV process is so easy that I always assumed that it was almost meaningless, except as a means to collect the use-tax. But some of Oxx's recent comments lead me to believe that it carries some actual weight and may serve as a means to verify VIN when applying for a title!

Really it's the use fee for using your own property thing that really grinds my gears. That getting a MA OHV reg is so complicated (relative to neighboring states) does not sweeten the deal for me.

The waiver for organized events would be huge. That needs to get implemented!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    I was told that if you live in NH you are exempt from MA tax.
    The problem is all the forms for exemptions are written in a manner that assumes you have paid sales tax in your jurisdiction. They need a line on the forms that says "I live in NH, purchased my bike in NH, garage my bike in NH, and want to be legal for the occasional times I ride in MA. Exempt me."

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

My parents are moving to NH in a few weeks (1.4 miles from my house). Perhaps my Dad will be the proud new owner of a few of my ORV's. Then I can get a real MA sticker for them without having to jump through all these idiotic hoops.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Levers would fix that for you.

Lol, when my dad saw the Rekluse in action when he came for the ride to pick the thing up, he was silent, but his eyes screamed WITCHCRAFT!

He's an experienced dirt guy, or at least used to be. Ripped a Yankee 500 for years, both street and dirt. Now that was a cool bike.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Let me know if your folks wanna be proud owners of a Beta XT too....

I really need to get on purchasing a sweet cabin up in NH....

CCS/LRRS #83

So I filled out the online question submission form on the EEA website and asked the following question:
    Thank you for taking a look at my question. I am a NH resident looking to get an off road registration for my dirt bike in MA for occasional riding. The bike was purchased in NH, is garaged in NH, and I am not moving to or storing it in MA. The sales tax exemption form is worded in a manner that suggests if I have paid out of state sales tax, I would be exempt. Being from NH without any sales tax, there is no clear explanation on what forms I need to fill out since I have no evidence of tax being paid. Can you advise me on the proper procedure is to handle my situation?
    Their response:
    In response to Sales Tax, you’ll need to contact Department of Revenue at 800-392-6089.
    Thanks for the help!

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast