Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Like Riding on grease

Like Riding on grease

They call it Fall in new england because thats what you do when you ride on wet leaf covered trails .
    Take an otherwise somewhat tame trail , add water and leaves and you have a greasy surface to man handle your bike through , a good work out for sure .

It was nice to learn some new trails today, thanks Greg .

there was this nice little down hill section that on a dry day would still be a slick mud run but add wet leaves to it and all you could do was hold on and slide down the hill and hope you could steer enough to miss hitting the
    "tree of death" that was right in the middle of the hill

I am supprised that we made it up most of the hills we did , although we had a couple that we had to abort 1/2 way as it was just too slick to get up .

this little gem gave me a run for my money I believe it was "devils hill" , made the pachaug powerline trail look tame

I couldn't get up the big rock face so I cheated and went to the side

greg was king of the hill , made it look easy going up, home field advantage for sure

we made our way back off the mountain then to the top of another before calling it a day

I had roughly 75miles for the day and atleast 40+ of that was trail,
    I definately got a good work out today fighting with gravity, wet leaves and all the hidden suprises layijng underneath .

Greg, thanks again for showing me around .

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Re: Like Riding on grease

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
    there was this nice little down hill section that on a dry day would still be a slick mud run but add wet leaves to it and all you could do was hold on and slide down the hill and hope you could steer enough to miss hitting the
    "tree of death" that was right in the middle of the hill
    I know what that feeling is like

I'm usually just hoping to make it to the bottom in once piece without the bike on top of me

that rock face terrain looks knarly...but after watching some dirt bike riding in Moab, Utah, I realized that a dirt bike is more than capable of conquering terrain like that. It's a great test in throttle/clutch/weight control.

As always, great picture report Sean. I've been thinking more and more about slapping on a used baja designs kit, tying it into the OEM power lead under the gas tank, and (with some finesse) street plating the XR200R

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-16-09 at 03:49 AM.

Lifer

What an excellent ride, Sean. I am sore as can be today, and I have never spent so much time on my back! The wet leaves were incredibly slippery. My rear Kenda 270 may as well have been a street tire, although the leaves were so thick in most places that I do not know if a real knobby would have helped at all.
    The ledge section is on Devil's Peak. Unfortunately, we were unable to get to the top of the Mark's Mountain. There are a lot of new "No Tresspassing" signs that were never there before, which we obeyed.
    We met an EPO, who gave us a brief, 3 second chat/check, and let us continue on our way. Nice guy. We were not breaking any laws or tresspassing in any way that we were aware of.
    We also met a train. That bothered me, as I had explained to Sean that a group I had led in the past almost turned into catastrophy. To anybody concerned that we were riding down the tracks, we did not (and will not). We simply crossed the tracks at an ungated paved crossing. Still, the train appeared out of nowhere, fast, and it did surprise me.
    Sean, it was a pleasure to meet you, and I hope your Mother had a very Happy Birthday!
    Greg

Lifer

Oh, and by the way, Thanks for lifting my DRZ off of me! I can not believe I got pinned under my bike like that. That was wierd! The lower corner of the shroud was tucked neatly into my boot, and I could not get any leverage with my arms, or my other leg, to lift the bike up even a little bit.
    I have never had that happen before.... I guess that I am just getting old!
    Greg

i've been riding a decent amount lately and its true the leaves are killer. cant see whats underneath them, they're slippery, and you add water and its double slippery.

took a couple diggers for sure out there, but i really love fall riding.

I ride a custom fighter!