Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

New to off road, thinking of a wr250r. Any thoughts?

Re: New to off road, thinking of a wr250r. Any thoughts?

I'm going to try to get down there this week and spend a day playing with tire pressures and suspension settings. Besides the back road commute to work (20 miles round trip), I'm trying to get it more dialed for off road use, as that's my end goal for the bike anyway.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

dude...you and typeone playing around with pressures and suspensions makes me all jealous...I just want more saddle time so I can get into that too!!

I generally hear that lower (12-15psi) is appropriate for dirt

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Ha! I'm a newbie at this too, I wouldn't put much weight behind what i do. I'll probably try the TKC 80's once I burn through the D606's. My only resErvation is everyone says they wear super quick. Supposedly the D606's do too but I haven't checked relative prices or how hard it is to change them. That's going to be something new too.
    If you do go for TKC's, I probably will not follow. I thought your man Mark had some suggestions I'd never heard of. I tried to bait him into fessing out on FB, but that didn't work.

I swear my V-Strom came fitted with TrailWings. They were unilaterally unimpressive. (Street, dirt, mud, tread-life.) But now that I look at the Bridgestone website I am not sure. They look more like the Battle Wings. Maybe they reworked their offerings? The current Trail Wing looks appropriate for my use, I think. I'm sure it isn't as solid in the mud as the D606's with that lug spacing. But you can't have everything.

I have Bridgestone tires on more and more of my toys these days and am digging the bang/buck ratio.

Edit: Looks like there is a wide array of tires sold under the name "Trail Wing". I had the "TW101/152" on my V-Strom, which they call on-road only. Looks like there are a crapload of other tread patterns that go all the way through the spectrum to much more off-road only oriented.

Overall, I'm confused.

Last edited by nhbubba; 07-05-14 at 03:17 PM.

whoa whoa whoa....

did you have the dreaded "death wings"?

yes, there are many tires under the name "trail wing" and some of them are okay...which ones did you have?

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Trailwings = Deathwings according to internet. Kinda like all season tires. Shitty all around. They come stock on the DR650 and seem universally hated.

Mark's actually pushing the TKC's on the DR for what I want to do. He has a pretty good idea of how I tend to ride so I'll give them a shot as I learn more about the dirty side of things. The D606's come highly recommended by a bunch of different people, but are overkill for what I'm going to do with bike, at least for now. Kinda like putting a Mud -Terrain tire on a pickup that only sees pavement.

The other tires we were talking about were for the Tiger. Debating a set of Full Bores for that next. Half the price of the Road 4 and close to the same mileage.

Last edited by e30addict; 07-05-14 at 03:32 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Yeah, lots of trail wings out there, I guess the tw41/42 are the ones with the horrible reviews, most of which describe the problem as being "the tire shows no signs before breaking loose", I'm so new to all this I'm clueless as to what that feeling should be. Gonna try what came on the bike, but I know those tires at higher pressures tossed me once already out there.

Lifer

Full Bore. That's the name I couldn't think of. Looked worth a try, maybe. (Edit: Oh, those are road tires. My bad.)

Yeah, yeah. I know about the deathwing thing. But the internet says all kinds of shit, some of it just isn't true. Supposedly one of the Bridgestone "xxx wing" tires are pretty okay and a darn good value. Maybe it was the battle wing. Maybe it was one of the trail wing variants.

Mine weren't worthy of the 'death' name. They just were not impressive at anything. I'd call them more 'all terrain'. Just like an all-terrain pickup tire, they are not standouts at anything, but okay at a lot of things. Kind of like a dual-sport motorcycle.

This thread goog me googling. Maybe some Stinko 244's or something? Can't argue with the $50 price tag. (D606's are almost twice that.)

All I know is the D606's wear a little fast and cost a little much for my needs. And I think the MT21's do to.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Full Bore. That's the name I couldn't think of. Looked worth a try, maybe. (Edit: Oh, those are road tires. My bad.)
    They might have more dirty type offerings, but I'm looking at the 80/20 versions for the Tiger. I want something more dirt oriented for the DR, but not necessarily something to take on muddy single track in the middle of nowhere.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

MT16 front and Vee rubber trials rear. The MT16 is aggressive enough to be on dirt only bikes but it has the DOT stamp. The trials tire will wear better and be smoother on the road in back. That was my choice for my long lost TTR before it was stolen. That bike saw putting around town duty mixed with some sporadic off-road adventuring.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

The WR is an awesome machine (why the hell did I sell mine again? lol). Stock suspension is soft as hell but it's adjustability and aftermarket susp. possibilities make it a podium winner for sure. Finding the right tire combo can be a bitch, especially since the WR is so fun to ride on the street as well. I agree that the stock T-wing tires are a waste of rubber though and should immediately be disposed of in the nearest trash heap. Haha. MY bike was so fun to ride at Hodges Dam and Pachaug (CT)......I'm currently addicted to track days at the moment though and don't have a DS bike. I'm thinking of picking one up again in early October.

Quote Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
    The WR is an awesome machine (why the hell did I sell mine again? lol). //
    Yeah, you need to get another one so we can ride around Boston after a wind storm!

In the market for a WR250R for trail use. I found a few used ones I can afford with the upgraded 3 gallon tank, bash plate, and hand guards. I just want to hit the trails and I think this bike might be the ticket. I don't want to deal with too much maintenance and street legal means I'd probably ride it that much more. Do I do it??

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

No brainer

Paul_E_D

They don't get much lower maintenance than the WR. Fuel injection makes me smile every cold start and they sip fuel too. They don't like throttle until they're somewhat warm but they always fire right up. Probably less of an issue for you in CA though.I actually ride mine way more than the Tiger now.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Funny you say that: ditto here. Such a wonderful all-around bike.

For an inexpensive D/S. They are a surprisingly fun, go almost anywhere bike. Have one, do it. Also bought used, no regrets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are y'all using for a tank bag? Currently have a Wolfman Enduro but it's quite small. But so is the tank. If there's nothing that fits well I'll go with their tailbag.

Backpack. I've seen too many bags fall off unnoticed pounding trails.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Backpack. I've seen too many bags fall off unnoticed pounding trails.
    Strapped, or drilled and mounted? I think if you permanently mount it, it won't disappear.

nedirtriders.com

Didn't pay that much attention beforehand. I just know enough people lose stuff on the rides I've been on I just throw a back pack on. Added bonus is I put a water bladder in it.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

The Wolfman bags have a four point mounting system. I've had one on the WR and TW200 for a couple years, no problems.

Wolfman has a newer bag called the Blackhawk that holds 8L instead of 6: sent in a question asking if it will fit. Not a lot of room up there.

Blackhawk Tank Bag

Enduro Tank Bag

The Peak tail bag holds 11L and mounts well to the billet machined luggage rack, so that seems like the next step. Have a pack for the water bladder if more space is needed beyond that.

Wolfman Peak Tail Bag

Bag & Bike Selector | Wolfman Luggage

Last edited by Garandman; 02-01-17 at 02:40 AM.

Lifer

Give Twisted Throttle / Dryspec a look too. Not sure they have anything quite that enduro. But it's worth a look. Happy as a pig in poop with all of their gear. At least as good as the wolfman stuff, easier on the wallet.

The only question I have is why are we turning our dirtbikes into Subaru foresters?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Not all of us are here to win the hare-scramble. And that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Give Twisted Throttle / Dryspec a look too.
    TT does not have any bags that fit the WR250R. I have a double-ended DrySpec waterproof bag, which is an awesome product.