Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

First MX Race, as an old guy... How do I get started?

First MX Race, as an old guy... How do I get started?

I'm getting the pins out of my thumb sept 9, so obviously I'm going to make the start of the fall series at Wareham

I know Road Racing, I know where to be, how the races are called, when to line up, how to get my license and my numbers and how to register, but I have no flipping clue what to expect from a MX race. So, anyone want to fill me in? What do I need to get started, when should I be there, what class am I in, how do I register and line up, what's the etiquette in the pits? (like, where do I park, do I put my bike in front or the side, etc.) what do I need to bring? Do people camp overnight? Do I need spare wheels with mounted tires, or can I spoon new tires on there, or do I need new tires mid-day,weekend, whatever?

I'm 33, have a lightly modified '10 CRF250R

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: First MX Race, as an old guy... How do I get started?

You could race c250 (lites) or cvet.
    I'd get there as early as possible, parking is pretty limited there.
    Chances are cvet (30+) will be a CH more laid back, but it's a mx race in wareham, there's a 100% chance that there will be some squiddery and heroes.

Signups will be a cluster, and you'll be scrambling.
    ^ speculation, but if I were a betting man...
    Anyways, you'll have to keep an eye on your watch/schedule (which will likely be on a piece of paper they give you as you pay for parking) and make sure to line up on time.
    Details aren't really out yet...but if I get a wild hair, I might go enter the headlight class.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

So basically it's just going to be the shitshow I expect it to be? How do I get numbers? What color will they be? Is there tech? Get there early like the night before like I do at LRRS?

Numbers will be black background with white numbers, I think it'll be pretty loose with tech and stuff, you might not even need numbers at all, since it's only a 3-5race thingy, and it's it's own thing.

I didn't mean early like the night before, but if you can practice on Friday, it'd probably be a hoot.

Edit: if you haven't given their fb page a like, or don't use it, they seem to be doing all their official business there.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 08-19-14 at 02:04 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

My one and only MX excursion was at Winchester Speed Park 5 years ago. I was 54 years old. I wish I was 33 again.

33 ain't old!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

It is for MX! The old guy group in MX starts at 30

can't believe i've been a 'senior' for almost a few years already. WTF.

give them a call to ask about numbers and details. you'll need black backgrounds so you could start there at least.

just arrive with a proper bike and gear then go with the flow, ask questions, but agree getting there early will help with nerves. i cant find any info on gate times, etc so i would try to talk to someone. or email.

you may or may not need AMA membership or local club membership. when i raced MSC / D34 i needed both. not sure about Wareham. you'll also prob have reg forms, waiver signing, etc. so time in the AM for that stuff if you can't complete ahead of time will be needed.

usually you get 1 practice session then race 2 motos, one earlier in the day, one later. points and placing are a combo of both motos.

dont sweat tires unless they're completely shagged but check pressures 12/11 is prob fine. a soft terrain tire will be better.

park and unload like you would practice riding, doesn't matter how you do it, just keep a neat pit. nothing special about it except you may or may not be able to ride your bike to/from the gate. most places you can't but some you can (during a race day).

normally you'll line up at the gate, sometimes second moto you will be called based on placing in moto 1, wait for the hot chick or drunk dude to roll out with the 30 sec board... they will point the riders down wanting you to nod 'yup, i'm ready to kick ass and die'... put the bike in 2nd gear, crack that throttle, hold steady, wait for the board to go sideways (10 sec to drop) then watch your gate or the gate next to you... once it drops, pin it! stare down the first corner, nothing else. banging bars, getting hit, roosted, etc is all part of MX.

the gate can be tricky, make sure your front wheel isn't too close. getting stuck in the gate fucking blows. easy to do when nervous. before the gate drops, sit way up on the tank too, it will help keep the front wheel down when you pop the clutch with high revs.

have a blast! ...and use tearoffs.

Beta 200RR

Awesome. Thanks Clinton

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I talked to the wareham people, bring whatever numbers you want (they said there are lots of "1" plates. Seriously. Wtf is wrong with people)
    They changed the track config, it looks fun. They got rid of my least favorite turn (down steep hill then sharp right back up) and put a long sweeper in the back by the trees