So I want to get a TrailTech Vapor. The factory speedo took a tree truck hit and is junk. A factory mechanical speedo NOS is stupid expensive. The Vapor has all kinds of extras that are cool, including a temp sensor. The kit for my bike has a thermistor attached to a 10mm brass ring that they want you to install under the spark plug. I'm not crazy about that idea. I'd prefer to install it on the oiling system to monitor that instead. The question I have is this. If the engine oil comes up from the sump, through the pump and out to the cooler before returning to the engine, going through the filter and finally lubricating the engine, where should I get the temp reading from? One school of thought would be after the oil filter but before the engine so I can know when the engine oil is overheated, like in this pic:
http://trailtech.net/xr.html
The other idea would be the inlet of the oil cooler so that the sensor and wiring can be protected. The inlet to the cooler would show me the actual internal engine temp, but is that really as important to know as the temp of the oil going into the engine?
Please give me your opinions. Thanks.