Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riding techniques

Riding techniques

So, next weekend is going to be a new experience for a lot of us, figured we could have some discussions on any type of dirty riding technique. Anything goes, just looking to get a lot of good information out there and learn some things to practice before I/we (becaue I know I'm not the only new guy) start developing bad habits.

For starters, I am curious about braking techniques.So, I've always used the rear brake primarily in the dirt, but in talking with Justin and Dave, they use the front brake a lot. I always had a fear of the front washing out on me if I used it and growing up riding 80's and being a dumb kid, I guess I never really had a huge need for a ton of braking.

Near the end of the day on saturday, I really started to see a lot of benefit to the front brakes just to scrub off some speed. With the riding boots, I lost a lot of dexterity on the rear brake so I would end up applying too much, that problem goes away with the front. the rear worked fine coming into the tight corners that you would flip around and hole shot out of. Where I found the front brake would be a benefit (assuming mine were functioning well) was some of the sweeping corners. There was the left sweeper that goes downhill, then you flip right into the step down. Maybe the fast guys don't use any brake there, but at my level I needed to slow the pace through the sweeper before it really dropped off to get turned in for the flip right. Couple other places I found it would be a huge help, all similar situations. So before this turns into a novel, am I on the right path?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by BMFR6; 06-15-09 at 07:56 AM.
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Re: Riding techniques

I would say yes Its hard to talk about brakes in general for dirt because each track/situation is pretty different in some respects. Front brake is good to get used to but at the same time, in regards to southwick the bumps will probably get so big that you'll just click down a gear or two and engine brake into the corner/berm. I use the rear brake alot more on tight tracks or tight turns almost to basically slide and pivot the bike around a corner...thats my take anyway but I am no john dowd

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I didn't see any braking zones at Southwick! THere's only like one flat corner. All the rest have HUGE banking like the bowl at Loudon. Combined with the sand, I'd say a roll-off, downshift is all you'll need. BTW, keep the entry speed up into these tall sandy corners or you'll just knife in and fall to the bottom. get on the gas before the apex for sure. No rear break slides.

Paul_E_D

I have a real tough time using the rear brake to pivot and flip around a corner. Something I need to work on bigtime, as I watch those that use it and see how much quicker it can get you through a tight turn.
    98% of the time I'm using the front brake since I have such good experience/feel with it, and very rarely wash out. Brake upright, feather it leaned over...just like on a road bike.

The only 2 aspects of cornering that have helped me IMMENSELY is:
    (1) if you put your leg out in a turn, keep it up high, not down low. If you put it "down" instead of "up/out", you think you're at a tighter lean angle than you really are. Get it up high and out of the way towards the front, and you can lean twice as far while still gripping really well.
    (2) - lean back when coming out of the sand turn. The idea is to keep the front end light to bob through the sand, so when your gassing out of the turn, I bring my shoulders/upper body back more than normal.
    (3) - squeeze the bike in teh sand with your thighs. This is going to be murderous at SW, but is the only way to keep the bike stable under you. God knows 2 laps in I'll be sitting down the entire time, bobbing like a whack-a-mole, but...

My small contribution. Bummer yesterday's class was cancelled - would've had much more to share.

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

haha. yeah, pretty sure engine braking will be more than enough for 95% of southwick so mabey trying to keep this thread stimilon specific was a waste. southwick really isn't like anywhere else.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

The Shane Watts video has a great riding drills and rear brake pivot turns is one of them. Throttle pivot turns is the other. I use the throttle technique more than the brake one so far on MX tracks.

Paul_E_D

speed is going to be sooo important at Southwick with the deep sand and tall berms, agree with all the above. i use both brakes with more focus on the rear but engine breaking will def play a big part at a soft track.

heres a few things i will be keeping in mind to try and stay alive out there

- clean area below gate so it drops fully, pack the dirt strip where you'll launch from
    - weight back for traction, allow the front to float
    - dont get hung up on the squirrelly lines that will form, eyes forward
    - more gas = more better
    - dont let off too soon in the deep corners
    - GRIP the bike with your knees to keep it planted
    - leg out for corners, press opposite knee/thigh into tank for stability
    - try to stay relaxed at the bars, arm pump sucks
    - lower PSI in tires for traction (i'm at 13 F/R for CH usually, may go 12 at SW?)
    - CLEAN, clean, clean airfilter (a spare on hand never hurts)
    - properly adjusted and lubed chain, its gonna take a massive beating
    - pasta dinner the night before for a little carb loading
    - LOTS of water, not just the day of, but for days before
    - NO BOOZE, heh

i suck at huge woops, they mess with your mind and sap your energy quick. focus front wheel to the top of each one, keeping speed up

my hand and arm strength is my biggest worry. holding on too tight will render them useless.

Last edited by typeone; 06-15-09 at 10:05 AM.
    Beta 200RR

not a riding technique per se, but good vid on combating arm pump...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl00Qu3xad4

Beta 200RR

Yea, Southwick requires so little braking because most of the corners are sweeping. On the downhill straits you can either drag the rear brake a little or simply downshift to scrub a little speed. The only times you are on the front and rear hard is when entering a tight turn or heading into one of the turns at the bottom of a hill, like coming out of the old woods section, where the pits now are.

nice teaser I just found, helmet cam stuff
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnwrcRbaKzA&feature=related

LRRS #399
    MX #505

another good video i've found of southwick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4dpW4T4Dk

Thanks, That was cool.

Paul_E_D

cool, thanks! ah, so its a concrete start?

Beta 200RR

yes - concrete starting blocks

2003 YZ250 Blue #416

1999 YZF R6 # 602 *

yeah, that reminds me. the nationals at southwick are 8/29. if you haven't been to this event, you're missing out. the scene is nothing like any roadrace you've been to. you will not get closer to any form of racing, i'd go so far as to say it's dangerously close for you and the racers. so much fun though. i'll start another thread to remind everyone, but it's well worth the $35 addmission and after racing the track, it will be pretty humbling to watch the pros.

(and i would imagine dowd will be out there to give the big names a run for their money)

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

I hope to go this year.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    nice teaser I just found, helmet cam stuff
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnwrcRbaKzA&feature=related
    so you only really need to brake around the tight turns?

but boy does that look like fun

As expected, I barely used any brakes on this track. I actually found it not very technical at all to ride. Not easy, but not technical if that makes any sense. At my pace it was really just a matter of having the stamina to stand for most of the lap. I'm sure it's more technical the faster you go as mistakes were very costly laptime wise.

Paul_E_D

it does make sense, the track has to be ridden fast, fast, fast and smooth.

i failed at stamina and mind games with the ruts. you gotta plow through that shit, ride real aggressive and on the gas almost everywhere. no scary jumps so speed and corner carving is king.

your local spot really does offer perfect prep for that place

Beta 200RR

it was funny for me talking to daniel and others who said it had "no grip whatsoever". It feels totally normal to me as all my practice spots growing up were sand as well. Meanwhile I slow down in corners at loudon too much because I'm scared my slicks will go

LRRS #399
    MX #505

i think i had trouble because the surface is so deep, you dont really know where the 'bottom' might be even though you see the line. with it being a sandy/loamy mix, everything moves... and sometimes it doesnt.

watching the fast guys rail the outsides was great study.

hey, by the way, good to meet you, seth. bummer you couldnt jam out there, hope the knee heals up quick.

Last edited by typeone; 06-23-09 at 09:05 AM.
    Beta 200RR

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    it was funny for me talking to daniel and others who said it had "no grip whatsoever". It feels totally normal to me as all my practice spots growing up were sand as well. Meanwhile I slow down in corners at loudon too much because I'm scared my slicks will go
    I will return to conquer That bitch. I Get more traction on my Snow-rides.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

I'm going to have to borrow a dirt donk one of these days and head out with you guys. My only dirt experience is on an SDG Pro Mini, so expect me to be slow. I've only ever 'doubled' once... and I SUCK at whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i think i had trouble because the surface is so deep, you dont really know where the 'bottom' might be even though you see the line. with it being a sandy/loamy mix, everything moves... and sometimes it doesnt.

watching the fast guys rail the outsides was great study.

hey, by the way, good to meet you, seth. bummer you couldnt jam out there, hope the knee heals up quick.
    ya same here...hopefully I can meet up with you guys at crowhill or rockyhill sometime soon. I actually rode rockyhill on Wed. so I could ride my new bike once for real before racing which is even weirder because my knee was fine all week besides minimal swelling.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Seth, What did you find out at the doc's?

Kurlon, pick up an old 2stroke for chips and join in. Your mini experience will have you up to speed quickly. This is truly cheap fun if you can maintain a bike.

Paul_E_D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast