Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Short notice 2/15/010 Trail cutting help and ride

Short notice 2/15/010 Trail cutting help and ride

I've been trying to get some trail cut but it's a slow process by yourself. As of now probably 2 miles worth on my own property, and I have another 4-5 miles worth to cut. I'm going out in a few minutes to lay out some trails, and I'd like to cut them before the next snow on Tuesday. Tomorrow being a holiday, may be a good time to ask for some help
    I'll provide lunch and drinks to anyone that helps, plus you'll have earned a riding spot whenever i'm available to ride. I pretty much have the tools, tho a brush cutter would be nice. More looking for bodies. Trails will be cut for both bikes and ATVs. We can ride in the afternoon if you'd like, ATVs will be fine but the bikes will need studs as there's about 4" of snow on the frozen ground.

Anyone? I'll check back later

:edit: Located in central RI

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Re: Short notice 2/15/010 Trail cutting help and ride

How'd it go? I'll be starting a similar thread for our property! :

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    How'd it go? I'll be starting a similar thread for our property! :
    Well if I had just posted a ride thread with no work involved, I'm sure there may have been some takers
    I did some work by myself later in the afternoon...morning ended up being tied up with family, so it worked out anyways

Yamaha

Wirelessly posted (TELECA-/2.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; EN-US; SAMSUNG; SPH-M810; Teleca/Q05A/INT) MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I can certainly help out on the weekends. Next two Saturdays work for me. I cant do next two Sundays.

James

Thanks for the offer James This weekend is shot for me, but maybe next Saturday then? Do you have spiked tires? I tried to take the YZ450 for a ride today and it was quite the workout...forget going up any inclines.
    If I can get in there and mark where I want the trails with ribbons, that'll save a lot of time, seems half the time is walking ahead and picking a "line"

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Thanks for the offer James This weekend is shot for me, but maybe next Saturday then? Do you have spiked tires? I tried to take the YZ450 for a ride today and it was quite the workout...forget going up any inclines.
    If I can get in there and mark where I want the trails with ribbons, that'll save a lot of time, seems half the time is walking ahead and picking a "line"
    Ill be coming bikeless but I can bring my saw that will cut down anything near it

James

Looks like my plans for next weekend have changed a little. If youre still going out I can come along on Sunday but not on Saturday.

James

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Looks like my plans for next weekend have changed a little. If youre still going out I can come along on Sunday but not on Saturday.
    Ha, my plans changed this weekend, I should have posted yesterday! I worked on the trails from sun up to sun down yesterday (with a couple snack/lunch breaks), and a better part of today. If I had to guess, I cut 1 mile of trail. I just got done now doing a couple laps on the quad, some fun stuff for sure.

Sunday would be the better day for me next weekend anyways, so lets make it a plan. Looks like rain most of this week so what little snow is left now, I'm sure will be gone by the weekend. Bring your bike, it's just as important to burn the trails in as it is to cut them. I'm finding once the snow melts, it's hard to see where the trail is until it gets used some

Yamaha

Ill pack the YZ in the truck. Im just going to have to find a set of boots at the shop to use. I shipped mine out to get resoled. All I need now is a time and a place.

James

I'll send you a PM a bit later with my address.
    It'll be weather pending, I'm hearing little blurbs of info saying a snowstorm at the end of the week, if there's more than 4-5" of snow on the ground, it's not worth it

Yamaha

Wirelessly posted (TELECA-/2.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; EN-US; SAMSUNG; SPH-M810; Teleca/Q05A/INT) MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Quote Originally Posted by R7
    I'll send you a PM a bit later with my address.
    It'll be weather pending, I'm hearing little blurbs of info saying a snowstorm at the end of the week, if there's more than 4-5" of snow on the ground, it's not worth it
    Works for me. Its supposed to be crappy all week. If its a no go hopefully all the parts for the crf are in and I can do my dirt bike build.

James

Let me know if you'll want a hand Mark. Have had a little free time latly, well a lot. Will have no promblem helping with the trails, thinking of a dirty bike this summer to. Need a chainsaw, string for the layouts? How do you go ahead doing this, walk and cut.....?

You know you're welcomed to help Tom
    A big time saver would be a brush cutter for the ground blueberry plants. A chainsaw would be good as well but I have to warn, the chain will be crap by the time we are done.
    I have survey ribbon marking out some uncut trail now, I plan to complete this "loop" before the weekend. It's probably going to be a little better than 1/2 mile. No string needed, just connect the dots (survey ribbon to survey ribbon). With three people, I could stay a little ahead cutting branches, another cutting the downed tree's with the chainsaw, and the third moving all the cuttings out of the trail. It should go quick, I think Todd and I cut maybe 1,000 feet of trail on his side today after work in about 2 hours.

If anyone else would like to help, the more the better

Yamaha

Still a go for Sunday. About 4" of snow fell today but i think it's going to melt quick. Not a big deal if it doesn't, for the most part the ground has thawed so even with the snowcover, there is good traction if you want to ride.
    I plan on working on them all day tomorrow as well, so that's less work for Sunday

Yamaha

Sounds good. Ill gather up everything tomorrow and be there bright and early Sunday.

James

Thanks for the help today James We kicked some ass cutting those trails and completed that section of the loop. I still have to cut some of the ground brush/bushes but like you said, they will get chewed up quick just by riding it. I took a walk a little while ago and the 2 laps you and I did, plus I did another with Todd after you left, really did a number on a lot of that ground brush. Can't wait for the snow to be gone and things to dry up a bit. You're welcomed to come by anytime to ride or help out.
    I think we may cut some on Todd's side next to complete another loop. After that, I have a single track section I want to cut on my side. It's easier to cut single track so that should go quick.

Yamaha

Was a really good time out there. Its been a while since Ive been working in the woods for any length of time. The trails will be a lot of fun when the snow is gone and there is some traction out there

James

Lifer

I want to ride trails and the parks are going to be closed. Give me a heads up when you want 'em cut or beat in.

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    I want to ride trails and the parks are going to be closed. Give me a heads up when you want 'em cut or beat in.
    If the sun will come out this week and dry things up a bit, maybe this weekend?

Yamaha

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    If the sun will come out this week and dry things up a bit, maybe this weekend?
    let me know. PM, email or call cause I don't get on here much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    let me know. PM, email or call cause I don't get on here much anymore.
    Will do! It's wet and muddy now, but the last of the snow melted today. As long as it soaks in and dries up a bit, maybe Saturday?

Yamaha

Im out for this weekend. To much to do. Saturday is for getting the r6 finished up. Plus I need to get my chain sharpened. Maybe next weekend. Hopefully Ill have my boots back from astar and maybe the crf will be ready by then.

James

Yeah, I'm thinking it's best to wait another week. More snow today so the water is flowing again, and I sank in the mud 6" just walking

Yamaha

Got the chain sharpened and purchased a new one as well. Still no word from Astar about my boots and Im waiting anoterh 2 weeks for back ordered parts for the CRF. So Im down for clearing but probably not for riding unless Astar surprises me.

James

What day works best this weekend?
    I had today off and spent 95% of the day working on them. I moved a LOT of rocks and cut a few trees. I also blocked some sections where the trails are close to prevent trail cutting from one to another.
    There's 4 or 5 fair sized pine trees that need to go, and quite a few more rocks to get out of the way. All the work will be on the existing trails.
    I wouldn't come without a bike

Yamaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast