Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Practice Track?

Practice Track?

Just wondering if anyone local to the Manchester NH area has a practice area/track they use. I'm new to the dirty bike game and went to MX101 two weeks ago on Saturday. I just bought the bike hadn’t ridden it yet, and it was the first time riding a MX bike since high school and yes that was some time ago.
    I did ok, I crashed twice in rutty burms mostly because I let muscle memory from road racing take over and leaned the wrong way and grabbed front brakes… It was busy too, like 25-30 bikes at least all ripping at once.
    I was wondering if there is a place around to practice that is not so hectic, probably not but I thought I'd ask anyway.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Practice Track?

MX101 was very cool about working with people, if you want to go out with a slower, less populated group talk to them.

Just find some old pits and/or trails to rip it up on 'til you work up to it. You said Manchinatti, but your locale says Central NH. If you're in central NH, you're probably pretty fookin' close to some riding areas - even legal ones. If you're in Manch, you're very likely within an hour of some of those same areas...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Just find some old pits and/or trails to rip it up on 'til you work up to it. You said Manchinatti, but your locale says Central NH. If you're in central NH, you're probably pretty fookin' close to some riding areas - even legal ones. If you're in Manch, you're very likely within an hour of some of those same areas...
    Thanks for the idea..I did give it a shot two nights ago at a pit near my house. About 30 min later I see cops on the side of the road waving at me to come to them..
    Sure
    I went through the woods and back yards of some houses got to a road I could connect with and made it home felt like I was 14 again

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sqzeplay74 View Post
    Thanks for the idea..I did give it a shot two nights ago at a pit near my house. About 30 min later I see cops on the side of the road waving at me to come to them..
    Sure
    I went through the woods and back yards of some houses got to a road I could connect with and made it home felt like I was 14 again
    Bwaa haaa! That's awesome! Whereabouts was that?

Off Rt. 3A in Hooksett, Back about 5 years ago I would see a bunch of bikes out in this area.

Off Rt. 3A in Hooksett.
    I know the pit, and good idea not going over to see officer not-friendly. I've eyed that spot but Hooksett P.D. goes by there quite a bit. In the time you were in there, how was it?

What kind of MX bike did you get? Are you interested in trail riding?

Off Rt. 3A in Hooksett, Back about 5 years ago I would see a bunch of bikes out in this area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcee-51 View Post
    I know the pit, and good idea not going over to see officer not-friendly. I've eyed that spot but Hooksett P.D. goes by there quite a bit. In the time you were in there, how was it?
    Yup, I believe it's a state-owned pit now. Used to be part of Manchester Sand & Gravel? We actually do a lot of riding in that general area. There's a lot of land between 3A, 293 & Hackett Hill Road. My inlaws live on Hacket Hill Rd and have trails leaving from their house. Once in a while we'll take the power line trails over to the pit and tear up a quick one before the LEO's show up. I don't know how they do it, but they seem to always be there lickitysplit...

owning a dirt bike today sucks more than before

some of the older riders out here in CA told me there used to be highschool motocross in the 70's!! now that's bitchen!

Yea that pit on 3A is fun but easy way to get in a bit of trouble. Clough isn't far for trail riding but gets busy. For MX (I haven't been yet) but the new track in Belmont I heard is pretty fun for a local spot. I know of a bunch of trails and a good pit in the Loudon area I used to ride (sold the dirty bike for now) if you want a map. Never had any problems out there.

Yes, they gas up and go sit up in the woods on the other side of the road by the highway. Near a old Pilazi construction building....Sketchy
    The pit rocked while I was there but I will not be heading back.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Yea that pit on 3A is fun but easy way to get in a bit of trouble. Clough isn't far for trail riding but gets busy. For MX (I haven't been yet) but the new track in Belmont I heard is pretty fun for a local spot. I know of a bunch of trails and a good pit in the Loudon area I used to ride (sold the dirty bike for now) if you want a map. Never had any problems out there.
    I'm getting pumped to go try Clough, I hear a lot about it, never been. I know going up to the track on race weekends I would see some MX bikes on 106 just past the intersection of 129 after the bridge. Seems like some berms and maybe some hilly stuff.
    Being so new to the dirt stuff I just want to be in the open to ride and get a feel for what is going on. I need to purge my brain of the road race technique and learn mx..

