Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 126 to 138 of 138

MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

  1. #126
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,953

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition


    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    So I filled out the online question submission form on the EEA website and asked the following question:

    Their response:

    Thanks for the help!
    yup, gotta ring DOR. try the Fall River office (508-678-2844 x37230) or Springfield (don't have handy).

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  2. #127
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,401

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    yup, gotta ring DOR. try the Fall River office (508-678-2844 x37230) or Springfield (don't have handy).
    Considering the tax status of the vehicle you're trying to register directly affects your ability to do so, I would think that the people who do the registrations would at least have a passing familiarity with the ins and outs of getting everything squared away. Perhaps I expect too much.

    I don't have time to sit on the phone at the moment so I asked the same exact question through the email system at the DOR. We'll see what they say.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  3. #128
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,287

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    Someone wrote this blog and it's a pretty thorough read. Massachusetts OHV Registration

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  4. #129
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    41
    Posts
    14,009

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    my sticker, license, vin, and reg was checked by a greenie at the KP enduro.
    the guy was friendly and was trying to move as quickly as possible to get everyone through.

    the law and this situation sucks. being a dick and not complying isn't going to help anyones immediate cause, fyi.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  5. #130
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,953

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    I would think that the people who do the registrations would at least have a passing familiarity with the ins and outs of getting everything squared away.
    this is USA. i expect to get paid to show up, not actually do a 'job'... jeesh!

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Someone wrote this blog and it's a pretty thorough read. Massachusetts OHV Registration
    nice find. EPO was enforcing VIN/reg checks at HVD last Sunday. officer was super nice, but we almost had a runner

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  6. #131
    Get Weird! maxim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fairhaven, Ma
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,009

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    This law seems so authoritarian and strict that it makes me sad and disappointed. It's no secret about my contempt for police or authority in general. This is just another way for a cop to be checking our papers and asking questions. Does any other state have a law like this? What about supermoto on a paved track? Does that count as an OHV? What about any other track bike? What about when the nationals go to southwick and people from all over the country come to race ignorant of the tax man writing fines?

    I understand that it's law, and has been. My ignorance of the specifics, until recently, is no excuse for not knowing it. Regardless the law is shitty overall, and overreaching.


    Edit: the law specifies designed for or modified to ride on unimproved terrain. So I guess regular track bikes are OK for now.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by maxim_X; 06-08-17 at 06:42 PM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

    JCBernier -- You-tube

  7. #132

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Someone wrote this blog and it's a pretty thorough read. Massachusetts OHV Registration
    So basically​ all I read from here is you can color photo copy the stickers....home made reg

    @maxim - it's worse in CA - pay sales tax and Bi-annual registration. If you don't reg within 10 days of transfer of ownership $500 in fees! Sucks to buy a $700 dirt bike with $500 in fees. Only good part is racers/track/mx only they don't require it...just out in state recreation areas.open desert, can't be enforced so it doesn't matter...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

  8. #133
    #494
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rochester MA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    717

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    I guess it's kind of inconvenient for out of state racers, but $22 per year to ride? A good case of beer costs more than that. I'll find something else to stress me out.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #134
    Get Weird! maxim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fairhaven, Ma
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,009

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    I've got the sticker, and don't mind paying for trail use. It's the thought of a cop coming on to private property to check papers that bothers me.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

    JCBernier -- You-tube

  10. #135
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    This law seems so authoritarian and strict that it makes me sad and disappointed. It's no secret about my contempt for police or authority in general. This is just another way for a cop to be checking our papers and asking questions. Does any other state have a law like this? What about supermoto on a paved track? Does that count as an OHV? What about any other track bike? What about when the nationals go to southwick and people from all over the country come to race ignorant of the tax man writing fines?

    I understand that it's law, and has been. My ignorance of the specifics, until recently, is no excuse for not knowing it. Regardless the law is shitty overall, and overreaching.


    Edit: the law specifies designed for or modified to ride on unimproved terrain. So I guess regular track bikes are OK for now.
    The law provides exemption for organized events, which I thought some groups had already been obtaining. But the blog post linked above says "There was supposed to be an exemption at races for out-of-state riders but the EPs are reneging on a technicality.". Not sure what the technicality could be since, the law says "(..) the director may exempt a participant of a sanctioned race, rally or event who is not a resident of the commonwealth from the requirements of this section. (..)"

    I agree with your frustration about paperwork checks at private riding spots. How do you figure it should work at a state riding spot? Not require registration and fund the land through state income or sales taxes?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  11. #136
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    41
    Posts
    14,009

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    The law provides exemption for organized events, which I thought some groups had already been obtaining. But the blog post linked above says "There was supposed to be an exemption at races for out-of-state riders but the EPs are reneging on a technicality.". Not sure what the technicality could be since, the law says "(..) the director may exempt a participant of a sanctioned race, rally or event who is not a resident of the commonwealth from the requirements of this section. (..)"

    I agree with your frustration about paperwork checks at private riding spots. How do you figure it should work at a state riding spot? Not require registration and fund the land through state income or sales taxes?
    I don't know what the technicality is, but based solely upon your quote, "may" is not the same as "shall".
    I've spoken with the trail boss of the Freetown enduro. we had areas in play that are not normally legally able to be ridden, and he said the forest director has been a pleasure to work with in regards to setting the race up.
    The greenie I dealt with (twice now) is just a guy working a detail on a Sunday. this poor prick is just. guy like you and me (all) doing his job. be nice, and expect to get on with your day.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  12. #137

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I've got the sticker, and don't mind paying for trail use. It's the thought of a cop coming on to private property to check papers that bothers me.
    Funny part is the article said the kid dying on a quad on private land is the leverage the state needed to have EP the ability to ticket you on your own land.

    Yeah... registration is gonna a keep kids from getting hurt on Oh V's on private land

    Wonder if they are checking reg on SX too??

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

  13. #138
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,953

    Re: MA OHV Laws - 2017 Edition

    ...

    Important Meeting Open to All Riders
    Tuesday, July 11th. 6:00pm
    Sturbridge Host Hotel, Sturbridge, MA.

    Now is the time for all off-road enthusiasts to come together and make a political push to change MA legislation that negatively impacts our sport.

    So what can you do? I'd like to thank Steve Salisbury of the AMA for stepping up to serve as an organizer of our opposition to this law and our need to have it amended. All rider groups are affected: NETRA, JDay, MX, hill climb, trials, etc. and if we are going to be successful in our quest, we need to be unified much more than we have so far. Steve and the AMA are interested in helping and in my opinion are the right ones for the task. I invite any/all riders who want to participate in an important meeting to be at the Sturbridge Host Hotel at 6:00 PM on July 11th. Those of you who are MA members of AMA have already received and email about this. We need as many voices in this fight as possible.

    IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU Send your RSVP to: grassroots@amacycle.org


    Thanks,
    Tony Gasper

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •