Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Places to ride in RI?

Places to ride in RI?

I picked up a new toy recently- '06 Honda XR650R. I'm working on getting a plate for it, I just have to wait a week. Looking for some fun trails or other places to ride in or around Rhode Island. I found a few short Jeep trails near where I'm staying out in Richmond, but those take 10 minutes each, tops. There has gotta be other places out there!

I've looked up Pachaug, and I'd like to get over there at some point, but for the time being I'm seeing what people can tell me about places in RI?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Places to ride in RI?

I have some fun routes that I like to take on the Motard, could be changed to include a bunch more dirt roads. When I take the Tard out again i'll PM ya. I was thinking this sunday.

Look up Old Voluntown Rd in Ct. That could lead into a bunch of dirt roads, ties into Pachaug acually. Its across from Arcadia park where the Trials events are held. The thing with RI is you have to make a good route to stay off the roads. Also their are not to many long roads that you can spend time on.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    I have some fun routes that I like to take on the Motard, could be changed to include a bunch more dirt roads. When I take the Tard out again i'll PM ya. I was thinking this sunday.

Look up Old Voluntown Rd in Ct. That could lead into a bunch of dirt roads, ties into Pachaug acually. Its across from Arcadia park where the Trials events are held. The thing with RI is you have to make a good route to stay off the roads. Also their are not to many long roads that you can spend time on.
    Sweet! I'd love that. I'm putting new 50/50 tires on tomorrow/saturday.... Problem is I won't have plates/reg til next weekend....maybe I'll swap on another plate and hope for the best

I was on Nooseneck Hill Rd today heading home and I saw 3 guys stopped on quads so I swung around and asked them where they rode in the area. They told me something like Big River, and mentioned a bunch of trails. Looking it up its State Management Area... is that legit for riding?

Quote Originally Posted by khuygie88 View Post
    Sweet! I'd love that. I'm putting new 50/50 tires on tomorrow/saturday.... Problem is I won't have plates/reg til next weekend....maybe I'll swap on another plate and hope for the best

I was on Nooseneck Hill Rd today heading home and I saw 3 guys stopped on quads so I swung around and asked them where they rode in the area. They told me something like Big River, and mentioned a bunch of trails. Looking it up its State Management Area... is that legit for riding?
    Did you just buy it, like today? In RI you can legally swap a current registered plate for 5 days from the date of a private sale, upto 20 days if it was bought from a dealer.

I used to ride Big River for years, still by far one of the best riding areas i have ever been in. Very VERY illegal now though, you do not want to get cought in there. You can get a legal taste of it though if you go to the Thrill & Chill event next year as that ride uses a 20 mile single track trail in Big River.

I have a pretty fun loop put together that's a good mix of bumpy paved roads, some twisty smooth paved roads, some dirtroads, some 2 track trails, and some single track trails. Can easily get in a 100 mile ride and never be more than 15 miles from my house.
    I can't lead a tard ride for a while tho, busy the next few weekends and the tard wheels are on the trackday bike and I'm doing to more at the end of September.
    If you're up for getting beat up and laughed at a lot, I can lead you through Pachaug Actually with just getting 5" of rain, I would stay away from Pachaug for a while

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Did you just buy it, like today? In RI you can legally swap a current registered plate for 5 days from the date of a private sale, upto 20 days if it was bought from a dealer.

I used to ride Big River for years, still by far one of the best riding areas i have ever been in. Very VERY illegal now though, you do not want to get cought in there. You can get a legal taste of it though if you go to the Thrill & Chill event next year as that ride uses a 20 mile single track trail in Big River.

I have a pretty fun loop put together that's a good mix of bumpy paved roads, some twisty smooth paved roads, some dirtroads, some 2 track trails, and some single track trails. Can easily get in a 100 mile ride and never be more than 15 miles from my house.
    I can't lead a tard ride for a while tho, busy the next few weekends and the tard wheels are on the trackday bike and I'm doing to more at the end of September.
    If you're up for getting beat up and laughed at a lot, I can lead you through Pachaug Actually with just getting 5" of rain, I would stay away from Pachaug for a while
    Nah, I got it used from a guy in NJ a few weeks ago. It was a deal I couldn't pass up! Like I said, I'll have the plates and the reg next Friday... I can always just put off riding for another week... I suppose

I've been checking out whatever groups I could scrounge up online: NETRA, RIOHVA, Rhody Rovers... I'll have to check out some of their meetings.

Thanks for the heads up on Big River. The guys I talked too didnt seem overly concerned with getting in trouble, and their riding was probably a notch above mine.

As far as riding in Pachaug, I read to avoid it after the rains/big thaws but at some point I'd love to have someone show me around. I'm okay with being laughed at... but I think you might end up hurting yourself from laughing so hard!