Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

First ride... Ringa ding ding ding ding...Braaaaap

First ride... Ringa ding ding ding ding...Braaaaap

Liking the smoker so far!
    I couldn't hold out anymore and had to ride. I took a quick walk to check ground condition and figured it was OK to ride a couple laps.
    I ended up with about 4 miles and put about 1/2 hour on the bike.
    Wow, is this thing light! Good torque and power, lugs down to nothing and pulls out with a twist of the wrist. I also found myself riding a gear up to smoothen things out a bit...which was a good/bad?? habbit I have from riding my WR450.

Still some snow patches here and there and the ground is soft, but some of the trails are all rocks so I'm going to try and get out afterwork more often, specially with setting the clocks ahead this weekend.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by R7; 03-09-11 at 07:41 PM.
    Yamaha

Re: First ride... Ringa ding ding ding ding...Braaaaap

I find myself riding a gear up in trails if I'm not trying to have any fun, am taking a break, or don't want to hurt myself. The trail has to allow this though, meaning relatively flat and smooth.

If i plan on hopping rocks, tearing out of corners, climbing anything, or riding as fast as I possibly can, I'm in the meat of the powerband. One of the first things i learned on a 2-smoke is that I cannot hit anything comfortably unless I'm comfortably in the power. If you are lugging around, riding a gear up and decide, oh damn, I want to launch this rock right here, there's a good chance you don't get in the power and the rear wheel comes up, or you hit the power unexpectedly, the light switch flips on, and you almost loop it. Point being, you can't ride as aggressive a gear up as you can in the right gear. There's a good chance this may be more noticeable on my 250 than your 200.

I want to hit my trails so badly. I was at my parents house yesterday where I keep my dirt toy and where I ride trails, and they looked pretty clear, but my woods are very hilly, and I know the first hill I reach is going to have 3 feet of snow on it. Also, the river i gotta cross is either not safely frozen over, or its un-crossably deep from all the run off.

Yes, I made up the word un-crossably

Sharp looking bike, I mostly ride trails and should probably be on something like that.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 03-09-11 at 08:11 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I kinda hate you right now. You can redeem yourself by finding the sound clip that goes with the thread title.

Jk.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I find myself riding a gear up in trails if I'm not trying to have any fun, am taking a break, or don't want to hurt myself. The trail has to allow this though, meaning relatively flat and smooth.

If i plan on hopping rocks, tearing out of corners, climbing anything, or riding as fast as I possibly can, I'm in the meat of the powerband. One of the first things i learned on a 2-smoke is that I cannot hit anything comfortably unless I'm comfortably in the power. If you are lugging around, riding a gear up and decide, oh damn, I want to launch this rock right here, there's a good chance you don't get in the power and the rear wheel comes up, or you hit the power unexpectedly, the light switch flips on, and you almost loop it. Point being, you can't ride as aggressive a gear up as you can in the right gear. There's a good chance this may be more noticeable on my 250 than your 200.

I want to hit my trails so badly. I was at my parents house yesterday where I keep my dirt toy and where I ride trails, and they looked pretty clear, but my woods are very hilly, and I know the first hill I reach is going to have 3 feet of snow on it. Also, the river i gotta cross is either not safely frozen over, or its un-crossably deep from all the run off.

Yes, I made up the word un-crossably

Sharp looking bike, I mostly ride trails and should probably be on something like that.
    Keep in mind you are also riding an MX bike where the power is on top. This is a woods bike that has what it needs down low!!! And plenty of it.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    Keep in mind you are also riding an MX bike where the power is on top. This is a woods bike that has what it needs down low!!! And plenty of it.

KB
    Haha my edit was actually the "There's a good chance this may be more noticeable on my 250 than your 200" seeing as I've never ridden the 200. I've ridden a kdx220 a decent amount though, and if its anything like that, yeah, the power is wayyyyy more manageable and lower than my bike.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

jealous!

Beta 200RR

Effing mint

seems like a super fun bike, niiiiice

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Jealous x2. Gonna be a long time before I can get out up here.

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

So....Did you drop it?

Ya, and did you put a pipe guard on it first?

Paul_E_D

I didn't drop it, and no pipe guard yet. The reason i didn't drop it yet, well i didn't ride the "new" section of trails yet, and no pipe guard because I have been lazy and didn't feel like taking a ride to the dealer I have a day off next week, so maybe then i'll go get the pipe guard..and the engine skid plate...and some real bark busters

Yamaha

Well, figured i'd get a ride in before the rain comes tomorrow, sucks as things were drying out quick.
    Painfully slow and rusty, so hopefuuly some nice weather comes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9HKwUm9b8o

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Well, figured i'd get a ride in before the rain comes tomorrow, sucks as things were drying out quick.
    Painfully slow and rusty, so hopefuuly some nice weather comes..
    trail looks fun! so sweet its right in your backyard man do i wish the ground was that brown here

Beta 200RR

That looks like a great piece of land!!!

2 questions.

1. 1st gear whole time?
    2. Standing/Sitting... 50/50? 80/20? Or standing 100%?

I love when a dark patch of dirt comes up because I know the "BRAAP!!!" is coming!

Great little woods bike!

"Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"