Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

places to ride

places to ride

So I am thinking about getting into some dirt riding. It has been for ever. Are there any good places near or on the north shore of Ma to ride? If not where would be my closet place to go.
    I just want to make sure I am going to get some use out of it.
    Thanks,

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Steven

Re: places to ride

there is a nice concise list posted here in the DB forum by breakdirt916 but i can't find it right now. here's a post of his that may help though. we should really have a sticky somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post

I'm copy/pasting this from a previous response:

1.) there are 6 state forests in addition to Hodges Village Reservoir in Oxford, MA that are open for OHV

2.) for motocross and closed tracks, there are Crow Hill (Templeton, MA), Capeway Rovers (Middleborough, MA), Southwick, and the flat track up in Winchendon (which also has endurocross events)

all the sites are listed, and google map'd on thumpertalk's Where2Ride section

3.) not posted on Thumpertalk, or anywhere else are Turkey Runs, Hare Scrambles, and Enduro runs through NETRA. Most of them require a street plate, but a few Turkey Runs per year are all on private lands, so you can run your yellow plated bike. They have a list of local clubs here.

4.) there are a couple of illegal, but tolerated, places to ride that I don't know about, and private land (AND AS ALWAYS, DO NOT POST THESE LOCATIONS FOR EVERYONE TO READ)

5.) if putting a track system qualifies it as a snowmobile, it will open up a lot of legal riding areas so long as there's 4" of snow

6.) and lastly, I don't know if it's legal to ride on lakes and ponds (I called the town recreation department about a local one, and they said no), but the rules for most public ones say "(...in regards to ice) Snowmobiles, motorcycles, iceboats or any other winter recreational vehicles shall exercise reasonable caution and keep a reasonable distance from all persons...". If it were illegal, why would that rule be there?

for trails, the state forests that are closest to you are the best legal bet

and yes, since there are limited riding areas, a street plate definitely helps to connect trails and ride gravel roads (see theothersean's threads)

Beta 200RR

Thanks Clinton,
    That's some interesting info.

Steven

no problem. i didnt look at distances for you but hope something works out

Beta 200RR

thanks for forwarding the info Typeone!

and nice to see another dirty bastard

how far are you from NH?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    thanks for forwarding the info Typeone!
    no sweat. where the hell is that big post you put together with all the resources? the TT link is good but thought you had a really concise post here somewhere (?) i can never find it

Beta 200RR

hahaha, I don't know either...I thought that list was it!

we could definitely put together an FAQ someday...have one section about riding areas, another about registration/MA ORV info, hopefully someone can do a quick write-up about racing, a "how to make ice tires" thread, info on reputable service shops/services (ie. GMD for suspension, eric-gorr for top end servicing), links to youtube videos on rebuilding a 2t top end, and lastly a section that says "which bike should I buy?" and link them to threads made by Kurlon and myself about the money pits we call old dirt bikes

and if we could have an NESR dirt bastards album, we could put together photos from our trail/mx/ice rides to show the rest of the forum to help them get through the winter months

luckily we also have R7 and stoneman in the dirty section...so boss(es), would it be possible?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-13-11 at 06:28 PM.

Boy look what I started. Well hopefully it will be a good thing.

Steven