Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Midweek Dualsport Newbie ride in VT??

OK, that was one hell of a post title, sorry. Anyway, I'm new to the DS scene. Recently picked up an '04 DR650 and I just put some Pirelli MT21's on it. Now I want to get dirty, but I'm not an experienced dirt rider. I do know how to "read" terrain as I have been a mountain biker since the early 90's.

I have a buddy who rides DS, but he's usually busy when I have free time and vice versa. I live in South Burlington and would like to find some riding partners who wouldn't mind hangin' with a newb.

Thanks!

Bob

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God invented fast motorcycles, Bubba..." - Hunter S. Thompson

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by newbob View Post
    OK, that was one hell of a post title, sorry. Anyway, I'm new to the DS scene. Recently picked up an '04 DR650 and I just put some Pirelli MT21's on it. Now I want to get dirty, but I'm not an experienced dirt rider. I do know how to "read" terrain as I have been a mountain biker since the early 90's.

I have a buddy who rides DS, but he's usually busy when I have free time and vice versa. I live in South Burlington and would like to find some riding partners who wouldn't mind hangin' with a newb.

Thanks!

Bob
    Hey Bob - Hit me up this weekend or next. I put about 250 miles on my DRZ this weekend, entirely on dirt roads and easy trails. (Hell, I did it all with sportbike tires. )

I might be heading out again Sunday afternoon, if not my friend Jaret and I will be doing some riding the next weekend for sure.

Actually, if we get a nice day this week, I wouldn't be averse to showing you some of the better roads.

Sounds good!

BTW - actually, I have done a tiny bit of offroad riding. Couple of weeks ago I hit Snipe Island road when it was wicked wet and muddy. Had Avon Distanzas on the bike and they weren't exactly grippy. My bike has more character now as a result. I can't wait to hit it again with the good rubber!

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God invented fast motorcycles, Bubba..." - Hunter S. Thompson

I was all set to say, I'm in!!!

But then realized how far away Burlington is.

I went out for about an hour today on my KLR650. This bike never ceases to put a smile on my face.

I just need to find people near me with a DS bike. I know the time's going to come when I get stuck on some freakin' trail in the middle of nowhere.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    I just need to find people near me with a DS bike. I know the time's going to come when I get stuck on some freakin' trail in the middle of nowhere.

Hell man, just let me know. I know some places where I could watch you get stuck.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Yeah... I'd really prefer to not get stuck. What's your work schedule like, Chris?

I don't want to do crazy stuff... just some "exploring"

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

NewBob,
    Have you joined the Cycle Conservation Club of Vermont They are having a 100 mile plus Dual-Sport ride out of Johnson VT. The Long Trail Tavern on RT15 to be exact, 900AM.
    When you ride on Snipe Irerland Rd and the honorable Land Baron Mr. Preston Wright, either blocks the road or steps in front of you to question you tell him you are from the VT DOT investigating a violation of the roadway. You are looking into who has blocked the class 4 Rd.
    I ride there a couple of times a week and live on the Jericho side.

It gives me great pleasure after trying to be nice to the guy,who is pissed off because he owns 1200 acers and can't stop us from riding a mile ribbon through it.
    Give me a yell if you want to ride, I have a lot of trails aroud there.
    The CCC ride sounds like it would be perfect for you. It is cheap to join, $20.00 and for a good cause.
    OT

It pays to play.

Ride fast,
    You will get farther before it is over!

OT -

Thanks for the info, I will join this week for sure. Sounds like a great group. Re Snipe Island...I didn't know about the "access" issue. My buddy lives just a couple of minutes from there and rides it often. He never mentioned running into that guy, but I'll tell him to be on the lookout! I will definitely take you up on checking out some trails. In fact.......

If the weather is good, I might like to do a ride on Friday. I don't have to work until 4. Anybody in??

I will be riding Friday before a party that evening.
    OT

It pays to play.

Ride fast,

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by out thumped View Post
    NewBob,
    Have you joined the Cycle Conservation Club of Vermont They are having a 100 mile plus Dual-Sport ride out of Johnson VT. The Long Trail Tavern on RT15 to be exact, 900AM.
    When you ride on Snipe Irerland Rd and the honorable Land Baron Mr. Preston Wright, either blocks the road or steps in front of you to question you tell him you are from the VT DOT investigating a violation of the roadway. You are looking into who has blocked the class 4 Rd.
    I ride there a couple of times a week and live on the Jericho side.

It gives me great pleasure after trying to be nice to the guy,who is pissed off because he owns 1200 acers and can't stop us from riding a mile ribbon through it.
    Give me a yell if you want to ride, I have a lot of trails aroud there.
    The CCC ride sounds like it would be perfect for you. It is cheap to join, $20.00 and for a good cause.
    OT
    We ran into that asshat's place last weekend. He had a camera on his gate. We briefly considered going around the gate, then simply went around the other side of the road.

We actually spoke with a US Forest Service guy, he says that there is some new legislation that will be going into effect in 2008 with concern to "ancient roads", at which time that will all be clarified.

The Gazeteer is cool, there are quite a few Class IV roads I never even knew about.

What time on Friday will you be riding? If you're interested, I'll show you some of the trails and roads in my area.

Highsider,
    Where in VT are you riding?
    OT
    Im near the range.

It pays to play.

Ride fast,

Littering and........

I'm in Hinesburg, I usually ride over some Class IV roads in Starksboro and Huntington, and like to venture over into Middlebury and Ripton.

Although I just remembered that my wife's birthday is Saturday, and I'm supposed to hang out with her on Friday, so wont be doing any dirty riding then.

Have you ridden on the ATV trails on Texas hill Rd. I was looking at them on the web, have not made it out there yet.
    OT

It pays to play.

Ride fast,

Do you guys know about some trails just off of 89, exit 17? My boss said he always sees a bunch of m/c's and atv's rippin around.

Quote Originally Posted by out thumped View Post
    Have you ridden on the ATV trails on Texas hill Rd. I was looking at them on the web, have not made it out there yet.
    OT
    I haven't ridden the mc there, but I have ridden my mountain bike. The majority of the trails were built by a kick ass group of mtn bikers, Fellowship of The Wheel. No mc's or ATV's permitted. All trail work was done with permission and in cooperation with the town of Hinesburg. There are logging roads around the area, but they look pretty uninteresting to ride under moto power.

Littering and........

Had a great ride today!

Sorry we missed you, markbvt.

And Bob - sorry I was BSing with that dude in the black truck at the end, it was a pleasure riding with you.