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    owning a dirt bike today sucks more than before

some of the older riders out here in CA told me there used to be highschool motocross in the 70's!! now that's bitchen!
    It does suck, I went against my own advice. I said Self your not getting a dirtbike unless its road legal so you can at least ride to some trails. Well what do I do buy a 2011 kx250; now I have to trailer to places I don't even know where I'm going.
    This is supposed to be my retirement from road racing progression. They say "road racers don't retire they go MX'ing" well this is starting to suck already.

ya, imho if you have a full-time job that's not flexible (ie. in real estate you can make your own schedule) these are the only times to have a dirt-only bike:

1.) you can ride on your own property, or ride out of your backyard to trails and be able to go after work (3-5 times/week)
    2.) there is MX on the way home from work (sub 30 mins), and you can safely store your bike in your truck while you're at work (can go at least 1-2 times/week) - I'm thinking A13's setup w' an annual or season pass
    3.) riding is <45 mins away (can go once/week or once every 2 weeks) - this includes illegal but "tolerated" areas

for you, I don't know central NH very well, but I'd say you *could* fall into category #3. You just need to find those illegal/tolerated spots nearby. These places won't be posted on forums (if public, will be shut down), so you'll want to talk to the older local mechanics that rode their dirtbikes around your town in the 70's and 80's; they'll tell you where all the close hot spots are...then from there, the current riders you meet at those spots will tell you where you're least likely to get caught.

again - this only applies if you work full time and have to be at work. If you have passive income, retired, or work flexible hours then ride whenever you want.

for me since I have to go 1-2 hours to ride, I was only going once/month. It's just not worth it for me...some parts of the year I was going once every 3-4 months...which is the equivalent of 3-4 rides/year.

I finally got a dual sport (which really sucks at any serious dirt - suzuki dr200se, but my knees have suffered enough damage from mx anyhow), and now I ride 3-4 times/week. Even if it's a quick jaunt through the gravel road next to the industrial area, or sneaking in wheelies down empty roads on the way to/from the gym, or taking it to church, it's a friggen blast. With the dirt-only XR100/CR125, I would go once every 2-3 months (and maybe 5 times/year!)...but now I can still make those 2 hour day trips, but still be able to take quick jaunts in between as well.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-13-13 at 02:49 AM.

Up in Maine it seems a lot cooler. Though it seems like 4 wheeler rules dirtbikes are considered ATV's. I want to go to Mount Blue State Park. It has nearby camping and trails. The thing there is to pay the 69 dollars for hassle free riding. The state wants you there.

http://www.stateparks.com/mount_blue.html

http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/progr.../atv_maps.html

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    ya, imho if you have a full-time job that's not flexible (ie. in real estate you can make your own schedule) these are the only times to have a dirt-only bike:

3.) riding is <45 mins away (can go once/week or once every 2 weeks) - this includes illegal but "tolerated" areas
    He's within an hour's drive to a handful of LEGAL riding areas. People are usually reluctant to share the non-legal-but-tolerated areas. Although I WILL tell him that the trails leading to and from the pit we speak of and many trails in & out of those same powerlines are of the tolerated kind...

Lifer

Where are the LEGAL spots?

Within an hour of Manch? New Durham, Hop/Ev, Claremont. They're easy enough to find on the Google-finder...

Within an hour of Manch? New Durham, Hop/Ev, Claremont. They're easy enough to find on the Google-finder...
    Claremont's closer to 90mins from much of manch.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    Claremont's closer to 90mins from much of manch.
    Really? I don't remember it being that far, but it's been quite a while since I've made the trek from Manch to Claremont...

Really? I don't remember it being that far, but it's been quite a while since I've made the trek from Manch to Claremont...
    been a while for me too, but i did it enough in high school and i could never do it in under 80 (from exit 6 off 93 anyway).

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Can you run at Bear Brook with MX bikes? I see them there in the winter...

I'm looking at some land in the Dunbarton area, commercial. If all works out I'm making a MX/trail setup for people to come ride. Driving the bulldozer will be part of the fun as well.....

Lifer

I'm pretty sure that's winter only; with snow on the ground. Same with Pawtuckway.

Can you run at Bear Brook with MX bikes? I see them there in the winter...

I'm looking at some land in the Dunbarton area, commercial. If all works out I'm making a MX/trail setup for people to come ride. Driving the bulldozer will be part of the fun as well.....
    Bear Brook is snow-cover only, to keep it simple. I could use a dozer up at my property in New Durham...

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's winter only; with snow on the ground. Same with Pawtuckway.
    Just Bear Brook. I'm assuming by 'Pawtuckaway' you're referring to Hop/Ev. A little known area within Hop/Ev is the Bound Tree trails too. But Hop/Ev is open year-round to wheeled vehicles, except when it's posted for mud season...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast