Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Netra toys for tots, Freetown ma.

Netra toys for tots, Freetown ma.

This is NOT at the same spot it's been the past couple years, it's back at clarkies, where it was (luv you) long time ago.

http://forum.netra.org/download/file...=461&mode=view

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Re: Netra toys for tots, Freetown ma.

Chip do you know if I need AMA to do this or just NETRA membership? Couldn't find that on the website. I let everything expire this year, could be an expensive day for me and the kid if we need to buy 4 memberships.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I believe just netra. Day passes available.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'm out for this one.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Might check it out. Haven't ridden dirty in a couple months, it would be nice to close out the season with a good ride.

If I bring Jess' XR200, will I be riding alone? My bike's getting some love at Cliffie's.

Couldn't wait till Monday??
    My mill is coming out immediately after tft.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

I should have posted up earlier. I'm out. Boss in his infinite wisdom has decided to put me on a plane to go talk to customers. Trying to sell my company stock now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Couldn't wait till Monday??
    My mill is coming out immediately after tft.
    With the "Wee One" here, I thought I had a snowball's chance in hell of riding Sunday. She says go ride.

Come borrow the 200 if you want cousin....I'm out for this one.

Lifer

Anyone else go? I was there. Had a great time. I felt like it'd be a fairly difficult place for first timers, but if you're willing to deal with a lot of frustration, it's a great way to advance your skills quickly. The loop was very easy to follow. Not much for super challenging sections, but not many easy sections as breaks either.

nedirtriders.com

The Kermit and I were both there.
    You talking about the long loops, or the short course??

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

The full ~27mi loop. But even the shortest ~1mi loop brought you through some tricky roots, rocks, and that final rock garden with the bridge in the middle. Grass track on the field was a fine place for total newbies, but doesn't get much in terms of trail action.

Last edited by aldend123; 11-16-15 at 12:06 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

Lifer

I was there, with a young rider on a YZ125. The 11 mile loop almost killed him. We rode the shortest loop 4 or 5 times. Freetown definitely has some nasty rock gardens, and it is tough going for non-experts. I don't know why they laid out the course to be as tough as it was, though. IIRC - they do have a couple of miles of easier, more flowing trails that were part of the Cabin Fever(?) turkey run that they could have used. Maybe it was a permission thing...
    After this year, Freetown is certainly in my memory, and I am in no hurry to go back there. It is just not fun for me anymore, when it gets that tough. Maybe I am just getting too old...
    We asked if we could ride the grass track, to take a break from the rocks and let the kid get some fun in, and the guy at the entrance said that was fine. As we went just a few turns in, a lady on an ATV started yelling at us that we "did not belong on this track", so we rode gently, and exited as soon as we could. Later, I stopped to apologize to the guy at the entrance for starting any trouble, and the guy said that he had spoken with the lady, and that we were still welcome to ride the grass track! I felt that was really nice of him to do what he could to ensure that everybody got what they wanted. We rode the grass track one more time, looking out for the little tykes, of course, and we had a ball.
    Overall, the club did a really good thing, and the pile of toys they received for donation was huge. Even though I had my fill of rocks, I thought that the event was well organized and that the club did a really nice thing for the community.
    Greg

Greg, I almost posted my opinion a week or so back, which is very similar to yours. I didn't have much fun at the event, and I'm very familiar with riding the trails that we rode. I brought my 150sx, which is bone stock, with the plan of riding lots of grass track and a little mix/match of the trail sections. Doing the 26mile long loop is a pretty solitary experience, and it's something best done on a properly setup woods bike. my bike deflected off everything and beat me up the whole way. if I was a newbie or an occasional rider, I would have been in hell.

this event was always a complete blast at demo's farm. everybody who goes should have a good time, not just the hardcore enduro crowd. I hope Jay and Patty get honest feedback to base some changes upon, rather than people just F-smiling them and then skipping the event next year.

Lifer

Since my original comments probably echo what these guys are saying, I'll say I look forward to it again. But I wasn't jealous of anyone on an MX bike as I quietly putted by on my mattress with wheels. Speed up the compression and slow the rebound completely on them if you can.

I rode two of the longer NETRA turkey runs earlier this year and felt a tad bored in some of the dirt road or smooth double track sections, hoping for some more technical stuff. This was the opposite - I looked forward to a smooth section to rest my wrists. But typing this out, I'm starting to grin so... I hope they don't change a thing I don't know if I made this up in my head, but I started out the event thinking it was a more beginner friendly event? Either way, maybe promote it to best reflect the kind of riding expected? For reference, it's my first year so I'm still working on my perception of events.

nedirtriders.com

Greg, the state forest "kids loop" WAS part of the 26 mile loop. But, you had to ride the whole thing to get there.
    You can get there yourself by zipping down the road from where you parked, but a yz125 is going to scare some horses and aggravate the locals (and it's probably not plated, right?)

Freetown is one of those places that scares a lot of people. They come down expecting a nice casual trail ride and are met with lots of relentless rocks. It's like loudon, ride Freetown and you can ride anywhere.
    It's also one of those places where if your bike is set up right, the faster you go, the easier it is to ride.
    I'm out there a lot, not so much on the dirty, but I have lots of mtb miles in there this year. I've come to enjoy it. Wear riding there like a badge of honor almost.

Irs not for everyone and I get that, but until Myles standish opens again (coughnevercough) I don't really know where in New England you're going to find nice legal flowy trails that don't get beat to snot from being the only legal place to go.
    Demoranvilles is just as bad, and the only people that rode there was pstr and the spring challenge. Wrentham and foxy are torn to shreds too. It's the nature of not having anywhere to ride.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I wonder if the landfill in mattapoiset could be an option for toys in the future. I think that's an ideal spot. lots of wide open spaces to congregate, just like demo's. Swansea would be cool too.

I feel like Mattapoisett HS loop has more stoppers that Freetown, even if it is easier overall. Chip is right about Freetown, it's a place you learn to love. Personally I would like to open up more trail in Freetown. Some stuff that hasn't been ridden for 40 years would be nice. I would work to cut them over the summer if we had the permission.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

you East-Coasters ever ride Carver?

Beta 200RR

Yes. It's sort of my childhood stomping grounds.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Husky guy i know has been trying to lure me out there for years. their rides look epic. (yes, epic) miles and miles of delicious woodlands. an old high school friend from FLA lives out that way, i think he rides that area too. they talk about 40+ miles of single track with no repeat.

Beta 200RR

Husky guy = Bobnoxious??

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

nope, DaveG #54, joined Team Pumpkin year or two back but used to ride a carbon copy of my 165. cant remember who else he rides with out there.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I feel like Mattapoisett HS loop has more stoppers that Freetown, even if it is easier overall. Chip is right about Freetown, it's a place you learn to love. Personally I would like to open up more trail in Freetown. Some stuff that hasn't been ridden for 40 years would be nice. I would work to cut them over the summer if we had the permission.
    I already love to ride freetown. I'm specifically talking about a good venue for the toys ride, and keeping it a social event rather than just another day training for enduros.