Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Riding technique questions

Riding technique questions

I ran Crowhill today - very, very rusty but started feeling better as the day went on. I've always struggled ENORMOUSLY with the following simple techniques and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts would be great.

1) Tight turns (ie 1. Very tight right hand turn at the bottom of the sand after you sweep out of the left turn, 2. The right hander before the 2 "tabletops" mid track, and 3. The left hand inside line of the first turn after you enter the track (near the woods). To say I go wide is an understatement. I see the nice carved out line, but I plow right over it every time with no chance. It seems like my bike is physically 3x longer than it should be - that's how badly I struggle. I'm not diving in fast either, I just can't get the thing to turn.

2) The downhill sweeping right hand turn to the little tabletop thing - like 30 seconds in from track entrance. What the heck does one do to stick the bike and square up the table? I drift, drift, drift left no matter what speed I'm at, and if I really attack it, I'll end up off the left side of the track every time. Last year it became my line - I have to correct this.

3) What jetting corrections if the bottom end isn't as responsive as it needs to be? Beginning of the season, so I'm slower than normal, thus lacking corner speed. The problem arises when I can't clear a jump because of it. My options are to really twist and hit the pipe and probably rocket to the moon, or downshift which would be too twitchy. Is there a jetting adjustment?

THANKS!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

Re: Riding technique questions

dont give this guy any pointers... he thinks football-style tackles and MX-dicing are one in the same

Beta 200RR

HA! I just burst out laughing and scared the crap out of my wife! Lol. Win at any cost

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

Turns: are you fixating on the entrance? Look through the turn/rut to where you want to exit. Also smooth throttle as jerky will want to kick you out of rut. Press on gas tank with outside leg and also try dragging front brake if you need to a tiny bit.
    On that table thing try to do your turning earlier/quicker so you can get on gas with more of a straight shot at the jump lines. That one gets someruts that will kick you wacky if you don't hit them straight

LRRS #399
    MX #505

You need to kinda become one with the front wheel. Kind of make a line in your head as to where your front wheel needs to go and you'll most likely follow it.

The best advice is seat time, the more you practice the better you'll become.

Also like what Seth said, I usually just go over that jump with the bike still sideways but correct it in mid air. But when I started out, id go as far to the left as possible, then cut it straight so I have a clear str8 path.

However Id be careful doing this, you're basically cutting into another line and one of the fast riders may not expect this if they're behind you.

I found this youtube video for that jump, I guess watch what they're doing

YouTube- nemx motocross crow hill 30c 4-11 2010

2009 RMZ450

Do you know what your current jetting is and is the bike stock? I have the same bike but with a pipe. I can check what my jetting is and let you know. I have it written down somewhere, just need to find it.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

Thanks for the responses. I wish I could cut the track to these areas and just repeat them over and over and over. Unfortunately that's not the case. In terms of jetting, I have a JD jet kit in there - I'll have to research needle positions, etc. and try and figure it out. When I'm running corners quicker, it isn't a problem, but when you're not carrying the speed, it makes for some lousy landings, casings, etc.

Thanks again

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

I'm working on my flat corners right now. One trick is to stand in a crouch until almost the apex, then sit and gas it at the same time. If you're sitting on the way in, it bobbles you around and you can't set your line. The sit and gas it thing gives incredible traction.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by JustInMass View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I wish I could cut the track to these areas and just repeat them over and over and over. Unfortunately that's not the case. In terms of jetting, I have a JD jet kit in there - I'll have to research needle positions, etc. and try and figure it out. When I'm running corners quicker, it isn't a problem, but when you're not carrying the speed, it makes for some lousy landings, casings, etc.

Thanks again
    I don't know about your situation , but I have some supplements that I can recommend that'll make you train harder and MUCH MUCH longer after you're tired if you're interested.

2009 RMZ450

Quote Originally Posted by Neytiri View Post
    I don't know about your situation , but I have some supplements that I can recommend that'll make you train harder and MUCH MUCH longer after you're tired if you're interested.
    lol - I actually started running to help for this season, however am nowhere near requiring supp help. The body has a lot more "responding" to just activity at this point... That being said, running around mx tracks only to work on certain corners is much more tiring/draining than preparing/focusing on your weak areas on roadbikes for sure.

Paul - you make a very good point. I'm definitely more of a "sitter" than I should be, but I seem to deal with it well. The line is somewhat blind though, until I go over it. We'll see - for some reason I feel like I'm trying to steer a barge while others in front of me (whether much better or much worse elsewhere on the track), seem to glide effortlessly through the turn and pull away while I run right over it, from the inside line straight out to the outside line.

I replaced susp springs last year to fit my weight (210), under the impression my rake might be way off. But the calculated spring rate was nothing short of BRUTAL (BRUTAL!!) on my arms/hands, so back to soft stock I went.

