Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

North Shore, MA Dirt Riding Opportunities

North Shore, MA Dirt Riding Opportunities

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a TM Racing EN250 (street titled), got it registered, and I'm itching to hit some dirt trails or mx courses. I'm located in Beverly MA, and it seems like the closest places I can find to ride are 45+ minutes away, which is a problem because (a) I barely have time to ride as is, and (b) I don't own a trailer or a truck, so would have to rent from uhaul or ride long distances on the road on my two stroke enduro...

BUT I do know there are a lot of farms and things like that around Beverly/middleton/danvers etc, unfortunately I'm not from the area and know very few people here. So what I'm hoping is that there are a few places in the middle-north shore area (15-20 minute radius from danvers) that i couldn't find with a google search but that nontheless exist. For now I've been riding around some small, ungated gravel pit type areas near my office (cherry hill), and I've been thinking I could go places like the topsfield fairgrounds where there are dirt parking lots, but there must be other options?

What are some places to ride around here? Or should I just give up and buy a trailer/truck?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tucktuvak; 06-24-19 at 12:42 PM.
    YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2015 R1 - 2009 KX250f

Re: North Shore, MA Dirt Riding Opportunities

wow, nice score on the TM, rare breed in these parts although you do see them around ... Choice D: get a trailer/truck, you'll be much happier with that bike.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

A cheap trailer and a tow bar won't cost a whole lot. There's riding but I'm pretty sure it's all going to be invite-only or it's going to involve bending some rules. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will send you a PM.

Otherwise, there's a riding event happening nearly every weekend somewhere in New England that opens the door beyond the fixed locations that you'll see on google. NETRA for the enduro stuff, JDay leans more MX-style. But it's all going to be far enough away that you'll want to transport the bike. There's a turkey run (trail ride with road sections to link them) in RI this Sunday. Starts at a popular RI motorcycle shop (Twisted Throttle) if you're looking for additional reasons to make the drive.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 06-24-19 at 04:00 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

rides bikes

I'm in Salem. Just got rid of my dirt bikes for the lack of riding, but I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if some riding areas appeared.

There's some questionably-legal stuff in Georgetown/Rowley. I have a buddy that just moved to Byfield and I've tasked him with finding some trails too.

I mostly went to Hodges when I was riding a lot. Otherwise you're going to NH, which I am not very familiar with.

Stay in touch though!

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    I'm in Salem. Just got rid of my dirt bikes for the lack of riding, but I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if some riding areas appeared.

There's some questionably-legal stuff in Georgetown/Rowley. I have a buddy that just moved to Byfield and I've tasked him with finding some trails too.

I mostly went to Hodges when I was riding a lot. Otherwise you're going to NH, which I am not very familiar with.

Stay in touch though!

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, not exactly the news I was hoping for but I guess I'll have to deal with dirt biking being a weekend activity for now. I'll have access to another vehicle in August that could support a hitch carrier for my bike, so that should open up a few more possibilities without needing a trailer. For now if I want to ride in the evening I guess I'll stick to the gravel pit and work on fundamentals

Quote Originally Posted by tucktuvak View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice so far, not exactly the news I was hoping for but I guess I'll have to deal with dirt biking being a weekend activity for now. I'll have access to another vehicle in August that could support a hitch carrier for my bike, so that should open up a few more possibilities without needing a trailer. For now if I want to ride in the evening I guess I'll stick to the gravel pit and work on fundamentals
    If you're street titled, should be easy to ride to places.

Its been awhile...but I used to ride these daily as "safe spots" without any sort of street reg. If someone were to say something to you, having a street plate would be helpful. As always, ride at your own risk.

Google Maps

Go north into power lines. There are loads of trails between 62 and Forest/Marblehead Street. Don't cross Forest/Marblehead, those are unsafe areas.

Google Maps

Practice moto track. You will literally see people unloading bikes on the street view. Go North. This area has been known to get patrolled very very seldomly. Again, street plate helps.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post

Its been awhile...but I used to ride these daily as "safe spots" without any sort of street reg. If someone were to say something to you, having a street plate would be helpful. As always, ride at your own risk.

Google Maps

Go north into power lines. There are loads of trails between 62 and Forest/Marblehead Street. Don't cross Forest/Marblehead, those are unsafe areas.

Google Maps

Practice moto track. You will literally see people unloading bikes on the street view. Go North. This area has been known to get patrolled very very seldomly. Again, street plate helps.
    I might have to go explore these.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post

Google Maps

Google Maps

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much
    Going to have to go check these out this week or next! Maybe even tonight?

Anyone want to join?

Last edited by tucktuvak; 06-26-19 at 09:03 AM.

Although some of the trails are the best, I wouldn't navigate the Middleton Reservoir on your first time out. It is the most easily accessible by vehicle and I dunno what has changed. I had interactions back when I was 14/15 riding out there, but we were dumb kids just ripping laps, swimming in the reservoir, doing donuts on the banks, etc. A quick pass through was always fine.

There are MILES of bedded in single track by the Thompson Country Club. If that is your thing, go North on the power lines, head that direction, then go get lost. I'm don't think it needs to be said, but I'm going to say it anyway: don't go on the golf course.

