Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NETRA Ammonoosuc River Turkey Run anyone?

NETRA Ammonoosuc River Turkey Run anyone?

I'm hoping to do this with a friend of mine and didn't see a thread on it...anyone going? Anyone gone before? Never done any organized event so was looking for some feedback. XR400 and crf450x. Thanks!

Ammonoosuc River | New England Trail Rider Association

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: NETRA Ammonoosuc River Turkey Run anyone?

I did it my first time last year. Good chance I'll be back. If NETRA membership is required (pretty sure it is), you can try to sign up before the event. Which would be a good idea, since the process can be a little hectic first thing in the morning. Also try to get signed up/checked-in ASAP in the morning, as there can be a line at these events and you might discover you need something else or did something wrong etc.

I've never ridden either of those bikes, but I believe those will be great for this type of event. Leave the grounds after a few groups have already headed out and you shouldn't have much trouble following the freshly churned dirt. When in doubt, wait a minute and someone will go by, thus confirming you're heading in the right direction. If you hope to use that technique, make sure you leave yourself enough time by not leaving last in the morning. The routes are generally easy to follow with a few exceptions: The gas/lunch stop, if there's a hero section then the path forks (way around it), and a few the road transfer sections are long enough to start wondering 'shit, did I miss the arrow?'.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I did it my first time last year. Good chance I'll be back. If NETRA membership is required (pretty sure it is), you can try to sign up before the event. Which would be a good idea, since the process can be a little hectic first thing in the morning. Also try to get signed up/checked-in ASAP in the morning, as there can be a line at these events and you might discover you need something else or did something wrong etc.

I've never ridden either of those bikes, but I believe those will be great for this type of event. Leave the grounds after a few groups have already headed out and you shouldn't have much trouble following the freshly churned dirt. When in doubt, wait a minute and someone will go by, thus confirming you're heading in the right direction. If you hope to use that technique, make sure you leave yourself enough time by not leaving last in the morning. The routes are generally easy to follow with a few exceptions: The gas/lunch stop, if there's a hero section then the path forks (way around it), and a few the road transfer sections are long enough to start wondering 'shit, did I miss the arrow?'.
    Membership is required but says you can do a one or two-day pass. Ill look into doing it ahead of time though, thanks!
    Yeah I was hoping I could make my way by following, no GPS or roll chart. We're really winging it lol.

How strict are they on things they check? (do they check?) My bike is plated and registered, but its out of state. No blinkers, just head light and tail light. I could wire up a brake light if I need to. non-DOT tires, no high beam, etc. Will they care?
    And do they check your license? We have our Motorcycle licenses, but a third friend wants to join with just a permit. Its a 3 hour drive so would like to know beforehand, lol.

Lifer

If you're doing both days, I think the day membership for each day totals out to about the same as a year's membership. If one of you in the group has a route sheet holder that might make transition sections easier but it can be done without if you're smart about it.

Brush up on your hand signals, and you'll see everyone is real good at using those. I think a permit is sufficient. Not sure what state, but I believe a MA permit is basically a license anyway just without passenger or night riding. You'll all need license plates. I've seen a sound-check at NETRA events but I think they were at races. Either way, they don't like pissing off the voters. Events like these depend on being a neighborly bunch. I've seen a quick bike check done at events for the basics, and they expect your bike is in compliance with your state's requirements but that is up to you to ensure just like any other day. Some bar clamp mirrors and a bicycle horn might not hurt. IIRC, most states only requires a mirror on the left side of the vehicle so a pair of mirrors is good for two bikes. Been a while since I looked though.

It just occurred to me that I don't know if they officially require a helmet, considering NH doesn't require one. Something tells me they'll want nothing to do with you if you try to ride without one. I think there's a degree of 'police your own' they apply. Clueless newbies are fine, but I think clowns are going to get shown the door.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Puglia10 View Post
    Membership is required but says you can do a one or two-day pass. Ill look into doing it ahead of time though, thanks!
    Yeah I was hoping I could make my way by following, no GPS or roll chart. We're really winging it lol.

How strict are they on things they check? (do they check?) My bike is plated and registered, but its out of state. No blinkers, just head light and tail light. I could wire up a brake light if I need to. non-DOT tires, no high beam, etc. Will they care?
    And do they check your license? We have our Motorcycle licenses, but a third friend wants to join with just a permit. Its a 3 hour drive so would like to know beforehand, lol.
    I would wire in the brake light. I've ridden all manner of netra events with factory headlight, and tail/brake light.
    Some events are picky about the license/permit thing. Best thing is to find the event flyer on the netra site, and get in touch with the trailboss.
    MOST enduros and turkey runs CAN be navigated without a roll chart. Shit, I had Enduro wins with nothing at all, no roll chart, no watch.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

THANKS!

Lifer

Did you do it? I'm now reminded you said XR400, if you were the only one out there then I think we saw you a few times. You have a tool pack strapped to the fender?

Had a great time. Trails were good, arrows were easy to follow. I had a hell of a time on the muddy trails Sunday morning though.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Did you do it? I'm now reminded you said XR400, if you were the only one out there then I think we saw you a few times. You have a tool pack strapped to the fender?

Had a great time. Trails were good, arrows were easy to follow. I had a hell of a time on the muddy trails Sunday morning though.
    yeah! red xr400 with the fender bag....and annoying loud pipe :/ ....I was with a white xr250 and a red crf450x
    We had such a blast, I cant believe it took me so long to find/try this! Ill definitely be back.
    Sunday (all day, but morning especially!) was real tough for me. I definitely need tires. That mud was like ice! Also fell on a bees nest and took 4 stings to the back-that was fun, lol.

Maybe I saw you, what were you riding? (if you say KTM, it will be of no help, haha! what a sea of orange there!)

EDIT: was pleasantly surprised running no route sheet holder was never a problem. it was marked so well! are they always like that? we were wondering why people even bother with the sheet holders lol

Last edited by Puglia10; 09-12-16 at 02:13 PM.

Lifer

I will just say this - there are times when a RSH is really nice to have. Arrows can be confusing, and sometimes missing, and you can scroll ahead to see how far away gas is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifer

I realized mid-ride that I don't like how loud my pipe is. I just picked up a new-to-me bike and the previous owner removed an inner baffle. It'll be going back in soon. I think we were parked next to you on Sunday at the gas station/lunch stop at the grass strip between the gas and the pizza shop. At that point, I had my Yamaha WR250F, and was with a green KDX and a Husqvarna white/red 250 two stroke. Saturday we had two other Husqvarna's. No orange among us.

I too had tires that were done and couldn't handle the mud. It was good skills practice (deff. a weak spot for me), but it was really challenging. The front was in a perpetual slide. The bees nest is almost funny if it isn't you. Like being the only person getting rained on.

None of us had sheet holders on Sunday. The only tricky part is if you miss a turn, or an arrow fell down, or don't see one, you might not know until you're fairly lost. But I've done a few of these and they seem to be marked similarly well. I'll probably be at the Tri-State coming up next.

nedirtriders.com

Most events ARE well marked. However, you run the risk of some pissed off resident taking them down in the name of fuck y'all, or something like that.
    If you aren't too far in front there's usually a good stripe to follow, but the connector sections can really get you screwed up if you miss an arrow.
    Sounds like a good time. I was texting a buddy about keeping his eyes open for a 350 and he was up there too, winning that TR championship.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I could not believe the sound of the rain on the metal roof of the building they were using for registrations. I was going to pack it in and go home but the rain stopped a little after nine it turned out to be a great day! I saw an XR400 coming out of a single track before lunch on Sunday we were on Orange bikes along with a blue thingy fixing a flat. There were a few 400s at the Thrill and Chill a couple of weeks ago. They are a good bike not surprised to see so many still out there.

Bringing this one back to life...

Plan to ride at least sat, will play sun by ear. Think I'll be up there camping fri night. If anyone else will be there, maybe we can catch up over a beverage.

Will be riding my 200, and hanging with a guy on a 690.

Debating throwing on a half worn ibex to burn that up instead of using up my fresh mt16.

And anyone think I'll have any issues for fuel distance? I'll pack oil for gas stops, and a small rubber hose just in case.

So any one else going to this? Bought a ticket for the bbq sat night, too.

Still deciding on the rear tire, but think I'll throw on the older one to use that up.

Lifer

I'll be there both days as long as the weather stays clear. I'll be camping Friday night but probably rolling in there around 10 or 11pm. I'll be up for a little bit after that if you want to meet up though.

You must hate tire changes a lot less than I do. I'd rather put a little the mileage on a tire than change one.

Any idea on your gas mileage? The riders meeting will usually give ballparks on how far you'll need to go between gas options. I usually get better gas mileage than a typical day in the woods. Bring a gas can, as I'm pretty sure sunday is going to have a trailer brought to a mid-point with your gas can on it.

nedirtriders.com

I don't mind swapping tires too much. I've been doing all of my moto tires for the last 9 years or so, and have it down fairly good. I think I've convinced myself to just leave newish MT16 on there though. Especially with the wet weather this week, and possibility of running both days (sat/sun).

Not sure how late I'll be up Fri night, but I'll send you a message with my number if you want to catch up at some point.

No idea on gas mileage. I've got the stock 2.6 gal tank and most of the riding I've done since the fall is JDays and a hare scramble. Didn't think to track it for either of those. I know after the 2 hr HS, I still had a good amount in the tank, but don't remember for sure. It seems most people say 25 to 30mpg is reasonable, so I think it'll be fine. And yeah, I'll have a gas can with me.