Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
yupp...this

is it anymore expensive to maintain than the bikes?

my friend told me to ride just it more...buy one...get used to it, then I'd like it more than bikes. Was thinking about it, but it seems like you need more money to even get into one and maintain it. No option for any sort of street plate or fire road access either...so maybe 4x/year max usage if I can't ride out of my garage...so not sure I want to do that. I'll just do more reading...
Just for comparison...

2014 YZ450F msrp = $8599.00
2014 YFZ 450R msrp = $8799.00

So purchase cost is very close, though bikes seems to depreciate faster than quads. As for maintaining costs, I'd honestly say the quads are probably less..unless you crash a lot and break things. You'd think tires would be be a big cost factor, but they are about half the cost of dirtbike tires each, and they last twice as long..so it's a wash. I can only speak for Yamaha's as far as quads, but after the initial purchase price, the cost of ownership for me has been very very low.
It's best to do what you are doing and rent one a few more times to make sure you're going to like it before making the investment. If you learn to ride it properly, they are a lot of fun