Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First ride of the season

First ride of the season

I got the heads up from a friend that the snow was gone in the woods, so I headed back to my parents house and hopped on the dirt toy and off I went.

Killed a few hours, had a friggen blast. Went out by myself, which I know is a terrible idea, but there's something about not worrying about anything but your riding that is sort of gratifying.

Woods out to the powerlines were tough. The heavy snows we got bent all the pine trees over the trails, so its gonna take a few rides to clear em out. I'd go through and walk them and clear them out, but its a few miles, and I'm lazy.

Once I got out to the lines it was smooth sailing. Surprisingly good traction, and it seemed all the water was settled in the low points, meaning everything wasn't muddy. Never made it to our local track though, figured it'd be a mess, and I'm not quite ready for any MX yet.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: First ride of the season

Hi I'm in Brighton, where the hell can you ride a dirt bike around here? probably nowhere and I can't tell from your photos where that is and I understand if you can't be specific but just curious of what general "area" that may be? I want to get a dirt bike but have no idea where you can go and be by yourself and not get hassled by anyone..That would rock.. it seems nowadays you cant' do anything without a permit or cameras or whatever.. you know?

LRRS #516

that looks like the fields at brewster ny....

f yeah man...looks like a friggen blast

were ya rusty? I can't wait to get out there, but I know that it'll feel like learning to ride all over again

jealous!

Beta 200RR

That looks a lot like... well, every powerline cut in Mass.

Westminster, Winchendon, Gardner, Ayer, Townsend, Athol, New Salem, Orange... those are the only towns I ride in...

I had no idea there were still woods in eastern mass... lol.

"Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

There's power lines that can be 4 wheeled on up here (not legally). It's all about knowing where to go. I'm almost positive I know where that is and the MX area is pretty big. I went through there on a mountain bike.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    f yeah man...looks like a friggen blast

were ya rusty? I can't wait to get out there, but I know that it'll feel like learning to ride all over again
    On the open stuff on the lines, it was a breeze. But there are also miles of really tight trails that I guess some really good woods riders cut. Like, squeezing inbetween trees, hopping rocks, technical hill climbs, etc...that i road a few miles of and besides the arm pump killing me, my skills were not up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    There's power lines that can be 4 wheeled on up here (not legally). It's all about knowing where to go. I'm almost positive I know where that is and the MX area is pretty big. I went through there on a mountain bike.
    Probably. I enter in the same town Nick lives in, just the other side of town. So if where you're thinking of is around there, its probably right. Track is very sandy, but the locals RIP it.

I'm lucky enough to have these right out of my parents backyard, its awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    On the open stuff on the lines, it was a breeze. But there are also miles of really tight trails that I guess some really good woods riders cut. Like, squeezing inbetween trees, hopping rocks, technical hill climbs, etc...that i road a few miles of and besides the arm pump killing me, my skills were not up to par.

Probably. I enter in the same town Nick lives in, just the other side of town. So if where you're thinking of is around there, its probably right. Track is very sandy, but the locals RIP it.

I'm lucky enough to have these right out of my parents backyard, its awesome.
    Yea, I made the mistake of going down past the plant and the track and ending up in some nasty swamp that was tore up.

-Alex

Yea, I made the mistake of going down past the plant and the track and ending up in some nasty swamp that was tore up.
    A slow lap around to show the track, then another slow lap which was my attempt to go fast. I suck at MX, haha.

YouTube - Rip at local track

Track has changed a TON since that vid, and its wayyy better.

I know where that's at. I'll have to come ride it with you this summer, when I get all set with the dirty bike.

-Alex

I know where that's at. I'll have to come ride it with you this summer, when I get all set with the dirty bike.
    More than welcome too, just let me know.

Any trouble with that miserable old lady? Or u river cross it.

.:|LaRNZ|:.

hmm, i was gonna say, nice mix of options for a local area... then the 'miserable old lady' crept in...

