Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

New to off road, thinking of a wr250r. Any thoughts?

Re: New to off road, thinking of a wr250r. Any thoughts?

Cr500. Done.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

250 dual sport comparison.

Note that the "winner" is arbitrarily based on how they tested. These bikes each have differences that may be important to you or not. If a CRF250L had popped up I might have been just as happy with it for my intended use.

They are all really fun. I wouldn't trade my WR for a KLR650 noway nohow. This impressed me about the Yamaha.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-25-13 at 02:11 PM.

Lifer

Yes - That dyne chart sums up the WR250R pretty nicely. Just remember that HP figures are a mathmatical derivative of torque and RPM. It is not your GrandDaddy's 4-stroke! That said, the older, long stroke designs are not that bad. The KLX 250/300 remains a favorite of mine. The tighter and gnarly-er the trails, the better the long stroke designs are (producing more torque at lower engine speeds).

Advrider Megathread.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Yes - That dyne chart sums up the WR250R pretty nicely. Just remember that HP figures are a mathmatical (sic) derivative of torque and RPM).
    They displayed torque as well.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-25-13 at 07:32 PM.

Lifer

I also think you should not discount the KLX250S. Not as powerful or with as quality components as the Yamaha but significantly cheaper and a little easier to find around. Also, if you wanted to down the road, you could get a big bore kit (331 or 351) for more power not more weight.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by bstnsboy View Post
    I have an xr 400 that i will part with. not street legal but i hear vermont can fix that....looking to deal this thing.http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...400-1800-O-B-O I'll let it go for 1400.00 bottom dollar.....
    Can't go wrong with this offer. The 400 is a bomb proof bike, and tolerably mild mannered for being a 400. If you are on the larger side, the 400 would be my recommendation, as the 250 will do the job, but the 400 will give you room to grow. Besides, the XR's are simple to maintain. I have ridden the WR250R, very competent bike in the woods, and simple to ride, meaning very forgiving. You'll crash and get back up, but the 250R is a great bike to learn the woods on, but has a lot of sack to get up and move you. Remember, FI works well, but if your battery dies or you have an electrical "problem" in the woods, bikey no runny. Learned that the hard way, fortunately we had a guy with a loaner battery with us who had a carbed bike. 250R yes, XR400 yessir, choice is yours, can't go wrong with either.

Last edited by Phat Twin; 12-26-13 at 05:49 AM.

Also, look into the WR450F......Love Mine

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Twin View Post
    Remember, FI works well, but if your battery dies or you have an electrical "problem" in the woods, bikey no runny. .
    Anti gravity has a 14oz jump starter Li Polymer battery. They are powerful enough to start a car. It's small enough to keep in a good sized pocket so body heat will keep it warm.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/microstart/

So, just leaving Wagner, the have a couple leftover Husky TE310r models left over, and willing to work with me on prices. Bike looked a bit too tall, but sitting on it I was able to get the balls if my feet on the ground no problem in sneakers. Anyone have any experience with that model or ridden one and could give me some insight? I'm gonna go check out motorsports int and see what they have to offer.

Lifer

I was considering a Husky TE310 when I bought my KTM 350. The only real "problem" I have read about with them is that the overall (6 sp) transmission spread seems to be narrower than others. Now that I have my KTM, I cannot imagine having a closer spread than what the KTM has. As is, it is difficult to find a sprocket solution that allows good trail ratios, and a decent pavement cruising gear.
    There is a Cycle World "350cc Dual Sport" comparison article out on the web that compares the Husky TE 310 to the KTM 350 and the Beta 350.

Edit: http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/04/05...mparison-test/

Last edited by gregp; 12-26-13 at 01:16 PM.

Also just had a chance to sit on the dr400, which fits fine but does seem a bit heavier. The wr250 fits great, I'm guessing really close ethos to the husky 310, and the Honda 250 (crf I think?) feels really tight and doesn't feel as "solid" as the others. Gonna head home and start doing more homework on the wr and the husky. Depending on who gives me the most for my trade may end up being the deciding factor. I do like the husky because its something different.

Lifer

My DRZ400 is heavy. I would definitely go lighter if your budget permits.

