Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RMV warning!

RMV warning!

So, I have a reg'd dirtbike that I have never gotten inspected. This is common practice, but apparently it is no longer allowed. Or it never was, but now they are enforcing it. I got a letter stating that I had to get it inspected or change the status of the registration. Gah.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: RMV warning!

So, you Registered your dirt for street use? and big brother knows you have not had it inspected ..... So you change the Reg. to off road only??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 01-09-22 at 09:28 PM.

Oh that sucks. Guess I'll be gambling next fall with the truck inspection once it runs out.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

dang getting a renewed registration was always easier than getting the inspection sticker in MA on a dirtybike

however, "follow the money" is a extraordinarily common practice by government agencies. Seems like a small consequence for more revenue. Although to me it seems like a such a low priority for enforcement. Mobs of dirt bikes and atv's w' no helmets mob the streets everyday w' no tags, and minimal to no consequences. Meanwhile a dual sport rider who saved up the money for a bike, paid sales tax, pays ongoing registration renewal = gets targeted?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-09-22 at 11:20 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Typical RMV efficiency.

We cancelled the registration for our old Outback and sold it for parts in CO last summer: signed the title over. They didn’t title it in CO so the title is still valid.

Now got a message saying the Inspection is expired!

Have two Moto’s registered, one never inspected last year. No message for those.

Curious what exactly is the "enforcement" part?

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Curious what exactly is the "enforcement" part?
    If it's anything like RI, it'll be automated enforcement by the DMV.
    The DMV sends you a notice in the mail that you haven't had a recent inspection and you have until X date to get it inspected or your registration will be suspended. The inspection station submits your info to the DMV at every inspection.

Ive owned bikes and have been riding since 1992, last year was the first time I have ever had a motorcycle inspection..lol

Yamaha

CT doesn't even do car inspections nevermind motorcycles...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Interesting. I haven't bothered to get my streetbike inspected since the start of the covidz. Just logged into the RMV and it does seem that they're aware of that now

So the RMV stopped sending out reminders for expired licenses but it has enough money to start sending them for inspections? Figures.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

hmm, that sucks ... was planning to reg the '22 for random Turkey Runs

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    There was some memo on the CT DMV site a few years ago, talking about if it "looks like" a dirtbike, it needs to go through complimentary inspection in Weathersfield DMV. I bough my 1290 super adventure R, new in 2018 out of state, so I needed a vin verification. First place I went to said sorry, it's a dirtbike, needs to go to Weathersfield. I said what makes it a dirt bike. Lady said "well just look at the tires". Showed here the COO stating legal for highway use and everything. Drive up to a quick lube down the streed. Didn't even get out of the truck and the guy walked up asking if I need Vin verification. Not sure what the status is today.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    If it’s old enough and wasn’t bought from within CT they do.

Bikes older then 1980 require a vin verification/safety inspection at Wethersfield.

Also this: “ANY dirt bike or motorcycle that closely resembles a dirt bike regardless of whether the manufacturer is listed on the CT manufacturer's list MUST be brought to the Wethersfield DMV for a courtesy inspection.”

Edit: what he said^^

Last edited by petro; 01-10-22 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petro View Post
    If it’s old enough and wasn’t bought from within CT they do.

Bikes older then 1980 require a vin verification/safety inspection at Wethersfield.

Also this: “ANY dirt bike or motorcycle that closely resembles a dirt bike regardless of whether the manufacturer is listed on the CT manufacturer's list MUST be brought to the Wethersfield DMV for a courtesy inspection.”

Edit: what he said^^
    That's what I was looking for. Couldn't find it on the DMV site. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petro View Post

Also this: “ANY dirt bike or motorcycle that closely resembles a dirt bike
    That sounds like some Massachusetts style bs. Completely ambiguous so they can do whatever they want and refuse to clarify when pressed.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    That sounds like some Massachusetts style bs. Completely ambiguous so they can do whatever they want and refuse to clarify when pressed.
    Yea, the lady at the place that denied me was in her 50s and knew nothing about bikes. I'm like, it's 160hp, 500 lb motorcycle. It's not a dirtbike. Can I have someone else look at it, that knows what a dirtbike is? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    So the RMV stopped sending out reminders for expired licenses but it has enough money to start sending them for inspections? Figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    There was some memo on the CT DMV site a few years ago, talking about if it "looks like" a dirtbike, it needs to go through complimentary inspection in Weathersfield DMV. I bough my 1290 super adventure R, new in 2018 out of state, so I needed a vin verification. First place I went to said sorry, it's a dirtbike, needs to go to Weathersfield. I said what makes it a dirt bike. Lady said "well just look at the tires". Showed here the COO stating legal for highway use and everything. Drive up to a quick lube down the streed. Didn't even get out of the truck and the guy walked up asking if I need Vin verification. Not sure what the status is today.
    Ok that's some bs. I didn't know they had pulled that crap. Totally ambiguous and dependent upon the location to individually enforce. Basically have to play it like you're underage trying to buy booze. Just bounce packie to packie until you get a place that doesn't card.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

High maintenance priss

Thx for the heads-up. That blows. Is there any logic behind it other than money/job grab? Just ticket if someone is operating the vehicle on public ways w/o up-to-date inspection. I have a couple track-only bikes which I reg/ins just for the comprehensive (theft/fire) coverage only.

[edit] - I just checked MyRMV. My car is showing a warning/info for out-of-date inspection (I haven't driven in almost 2 years so haven't bothered with inspection). I vaguely remember getting a letter a few months ago but dismissed it. My track bike that I've had for almost 3 years has never been inspected and I do not see any warning on the RMV site. <shrug>

Last edited by keeena; 01-10-22 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Yea, the lady at the place that denied me was in her 50s and knew nothing about bikes. I'm like, it's 160hp, 500 lb motorcycle. It's not a dirtbike. Can I have someone else look at it, that knows what a dirtbike is? lol.
    Competence is not a job requirement. I wasted hours at a local branch the other day because they kept telling me I didn't even have a motorcycle license. I was stuck dealing with them since another appointment wasn't available for a week. Now I understand why everyone just rides/drives around dirty. The hassle is insane.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

If they want to play hardball, you can too. What is the fine for not getting it inspected vs getting it titled in another state?

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    If they want to play hardball, you can too. What is the fine for not getting it inspected vs getting it titled in another state?
    For trailers it's $500 per year if it's registered out of state. No idea what it is on other vehicles.

The whole vehicle titled and registered in another state, say a dirty bike in MA with a VT reg would fly far enough under the radar the odds of the RMV figuring that out are slim to none.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

do you have a dirty with lights and mirrors? if so, it isn't hard to pass .

Antiques don’t need inspection, do they? If they rag on me for the ‘75 BMW I’ll just register it as an Antique. It hasn’t been in MA for two years.

rides bikes

This feels like a long time coming as I believe they've been doing it for cars for decades. Shitty news though, as I have a ton of bikes and never inspect them. The only time I've ever had an issue with a motorcycle inspection sticker is with meter maids in Boston. If you cover your bike it's a non-issue. Even getting pulled over, cops have never mentioned it.

For what it's worth, I got pulled over for an expired inspection sticker on my truck. The cop said if I paid the ticket and got a new sticker it wouldn't go on my license. Turns out that wasn't true and it showed up as a violation (I forget what kind, but this was like 4 years ago and it still shows up). So if you get popped for no/expired sticker, fight it!

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    If it's anything like RI, it'll be automated enforcement by the DMV......

Ive owned bikes and have been riding since 1992, last year was the first time I have ever had a motorcycle inspection..lol
    Same, I'm a professional procrastinator so i've been getting the "Warning" letters for car inspection stickers for year, 1st for the bike last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast