Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Mass. Riders be careful in state forests

Mass. Riders be careful in state forests

Authorities warn of wire cables being strung across state forest trails in Wrentham, Foxboro

FOXBORO — Someone is stringing wire cables across trails in state forests, including in Wrentham, Foxboro and Franklin.

The state Department of Conservation and Recreation and Massachusetts Environmental Police are warning riders and hikers the intention appears to be to cause harm. No one has been seriously hurt yet, officials say.

Department of Conservation and Recreation and the Massachusetts Environmental Police issued a warning riders and other trail users of wire cables being tied across trails with the intent to cause serious harm, DCR spokesman Troy Wall said.

Police are asking for anyone coming across these wires to report them.

Environmental police have posted warning signs along the trails and authorities are also getting the word out on social media.

Wire cables have been reported in the Gilbert Hills State Forest in Foxboro, the Franklin State Forest, the Wrentham State Forest and the Freetown State Forest.

Anyone who sees something suspicious is asked to call environmental police at 1-800-632-8075, or the DCR Park Watch Hotline at 1-866-759-2824.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

Re: Mass. Riders be careful in state forests

Saw this on the news this morning, some people fully deserve to be lynched. That should be an attempted murder charge at the very least for whoever the asshole(s) that are doing this. Honestly how the fuck can someone justify that in there head. Probably the same assholes that run motorcycles over for passing on a double yellow or open there door when someone's lane splitting. I hope they catch them especially before someone gets hurt or worse.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

When I was like 14 I was doing laps on my minibike at a local spot and someone obstructed the trail by moving a log across it right around a blind corner while I was there riding! I had a huge crash. Luckily I was OK, but it scared me that someone would do that. Wire is much, much worse. Sucks that someone who think to do it, and then ACT on that thought.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Even if they did catch them, they would get a slap on the wrist. No wonder people continue to do this shit.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Even if they did catch them, they would get a slap on the wrist. No wonder people continue to do this shit.
    Some years ago in California couple hippies got caught doing similar traps and were convicted of attempted murder.

few links below

Wire Cables Tied Across Trails Found at Several State Parks in Massachusetts | NECN

WPRI 12 - More on those dangerous trip wires being placed... | Facebook

rides bikes

My buddy has an ear-to-ear scar under his chin from this from when he was like 12

I assume it is being done at night, do they have infrared game cameras with no flash?

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I assume it is being done at night, do they have infrared game cameras with no flash?
    Yes, but it'd be pretty needle-in-haystack odds to get a decent face shot. Ideally, a few cameras to cover the parking areas then a few at the trail entries.

Everyone who can should be sure to ride the next few weekends. Everyone takes a lesser chance of getting hurt (divided among more riders), and rotate leaders. I wonder if these clowns had considered this might affect a less observant hiker, horse rider, or cyclist? Hiker probably won't get hurt, but remote chance they could fall and bump their head or neck.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    My buddy has an ear-to-ear scar under his chin from this from when he was like 12
    It's amazing that this has been a thing for such a long time.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I have a game camera with infrared flash, while there is no flash per say, there are still a series if red lights that come on and will catch someone's eye. Plus, the distance to catch an image isn't far

Yamaha

What makes y'all think this stuff is being done at night? More inconspicuous to put a roll of wire in a day pack during the day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is happening out here now too, wires found across trails. (powerline and side trails used for years by many)

got a text from a local kid we met out there a few weeks back, him and his friends are probably about 12 years old. takes a sick fucking asshole to want to slit a kids throat for riding a dirt bike after school. they cut the wire once, someone cut it again. i'm pretty nervous to ride out there now.

Beta 200RR

Any luck in finding these $&$#%@s?

I've read a story awhile ago about the wire strung across a small street somewhere in the Midwest. It caused a very grave injury to a rider. They culprits were found and prosecuted.

This was happening on public roads like 1-2 years ago. Framingham, MA if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    this is happening out here now too, wires found across trails. (powerline and side trails used for years by many)

got a text from a local kid we met out there a few weeks back, him and his friends are probably about 12 years old. takes a sick fucking asshole to want to slit a kids throat for riding a dirt bike after school. they cut the wire once, someone cut it again. i'm pretty nervous to ride out there now.
    South-central MA? If so, it's kind of drawing a circle around where to look for more wires and the offender.

nedirtriders.com

north-central. i have a feeling it's a neighbor that read about the state forest wires and replicated. we only know of one person who has complained (about everything, really, not just bikes) in the past year or so. if it's the person i'm thinking it is, they wouldn't travel all the way to Franklin/Wrentham to do the same.

Beta 200RR