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    I do like the husky because its something different.
    Is that one of the "BMW" Huskies? I'd have a clear understanding of parts and warranty service if so.

The 310 is way more of an actual dirtbike than anything mentioned thusfar. It is essentially a race motor with a stator and lights. This means 500 mile oil changes, and whatever the spec is for valve checks (which likely will never move after the first adj).
    I'm still thinking the wr is the best available ds of anything mentioned yet, for your intents.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

New to off road, thinking of a wr250r. Any thoughts?-kdx220r-1-jpg You can find these without any mileage and minty all day long for 2500 bucks.

Last edited by Rambunctous; 12-26-13 at 03:35 PM.

It is one of the bmw huskys, I asked about that and even though the model wont any longer be made, i guess when a company finishes producing a model they have to keep aftermarket parts available for up to ten years after production ceases (this realistically gives me 9 years of parts availability as they aren't pumping these out anymore). Sadly, the place that carries the husky is willing to give me more for my trade in than where my cruiser was bought, due to that fact they may be getting my business.
    Chip, you're correct with what you said, however, I will eventually be picking up another street bike again, in which case whatever dual sport I have will be primarily for off road. this one seems to fit the bill a bit more, it's a little bit more than I need now, but I don't see myself growing out of it.
    Ramb, nice bike but not a fan of 2 strokes.

Wirelessly posted

Motorsports international is not a dealership I would deal with. It may be a little far from you but take a ride to central mass and talk to William Ainsworth, tell him Corey baker sent you and he should help you out, he's a real nice guy

Corey

Lifer

I bought a motorcycle from Central Mass once. Deal had pros and cons.

gonna give performance a shout tomorrow, see if they can't help out a little more. Depending on how next week goes I may hava trailer to bring it by a couple places to get more serious quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Anti gravity has a 14oz jump starter Li Polymer battery. They are powerful enough to start a car. It's small enough to keep in a good sized pocket so body heat will keep it warm.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/microstart/
    Thats pretty cool. Once the bike is started, will the pack act as a capacitor versus a resistor like a dead battery will? If the battery is toast, then no juice runs through it, right? So that pack would have to act as a storage and discharge unit so the bike will get you bike. Or am I way off here?

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba
    I bought a motorcycle from Central Mass once. Deal had pros and cons.
    Under new ownership as of like 5 months ago

Corey

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    Under new ownership as of like 5 months ago
    Did not know that. I stand corrected.

Maybe I should have asked this earlier, but what are the propper ergos for a dirty bike? The husky's seat height is 37.4", and the wr is almost an inch lower at 36.6". When sitting on both my weight allowed me to get the front 3rd of my foot on the ground in sneakers, obviously on the WR I got more of my foot to the floor. I've ridden dirtbikes before but nothing ever this nice and adjustable, and not sure what I'm looking for as far as this goes (I'm certified to fit people to bicycles, which doesn't convert to dirt bikes). Both feel comfy as far as reach to the bars, and i noticed on the Husky when I straddled it i seem to go towards the back of the seat, while on the WR I felt I was more forward on the seat, again, just straddling them, not riding. I know both can be lowered but then am I giving up travel? Or is this like a downhill bike which I understand, where I can lower the ride height (ground clearance) without sacrificing travel? Sorry for all the noob questions, I'm sure I can search and find some answers but there are actual owners that can help me on here, and it is winter, so I know you guys aren't doing anything else.

Lifer

See 'f' illustrated below.

right down the street from HVD trailhead? getting another street bike soon'ish? ... get the Husky 310 (i may or may not be a lil bias)

if you end up really enjoying HVD, you wont want a bigger DS type bike.

EDIT: yeah, Huskys are kinda tall but once you set it up for you (bar/control position, sag, etc) it may feel better. i believe there is an OEM low seat available for that bike as well. how tall are you? i'm ~5'10" and feel comfortable on both my bikes when riding.

for more info on the 310, hit up CafeHusky.com and start a thread. awesome bunch over there.

Last edited by typeone; 12-27-13 at 10:28 AM.
    Beta 200RR