Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pachaug Netra

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Pachaug Netra

any one doign this?? I might be interested only 90 min from home

Pachaug Rock Ride 2017, A NETRA Turkey Run May 20th | Adventure Rider

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Lifer

Re: Pachaug Netra

Maybe - If I can recover from my trip over the bars at last weekend's Hoot Owl event... Ouch.

I can't do it. But if you're over there, keep an eye on akarobs camp and rides. Those are always a blast and those characters know their way around pretty well. There will likely be a group for every skill level.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Crap, I would LOVE to do this. Just bought a XT and have never ridden off road. But, I will be in Mexico next week. Do other events like this happen often? My dirt skills are zero, be nice to go with some more experienced riders.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

I'm not going. It's a guarantee for sunny skies. Every time I have attended it starts out overcast and starts raining about the time I hit that rocky uphill section. Set your suspension for rocks and not fast JDay stuff and if you have any Vee Rubber tackee's you should pump em up to 15psi and run them or that oversized front everyone is raving about.

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    Crap, I would LOVE to do this. Just bought a XT and have never ridden off road. But, I will be in Mexico next week. Do other events like this happen often? My dirt skills are zero, be nice to go with some more experienced riders.
    A netra event is not where you want to pop your cherry on a lite dualsport.
    If you want to enjoy dirt riding, I suggest getting your feet wet first.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 05-10-17 at 06:59 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    A netra event is not where you want to pop your cherry on a lite dualsport.
    If you want to enjoy dirt riding, I suggest getting your feet wet first.
    What about the longer dual-sport oriented path this event is offering? Aren't those more newbie-friendly? Granted, a 100mi ride is not how I'd recommend anyone start out for their first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    There was a similar one last weekend. There's another in early June. And a few more late this summer. Get some seat time on your own first though. Learn the gear you want to wear, tire pressure you like etc. Under 100mi might seem easy from a street rider's POV, but it'll take many people most of the day to do that.
    Turkey Run/Dual Sport – New England Trail Rider Association

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    What about the longer dual-sport oriented path this event is offering? Aren't those more newbie-friendly? Granted, a 100mi ride is not how I'd recommend anyone start out for their first time.

There was a similar one last weekend. There's another in early June. And a few more late this summer. Get some seat time on your own first though. Learn the gear you want to wear, tire pressure you like etc. Under 100mi might seem easy from a street rider's POV, but it'll take many people most of the day to do that.
    Turkey Run/Dual Sport – New England Trail Rider Association

Yeah, the ds is more user friendly. Beware anything labeled hero section.
    The netra ds rides can be a lot of fun with the right group of similarly skilled homies. It's a lot of bang/buck.
    They can also be excruciating if you're brand new, out of shape, on the wrong bike, or with the wrong group, or have THAT guy in your group.
    Ymmv, of course.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

I am older, and I ride slowly, but I am fairly competent - I can get over, through, or around pretty much anything they throw at us. Last weekend, it was my brother's birthday - he had just turned 60, and this was his first ride since his (2nd set) of knee replacements. We pulled over many times to let faster guys by. He fell into the water (completely submerged). I flipped over the bars. It was awesome. We saw at least 4 bikes from the late '70's and early '80's completing the ride.
    I guess that I am saying that, if your mind is in the right place, you can do it - and it is likely that there will be someone there in a situation similar to yours - but the NETRA Turkey Runs are long and tough. I would not recommend a BIG bike, like an XT600. An older XT350, maybe. An XT250 or 225 certainly. E-start is your friend, and your bike will get HOT. Just know in advance that you will be the odd man out, bike-wise, and that most of the trail sections will be 1st or 2nd gear.
    If you really want someone to show you the ropes - I would do it - If I decide to attend.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by gregp; 05-10-17 at 01:54 PM.

Lifer

Ah - I see the OP has a DRZ400 - not an XT. There will be other DRZ's there, for sure, but they are heavy, and you will feel that weight by mid-ride (or earlier).