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by LaRNZ View Post
    Any trouble with that miserable old lady? Or u river cross it.
    River was too high to cross, and no problems with the miserable old lady.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    hmm, i was gonna say, nice mix of options for a local area... then the 'miserable old lady' crept in...
    Yeah, local spots don't come without their quirks. I can normally enter through my backyard, unless the river is too high, which it is now cause of the runoff.

Otherwise, I go through my next door neighbors yard, who is one of my best friends, who I actually bought my dirtbike from. His family are total gear heads so they couldn't care less if I ride through. But they have a lady who lives in a house behind them, who isn't a fan of dirtbikes, but as long as you keep the revs down and don't stop behind her house, she never says anything, and has never called the police. Plus, in 2 minutes you are out of the town, and half of the local cops ride these trails anyway, haha.

But yeah, its a risk, and I take it, no way around it or to make excuses for it.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I grew up riding in areas that looked JUST like that in and around Georgetown. These days, he NIMBYs go mental and the cops come out in force. Just not worth it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I grew up riding in areas that looked JUST like that in and around Georgetown. These days, he NIMBYs go mental and the cops come out in force. Just not worth it anymore.
    Shit, I thought I was gonna get to use my powerlines. I got a friend that runs them still.

-Alex

lol @ this thread turning into a "tolerated' riding area thread

I know jettajay knows, but just a reminder as always to everyone, don't post the location of these sites! if any schmoe or cop can read this site, then the "tolerated" site becomes overused (or exposed) and won't be tolerated anymore!

but now I'm becoming curious about areas near me...time to start scanning with google maps for power lines near my house :

the torturous part for me, is that there is a fisheries and wildlife reserve within walking distance from my house, that people USED to ride all the time...now there are signs, people walking on it frequently, strict penalties, and not worth it

Shit, I thought I was gonna get to use my powerlines. I got a friend that runs them still.
    I'm pretty sure people still ride yours. My friend Bret used to live (family still does) just on the other side of yours and they run sleds and small dirty bikes there. You can also get from YOURS to the major ones behind the local quik-e-mart, and there's TONS of awesome riding off of those.

The ones I was saying are not worth it now are the ones by my parents, like out to Crane Pond, etc. Two totally different spots in 2 totally different towns.

Yeah, anywhere people walk a-lot is a no-no. The powerlines are uninhabited by anyone but dirtbikes/quads and the Occasional mountain biker. They also are not patrolled by EPA either, which is most important.

I'm pretty sure people still ride yours. My friend Bret used to live (family still does) just on the other side of yours and they run sleds and small dirty bikes there. You can also get from YOURS to the major ones behind the local quik-e-mart, and there's TONS of awesome riding off of those.

The ones I was saying are not worth it now are the ones by my parents, like out to Crane Pond, etc. Two totally different spots in 2 totally different towns.
    Ahhhhh... I was thinking heading towards Gunit and going north at the transfer.

-Alex

Ahhhhh... I was thinking heading towards Gunit and going north at the transfer.
    Yeah, I think you'll be fine with that. Don't quote me, I have not ridden MA in a few years, but I MTB out there and def. see plenty of evidence that people are still riding there often.

I'd stay outta the unit itself though...

edit: I was actually thinking South at the transfer, I think the riding there is better. You hit roads and run out of (semi) legit areas to be in pretty quick going north at the transfer.

Either way though, I think the main lines you hit after going toward gunit for a few are pretty commonly ridden still.

Last edited by "Dangerous" Dan K; 03-25-11 at 01:05 PM.

Yeah, I think you'll be fine with that. Don't quote me, I have not ridden MA in a few years, but I MTB out there and def. see plenty of evidence that people are still riding there often.

I'd stay outta the unit itself though...
    Bastards! I'll have to get mine square and then head out.

-Alex

that def. looks like a fun practice track, I need one in waltham

LRRS #399
    MX #505

wrenching today. riding a bit tomorrow. It's actually been pretty dry for a while, so I'll check out my practice spot. Mostly just do some cornering, braking, and wheelie control type riding drills.

Paul_E_D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast