Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Good places to ride

Good places to ride

Hey everyone, a friend of mine just traded his RC51 for a quad and a dirt bike. Looking for some decent areas to ride that aren't too far (within an hour or so) from Boston. Any recommendations?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Good places to ride

sorry I have no idea on legal places, I just go to tracks and a friends house basically

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Wirelessly posted (TELECA-/2.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; EN-US; SAMSUNG; SPH-M810; Teleca/Q05A/INT) MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Franklin has some good trails for quads and a lot for 2 wheels that we ride a lot.

James

All quad riding at Franklin is illegal. I've seen quads there but if you get caught its a ticket or the impound... or escape if you can.

I don't know of any legal places to ride quads (other than private property with permission) within 1 hr drive of Boston.

spes sibi quisque

LRRS AM #511 (retired)
    DNF Racing

with in 1 hour of Boston, the Windham Rail trail in NH isthe only legal place.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

IIRC the only LEGAL place to ride trails with a quad is out west central MA on COY HILL

put this location(Brookhaven lake ware ma) into Google and it'll put you on rt 9 in ware near warren ma at one ofthe entrances to COY HILL there are usually DEM guys there on the weekends but they don't check everyone.

IIRC this is also a MASS MUDDERS practice area maybe some more info there. sell the quad and get another dirty bike

Last edited by The Crashing Tomato; 08-20-09 at 02:51 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

Lifer

AGH! Please do *not* go to the Coy Hill area. There has been much trouble there lately with abutting land owners. There are trail cams up to photograph you and you will almost certainly be stopped by the EPO's.
    I live here, and my brother is an EPO, and I don't even go there anymore because of the trouble that has escalated in that area.
    I have been riding there for over 30 years. I blame the 4wd clubs for tearing the place to shreds in the last few years, but it is of little or no consequence now.
    The Hill is basically closed now, unless you stay on Prendeville Road, and that is not very forgiving to sport qwads at all.

Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I'll just tell him to leave the quad at home and have some fun.

I didnt realize it was not legal in Franklin to ride quads. I see them in there all the time.

James

Yeah, only plated dirt bikes are allowed in Franklin.

We stopped riding Franklin due to the number of unsavory "I don't give a fuck" types that frequented it. The "legal" trails at Franklin are also quite small and IMO boring. There are much better trails that cut off the beaten path and lead to several sand pits, but all of that is illegal to ride on.

Once we started going to Crow Hill, we never went back to Franklin.

spes sibi quisque

LRRS AM #511 (retired)
    DNF Racing

Quote Originally Posted by deeto View Post
    Yeah, only plated dirt bikes are allowed in Franklin.

We stopped riding Franklin due to the number of unsavory "I don't give a fuck" types that frequented it. The "legal" trails at Franklin are also quite small and IMO boring. There are much better trails that cut off the beaten path and lead to several sand pits, but all of that is illegal to ride on.

Once we started going to Crow Hill, we never went back to Franklin.
    We do all the trails. Never been bothered. Had plenty of police wave to me while on them.

Id do crow hill but my bike is setup for the woods. I cant ride MX worth crap and I dont have a truck to get my bike there. Its going to be a few months before mine comes in.

James

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

S-O-R-R-Y about the COY HILL thing everyone. I havn't ridden there in two years. Too bad that place is lots of fun.

---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

Lifer

No problem. The more folks that know what is going on there, the better. It is somewhat ironic that the very 4wd clubs that got the placed shut down, are now trying to work with land owners and the con-com to get it re-opened - for "them" only!
    So far, they have been met with a flat out "Thanks, but no thanks".
    I would correct my first statement and say that I have been riding there for closer to 40 years, instead of 30, but it really doesn't matter. It is still a shame that a few ruined it for everybody....most likely forever.
    Search "Coy Hill" and see what you read on the 4wd sites. It isn't good.
    If you do not mind getting your bike, qwad, or truck out of impound, by all means - give it a go!

Handful of places in NH. But Maine is the ATV meca...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

i'm not into quads, and it's not within an hour of Boston but i would imagine Pittsfield SF would be a fun place to ride if you have a mix party of dirt bikes and quads. wide trails and decent size.

cant remember if the other larger SF's in the area are quad friendly or not but they've all been a fun day to me, on a bike at least. Bear, October, Pittsfield and i cant remember if i ever rode Tolland. think its smaller than the others.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    Bear, October, Pittsfield and i cant remember if i ever rode Tolland. think its smaller than the others.
    Tolland is south, not far from the Ct/Ma line. I always enjoyed riding there, but just like all others it seems you need to venture off the legal trails to make a day of it One of my favorite trails was the "step" trail

A few years ago, I rode my quad "near" Franklin. I parked at the water tower and hit the powerline trails from there. I was registered and got stopped by the DEP, pretty much said..you can ride there while pointing to the powerlines, but you can't go there, while pointing to the state forest trailhead. Not sure what's changed in the past few years though?

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Handful of places in NH. But Maine is the ATV meca...
    There's 6,000+ miles of legal ATV trails in Maine Bikes are slowly being excluded from those trails though

Yamaha