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

Quote Originally Posted by Neytiri View Post
    I found this youtube video for that jump, I guess watch what they're doing

YouTube- nemx motocross crow hill 30c 4-11 2010

Great vid - that's what I see in front of me all day long - exactly what I should be doing. This is exactly my pace, I just run different corner lines

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

as far as bike setup you mentioned your springs, did you make sure the sag was set within good range? Other than that maybe try pushing the fork legs up a few mm in the triple clamps so your front is not quite as raked out, might steer alittle quicker.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

^^^ raising the forks is a good option to try for turn-in, static + race sag is def important too.

you know my skill level so take it all with a grain of salt but...

i yell at myself to LOOK AHEAD all the time. when i dont look ahead, the corners gets slower, rougher and just plain tough. i try to visualize my line as far ahead as possible and not look 'down' once i'm there. maybe a glimpse but chances are you know how to motor through so slowing the approach by looking down does you no good and you blow your intended line.

when you corner do you site the line, look through it, drop in, foot out, ass on outer edge of the seat and PUSH the bike down while accelerating? i wonder if some of your cornering frustration is from road bikes (?) you pretty much have to do the opposite in the dirt than what you would do on pavement by placing your ass on the outside. you have the rut to hold the wheels and the inside edge of the tire can get great grip to move you through. flat corners are tough for me.

the comment about putting the front wheel where you want to go is a great one. this is something i'm always mumbling to myself in the woods. place that front wheel where you want to be and the rear will follow. it becomes more important as the obstacles get more sketchy. if that front tire isnt in a 'safe' place, you're doomed.

i agree standing is a big thing, i try to stand as much as possible. again, coming from woods, you cant sit much at all, only for cranking through certain stuff otherwise you are up on the pegs gripping the bike with your knees as much as possible. pretty much all the time, really. standing will help with stamina too. gripping tight with your knees allows you to relax your arms. i'm constantly telling myself these things but usually fade from plain old poor body conditioning. (vodka on the rocks w/a lime, please) it really makes a world of difference when you're gripping the bike lower, centering your connection.

jumping is where my whole session goes to shit. if i can put some of those doubles together this season i know i can improve my lap times by a lot. plus i wont hammer my body so badly.

i feel silly giving 'pointers' as these other guys are faster than me but the above is stuff i try to focus on and think about when out there...

oh, boy, i feel the burn already!

Beta 200RR

lol - "feeling the burn already".

Get yer butt to the track dude - you're seamless through the turns - super smooth, and if I follow you around enough, I'll get it. I'll have to check my sag - 2 springs heavier and my sag was perfect - 210 on stock springs and I imagine it's not good.

If you learn to jump, you will be FAST. You're corners really are awesome to watch, but the jumps kill your speed. I'll teach you if you teach me.

When does the party planning board start planning a CH or MX207 day??

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

lol - "feeling the burn already".

Get yer butt to the track dude - you're seamless through the turns - super smooth, and if I follow you around enough, I'll get it. I'll have to check my sag - 2 springs heavier and my sag was perfect - 210 on stock springs and I imagine it's not good.

If you learn to jump, you will be FAST. You're corners really are awesome to watch, but the jumps kill your speed. I'll teach you if you teach me.

When does the party planning board start planning a CH or MX207 day??
    ASAP

LRRS #399
    MX #505

...but the jumps kill your speed. I'll teach you if you teach me.
    sounds good, just dont get distracted by my new man-toe. minor side effect from the snap-on brass balls i'm testing this season

thanks for the corner props but i just need solid practice and confidence. my mind goes into panic mode when hitting the face of a jump. gotta clear that shit up, the jumps at CH are mostly short. grrrr. fear. two seasons ago i was doing better on one or two of the doubles but the brain erase came back last season.

too much thinking, not enough riding... i'll try to button up the Husky in the next few days so it's ready and waiting.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    ASAP
    Let me know.....I think it should be a weekend thing with 207 one day and Hemond's the next.....

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    Let me know.....I think it should be a weekend thing with 207 one day and Hemond's the next.....
    that would be rad, I want to be in better riding shape before I drive up to 207 but should be good to go soon I hope after riding alittle more.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Let's revive this thread. Watching that guy roll off for the downhill double is making me nervous. I always feel like I barely have the speed/launch power to clear that thing. Or when I try to carry the speed through that flat corner I get outta shape and have a serious moment of commit or die! The big jump right after it is almost the same feeling for me. I REALLY want to get those down so I can clear em every time without any panic moments this year. Any tips?

On a good note, I'm carrying more speed in the corners at my practice track this year, so maybe it will help me with this section...

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Let's revive this thread. Watching that guy roll off for the downhill double is making me nervous. I always feel like I barely have the speed/launch power to clear that thing. Or when I try to carry the speed through that flat corner I get outta shape and have a serious moment of commit or die! The big jump right after it is almost the same feeling for me. I REALLY want to get those down so I can clear em every time without any panic moments this year. Any tips?

On a good note, I'm carrying more speed in the corners at my practice track this year, so maybe it will help me with this section...
    On the downhill double stay outside on your 125 and hold throttle open! Any chop at the throttle and u won't land smooth. The next jump I can stay in 3rd and do the corner off the gas and give it throttle once I straighten out and still clear or at least clip landing a bit. Again just stay smooth/constant on the throttle.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

OK, That's my basic approach, but if I lose traction railing that corner I feel like I'm doomed. It gets bumpy out there too. I was wondering if it's makeable on the inside line, but you have confirmed my doubts...

On the second one I am off the pipe and lose power on the steep, long ramp. Guess I need to man up and try a gear lower.

Paul_E_D

I have 2 turns like that on the track that I ride that have been killing me. I can't grab enough bit out of the corner to clear the table top. Last night I watched one of the fast guys go though it several times and it helped. He went high on the berm and used the soft stuff on top grab traction to clear the jump. I was able to square up the corner and come at the jump good and square and the berm for bit. It took a couple of tries to get the clutch work right.

The other jump is a double after a right turn. That one I just needed to grow a set and hit it. I followed a rider that was clearing it and used them to speed check me to jump it.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com