Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Metal... in oil

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Metal... in oil

So the Xr250r showed some metal particles, by some I mean the oil was glistening a ton
    Last year bought it used. Rode it 2x, no oil change, no time.

This year changed the oil prior to my PA trip and found metal particles, like a lot

Changed oil out and though lets see. Did the 2 days riding and just changed the oil again today.

More metal flakes see photo
    Seem more brass than silver flakes( no idea what that means if anything).
    There is a tapping noise at idle (havent checked valves , probably this week)

It also is a bitch to find neutral vs when I just bought it ( clutch plate issue?)

Any ideas?

My options are( input would be appreciated as to maximize ride time and ease of fixabilty. I'm not one to spend a ton of free time tinkering.

This is just a beater bike to me but it'd be nice to keep forever, I do like it, be nice to keep as a 2nd dirtbike.

1- Buy a new bottom end on ebay for 500$ and swap it out soon, then work on bottom end this winter, keep as spare
    2- Look for a spare bike and have a whole bike of spares, swap out bottom end, then fix "broken" bottom end
    3- Do nothing at all, just adjust valve. then in winter take it apart

4- Tear it apart right now ( no idea on time) and fix as needed, would be my first tear down into an engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Metal... in oil-img_8598-1-jpg  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: Metal... in oil

Things I have been told and read are that brass shavings are typically associated with thrust washers and crank bearings. Throw a quick Google search at this and see what you come up with but I would guess big/small end rod bearing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!