Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Studding Tires...

Studding Tires...

I wanna stud the tires on the Raptor, but never done it. Everyone I've talked to says to buy them gold-thingy's. Any tips? Do 'em at an angle? How many will I need, 500? 1000? And will I need to replace the tires in the spring or do I just back out the studs?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Studding Tires...

1.25 chisel picks

if going in a circle the cutter screws will work...you using the stock tires?i used to put 3 or 4 per lug.... i would buy a thousand or two....get some cheap stockers becuase they will rip out and basically ruin a good tire

RIP....jason white.... 8/3/07....we love and miss you dearly

Studding Tires...

The gold racing or Kold kutter srews are what I have used in the past with great luck. they come in different lengths, measure what you have for a tread left on the most worn tire. I have the 7/16 '' screws. .But if you have a deep enough tread, get the 1/2" ones for more thread engagement.
    I put them in the winter and back em out in the spring and continue to ride on the same tires with out issue. If you ride just on the ice you should get a full winter or 2 out of them but if you go on any trails you'll dull the screws and rip a few out.
    On occasion after some hard ice riding, you may need to turn a few back in.
    I have heard that people have had good luck dipping the tip of each screw into gorilla glue before screwing in.
    I think a box of 1000 is roughly $45 -$55 depending on where you buy them.

Screw them in straight, matching the angle of the knob. R7 may be able to give you an ida on QTY, you might be able to dig up an old photo on this site showing a pattern.

For a dirt bike I used roughly 500 , ( 200 in the front and 300 in the rear)
    For a 2 wheeler it Takes roughly an hour to screw up each tire and 20 - 30 min each tire to back em out.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Studding Tires...

Its not a real good pic but you can see on the quad that you basicly just fill each tread with how ever many screws will fit.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Lifer

Studding Tires...

The gold screws are the cheapest possible route. Cold-cutter screws are 10 times better, you'll have to order them because I don't know many places that carry them. In the spring time just back them out and you're fine.

I'm going to try some new studs out. I'll get you the link when I find it.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Studding Tires...

I use the gold ice screws and seem to have quite a bit of fun. Buy a box of 1000 and a box of 250 and you'll have plenty for the Rappy. You'll need some pretty good tread on the tires though as you will need to use the 5/8" long studs, the 1/2" ones will rip out with torque of the big thumpers...learned that lesson

I used my racebike from LRRS as my winter toy, it was also the first thing I ever studded with something other than sheetmetal screws. I loved my YZ 450 on the ice, but I gotta say a powerful sport quad is way more fun IMO.

Last edited by R7; 12-16-07 at 08:42 PM.
    Yamaha

Studding Tires...

We are studding tires now. Michelin's like crazy, but we have studded two sets of Kenda Millville Sticky's to test.

The 19" sets for the YZ144 worked out awesome. These were run by Tony at REP in West Springfield.

Neil at Cliff's KTM has the 18" set. He's running them this weekend. The Sticky is a neat tire, very easy to stud.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin