Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

mass forests

mass forests

In an email I got back asking the question about this weekend

good news / bad news

Berkshire Off Highway Vehicle Trail Opening Postponed For Ice Storm Damage Clean-up

Many DCR parks suffered extensive tree damage from the December 12, 2008 ice storm that struck central and western Massachusetts. The melting snows this spring have revealed numerous blocked trails, hanging limbs and other dangerous conditions and DCR staff, volunteers and contractors are working to clear storm debris from day use areas, campgrounds and miles of trails. While that work is in progress, DCR has decided to delay the traditional May 1 opening of the off highway vehicle riding season (including the use of ORVs, ATVs and off-road motorcycles) on trails in Beartown State Forest, October Mountain State Forest, Pittsfield State Forest and Tolland State Forest. DCR appreciates the assistance of volunteers from the Appalachain Mountain Club, Appalachian Trail Committee, Berkshire Trails Council, New England Mountain Bike Association, New England Trail Riders Association, the Snowmobile Association of Massachusetts and others who have devoted so much time and energy to date to restore the trail system for the enjoyment of all users. The agency is hopeful that trails may be safely re-opened in late May. Please continue to check this web site for future updates.

Off Highway Motorcycle trails at Freetown State Forest and Wrentham, Franklin and F.Gilbert Hills State Forests will open according to the traditional schedule.

Wrentham, Franklin and F. Gilbert Hills State Forests Friday, May 1, 2009 (Off Highway Motorcycles Only)

Freetown State Forest. Monday, May 4, 2009 (Freetown State Forest hosts a Native American New Year's celebration the first weekend in May each year)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Re: mass forests

thanks for the post... ive been wondering if we would be able to use the woods at all for a while due to the ice storm damage. looking anywhere in the woods around here its just NUTS.

(not to mention 7 grand+ worth of cleanup in my yard alone. really looking forward to the cost of replacement. ugh.)

Beta 200RR

I attended the last meeting of the DCR and Berkshire Trail Council out in Western MA on April 8. I am secretary of the BTC. It was made very clear that the DCR does not plan to open any of the trails in any of the State Forests until all the trails are cleared in all the State Forests. The main ones at least. Some forests sustained more damage then others but the DCR does not want to overrun the few that are cleared with too many ATV's as this will cause a lot of trail damage to the few trails available.

The best guess is that they may open on June 1 but that depends on how much help the clubs and DCR get. October Mountain and Pittsfield got hit pretty hard out here. DCR crews and some snowmobile clubs cleared up a lot but once the snow melted there was a lot more. There are a few bridges out as well. According to DCR, you can't get far down any trail without running into a roadblock.

If you want to help out, get with a club, sign a waiver and go out and help cut some trees and clear some trails. There is a work party on May 17 at October Mtn through the NEATV club. I can get you details if you'd like to help out.

Paige

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I attended the last meeting of the DCR and Berkshire Trail Council out in Western MA on April 8. I am secretary of the BTC. It was made very clear that the DCR does not plan to open any of the trails in any of the State Forests until all the trails are cleared in all the State Forests. The main ones at least. Some forests sustained more damage then others but the DCR does not want to overrun the few that are cleared with too many ATV's as this will cause a lot of trail damage to the few trails available.

The best guess is that they may open on June 1 but that depends on how much help the clubs and DCR get. October Mountain and Pittsfield got hit pretty hard out here. DCR crews and some snowmobile clubs cleared up a lot but once the snow melted there was a lot more. There are a few bridges out as well. According to DCR, you can't get far down any trail without running into a roadblock.

If you want to help out, get with a club, sign a waiver and go out and help cut some trees and clear some trails. There is a work party on May 17 at October Mtn through the NEATV club. I can get you details if you'd like to help out.
    Paige

the text in my original post was cut and pasted from an email that I sent yesterday to the contact email on the DCR website, asking them if there was going to be a delay in opening. in their response to me as listed above is that the only delay will be in the western mass forests. I don't know if something has changed between early april and now, or if someone is misinformed at the dcr , but the message I got from them was its a go for this weekend on the eastern side of the state. They do reccomend calling ahead at the specific forest you plan to ride in before you go to be sure .

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Sean,

The Berkshire Trail Council represents clubs in the Western end of the State and maintains the Forests in the Western end of the state, specifically Beartown, Tolland, October Mountain and Pittsfield State Forest.

I know nothing in regard to specifics out on the Eastern end and would certainly defer to your greater wisdom in that regard. Actually I am quoting the DCR and am surprised they are making exceptions for the Eastern Forests when there are a few in Western Mass that are pretty clear. YOu can be sure that I will be checking on that!

Paige

Last edited by PB; 05-01-09 at 08:17 AM.