Lastly, if you ride the power lines all the way North, there will be a larger trail going west into the woods. Go there. That is 100% safe and is not accessible by any type of automobile. I cut my teeth on these trails. I definitely miss them. Wide enough for 4 wheelers, way more fun on a dirt bike, some gnarly hill climbs and technical stuff too.

I've taken a few people on this forum out there, no complaints.

If you don't mind taking risks, I have other suggestions around Wilmington/Tewksbury. I was a really really dumb teenager.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 06-26-19 at 10:44 AM.

rides bikes

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much
    Going to have to go check these out this week or next! Maybe even tonight?

Anyone want to join?
    Let me know how it goes. I have a wildly inappropriate sport bike with knobbies on it that I'm not afraid to throw around on some fire roads and double track. If it's anything even remotely worth riding again, I'll go buy a dual sport and ride it with you every week.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    Let me know how it goes. I have a wildly inappropriate sport bike with knobbies on it that I'm not afraid to throw around on some fire roads and double track. If it's anything even remotely worth riding again, I'll go buy a dual sport and ride it with you every week.
    Will do. I just got around to inspecting the top end on my "great condition, needs nothing" 250 and it seems like it needs a new piston and rings, as there's visible blowby and some wear on the piston itself. I'm new to two strokes, but from what I understand I probably shouldn't be riding it much in this condition? How much more damage could a couple hours of riding do?

rides bikes

Will do. I just got around to inspecting the top end on my "great condition, needs nothing" 250 and it seems like it needs a new piston and rings, as there's visible blowby and some wear on the piston itself. I'm new to two strokes, but from what I understand I probably shouldn't be riding it much in this condition? How much more damage could a couple hours of riding do?
    I'm the wrong person to ask because I ride stuff 'til it doesn't ride anymore. If it's got compression and starts easily, run it!

Lifer

What kind of 250 smoker again?
    I did the top-end on my KTM 200 XC in a few hours. It was very easy, straight forward and painless.
    If I can do it, anyone can.

Read: Replace the top-end.. it's easy and probably worthwhile.

It's a TM Racing, should be the same basic procedure as anything else. I've done a split case rebuild on a DOHC v-twin before so I'm not too worried about the mechanical stuff. I've already ordered the new piston kit and all the gaskets, just wondering if it's still ok to ride it for a couple hours to go check out the trails

Lifer

If it starts, runs, pulls/idles normalish, and doesn't smoke excessively, I'd figure it's good for another couple hours. Especially if you're about to rebuild it anyway.

But I'm closer to the 'run till it doesn't camp'.

nedirtriders.com

The one danger with two strokes I'm aware of is cast piston skirts shattering when tired. Dunno what was put in for a piston, but be aware that worn cast pistons can grenade without warning sending large chunks into the cases and likely damaging the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The one danger with two strokes I'm aware of is cast piston skirts shattering when tired. Dunno what was put in for a piston, but be aware that worn cast pistons can grenade without warning sending large chunks into the cases and likely damaging the cylinder.
    As far as I know, ProX are the only ones who make pistons for TM bikes (other than oem), so it would have to be cast. I don't think it's oem, as the previous owner said it had been rebuilt. Sounds like a better-safe-than-sorry situation though so I may wait. Thanks for the advice!

I'll be sure to post about the trails once I can get on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    likely damaging the cylinder.
    And likely the cases too, should a nugget of debris get under the crank. I thought it was unusual, but that wrecked the whole engine on my KDX 200.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Met up with nick5446 and finally hit the powerline trails tonight. WOO WHAT A BLAST! Thanks again to JettaJayGLS for the tips, those trail are so fun and seem pretty well established. Definitely kinda scary considering it was my first time out but it's not too different from downhill biking. Nick was on a VF1000R with knobbies and I can't believe he got it through all the mud and rocks. I think he took a picture. I had a gopro setup but my mount was not in an ideal location so it's mostly a video of the back of my headlight.. whoops!

Only issue on the TM was my clutch was sticking so I kept stalling out in first gear (and my street gear got pretty dirty). Going to bleed it soon and hope that fixes it.

Last edited by tucktuvak; 07-23-19 at 07:56 PM.

Nick was on a VF1000R with knobbies .
    wtf. I want to see that.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ditto. I went on those trails years ago with Jay on a DRZ-400 with stock Trail Wings. Made it through everything, but this is another level.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

https://youtu.be/6lbu5NZens8
    The angle is really bad but you can see Nick/the trail occasionally!

rides bikes

Run what ya brung, right? Haven't had a dual sport in a few months, but I've made the old Interceptor work for fire and logging roads. This was probably the worst I've put it through. Only real issue was ground clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails North Shore, MA Dirt Riding Opportunities-image-ios-4-jpg  

Duncan's dual sport was fine for those trails. Not the best to take advantage of them all, but definitely got that job done. That VFR is ludicrous, and not in the spaceballs way.

Those trails are best suited to a dirt bike and you won't unlock their real potential with anything less. All that said, fun is fun and I'm glad you both had some.

I'm planning to hit these trails again tonight around 6pm if anyone's interested in joining.