Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Great news.

Great news.

Posted Aug. 12, 2015 at 8:47 PM

CHARLTON – After nearly eight months of public hearings and review, the Planning Board Wednesday approved the SunSet City plan to develop a motocross park on about 150 acres off Brookfield Road.
    SunSet City principals/property owners Russell G. Jennings, Brant Jennings and Brent Sellew plan to develop a 90-space campground and motocross track with parking lots on a 23-acre plot located between Brookfield Road and Route 49.
    “I am happy we are through this part of the process,” Russell Jennings said after hearing the vote. “It’s been a long road.”
    The motocross portion of the plan has met opposition from a group of about 250 Charlton and Sturbridge residents called RANT, Residents Against Noise and Traffic.
    The group has protested its possible impact on property values, neighborhood traffic and noise.
    Following the vote, RANT spokesperson Ronald Charette said the fight continues.
    “We have other areas to pursue and we are going to pursue them,” he said.
    Although RANT did not prevail in its campaign to sway the Planning Board vote, many concerns raised by the residents were seen in the 26 conditions the board attached to its approval.
    Planning Director Alan I. Gordon said some of the conditions are customary while others relate specifically to motorcycle racing.
    SunSet City must submit plans for installing a motorcycle noise test area near the park entrance and additional noise abatement structures near the track.
    The plans will be reviewed by the town’s peer engineer and must gain the board’s approval before issuance of a building permit.
    Before receiving a certificate to operate, SunSet City must conduct a mock motorcycle race for sound level testing to ensure the noise does not exceed limits set by the state Department of Environmental Protection.
    The race is to be attended by representatives of the Planning Board, Board of Health, DEP and the state environmental police.
    The motocross park must adhere to seasonal operations between April 1 and October 31.
    Racing events are to be held only on weekends between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., while the practice track may be operated on weekdays during the same hours.
    Conditions for traffic mitigation include temporary signs the day of motorcycle events and the addition of pavement markings at the intersection of Route 49 and Putnam Road.
    Mr. Charette said the work to eliminate motocross from the SunSet City plan will continue in court.
    “We’re still waiting for the judge to decide whether it’s an approved use in an agricultural area,” he said. “We’re expecting a decision any day now.”
    Mr. Charette petitioned the ZBA to overturn a ruling by the zoning enforcement officer that allowed motocross on the land.
    A vote of the ZBA in March rejected the petition and upheld the ruling.
    Mr. Charette filed a lawsuit in Worcester Superior Court against the town and SunSet City asking the court to, in part, nullify the ZBA vote and remand the matter back to the board to revote.
    A Superior Court judge heard both sides last week.
    Planning Board site plan approval is one of many needed for the project to proceed.
    The SunSet City plan goes before the Conservation Commission on Aug. 19.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Great news.

They forgot to mention fun, no fun allowed.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Those rant people are a bunch of whiny bitches, I work in charlton and almost all the people that have a rant sign on there yard are 3+ miles away from sunset city. How far do these people think noise is gonna travel and the way they talk about the major traffic it's gonna cause, they must think there's gonna be an ama pro race every weekend. I guarentee having a mx track will not affect there life in one bit, in fact there's already a private mx track the next street over from my work that's been around for a few years now and as far as I know there's been absolutely no complaints about it and also it's in a more residential area. It is cool seeing all the supporters of the track(sunset city sign with an old knobby tire hanging from it)

Well with this track going in and hodges being so close I'm gonna have to build another old cheap 2 smoke!!!!!!!!! It's been a few years since I've had a dirty bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

fingers still x'd this place gets built. great news indeed, but still some BS to go through.

Beta 200RR

not sure if you guys are still following this but opening day is April 22nd 2017

508 International

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

I really need to get my shit in order so I can take advantage of this place. Only 5 miles from my house.

Nice! Closer to my house than crow hill, hopefully the track is as good!

rides bikes

Subscribed.

All about this

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

rides bikes

Any idea how much of what they're claiming is actually coming to fruition? Their website makes it sound like they'll be offering EVERYTHING.

Best I could gather by going to their website was that they landed a helicopter on a 22 acre piece of land where there were a few pieces of heavy equipment and significant clearing's been done. Soil looks Rocky and clayish so that's not in their favor, but with enough fill, space, and equipment, anything's possible...especially when it's an mx track, so no paving is necessary!

I'm still optimistic, but if more work has been done they haven't gotten the info out there yet, at least not that I saw

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Best I could gather by going to their website was that they landed a helicopter on a 22 acre piece of land where there were a few pieces of heavy equipment and significant clearing's been done. Soil looks Rocky and clayish so that's not in their favor, but with enough fill, space, and equipment, anything's possible...especially when it's an mx track, so no paving is necessary!

I'm still optimistic, but if more work has been done they haven't gotten the info out there yet, at least not that I saw
    I'm optimistic as well. Honestly, it seems like the hardest part would be getting the town to green light the project, which they have. Now it's just all about money.

I've seen a few of these types of things come and go, and it seems like most are always works in progress, even when they've been around for years. In other words, if it is decent for opening, it might even get better, and if it sucks at opening, maybe they can make it good over time anyway

they have a sign up form to enter in 'demo races' for opening day so i assume some sort of track will be ready. fingers x'd they get the place in shape this season. finished, i doubt it, but functioning could be totally doable. shit, look at what John Day completes in a week or two. i would image with heavy machinery and mild temps, they could continue to get the rough layouts in place.

Beta 200RR

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I heard about this a while back, and could not be more psyched. Really hope it's done right!

CCS/LRRS #83

Less than 25 minutes if I take the back roads. Will they have trails I can take the war on, or is it all track / mx?

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    Less than 25 minutes if I take the back roads. Will they have trails I can take the war on, or is it all track / mx?
    supposed to have a trail loop, here is the list from the site for bikes...

MX / SX / FMX / ENDURO / SIDECARCROSS / TRIALS

Beta 200RR

You mean Trials? Or that enduro = trails?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

rides bikes

Looks like they have trials, but not trails.

Creating a simple "trials" course would only take them a few hours and not take up a ton of space. Usually they just dump some boulders, pallets and logs and people have fun on it.

no, i meant trails ... yes, the enduro part. i read somewhere that there would be a woods loop. which wouldn't be tough at all.

yes, the trials area is prob all the massive boulders they ripped out elsewhere i think they said the trials stuff would be one of the first courses you see driving in.

Beta 200RR

Beta 200RR

woah, uhhh.. .

OHV Registration

Participants are responsible for registering their OHVs with the state of MA before riding at the venue. Register at the MA Energy and Environmental Affairs website.
    that's an interesting requirement. how are you going to get loads of MX'ers there if you need MA OHV reg?? as a woods rider, i'm good to go but you don't see a ton of bikes at the tracks with MA boat stickers on them.

Last edited by typeone; 02-09-17 at 09:58 AM.
    Beta 200RR

Mass has that law where you need an orv sticker for any orv used on public or private land.

Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I recalling reading that was one of the reasons SX is not coming back to Ma

Yamaha

wow, i knew about the revised law but didn't think it pertained to a closed course like Crow Hill or this new track.

hmmmmm.

that's wack on Gilette SX. i never heard the final truth on that.

Beta 200RR

Beta 200RR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast