Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pittsfield State Forrest

Pittsfield State Forrest

A friend of mine and I went and rode Pittsfield State Forest last weekend. It is indeed less rocky that Beartown State Forest and a good deal less technical. That said, with all the leaves down covering up rocks and logs there was still a few spills. With 14 miles of trails laid out as a long run with a loop on each end you cannot call it vast, but it made for a good day of riding. It would be fine for an easy day or casual riding with friends. It's not super challenging, but it's good.

We broke to ride into Pittsfield for lunch. Afterwards, we tried to ride back into the forest along a dead end at Cascade Street. There was a trail called Smith Mountain Trail, which was marked but outside the boundaries of the forest itself. This was very technical with a very long climb and followed by an off-camber run of single track. It was too late in the day to ride much deeper than we did, but going in there you should be prepared. The deep cover of fresh oak leaves made things more difficult, but the area itself was challenging.

Afterwards, we found our way back onto marked trails within the forest. The northern Balance Rock loop, maybe a couple miles, is the easiest. It's less rocky there with many steeply banked berms. Not my kind of thing really, but for those that like it...

For what it's worth we ran into both a cop and a ranger, but neither took much notice of us. The ranger did mention he rides in there on a WR250 on his days off.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by taxonomy; 11-10-15 at 01:49 PM.
    Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."