Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

New to off road, thinking of a wr250r. Any thoughts?

Re: New to off road, thinking of a wr250r. Any thoughts?

36lbs lighter than the WR...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

im almost 6' with a barely 32" inseam.

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    It is one of the bmw huskys, I asked about that and even though the model wont any longer be made, i guess when a company finishes producing a model they have to keep aftermarket parts available for up to ten years after production ceases (this realistically gives me 9 years of parts availability as they aren't pumping these out anymore). //
    That may be but I think you'll find the depreciation shocking and finding a buyer even harder.

I agree. After some homework I've come up with a list of pros and cons for each,
    Husky: pro for brembo brakes, having a back up kick start in addition to electric start, and lighter
    Yamaha: little smaller, which I think will be better for in the woods, better looking (imo), gauge cluster is easier for me to read (small thing to nit pick about, I know, but true), and accessories will be easier to attain, and slightly less in price, meaning lower cost of ownership.
    Having put it all on paper (yes, I'm a nerd), short of the 50cc difference they are very similar, obviously the Husky has the Brembo brakes, Excel rims, and things that make me drool, but it also originally cost over $8k. At this point, after spending some time looking at WR forums and doing my own desktop comparisons, the WR seems like the bike for me. I spoke with my dealer today and I'm just waiting on a phone call after some number crunching. Hopefully next week will bring some good news! Thanks again to everyone for all the help and opinions. i may not always be posting on here, but I'm always reading and it's nice to have a local forum where the people have some real world experience.
    -bryan

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I do spreadsheet comparos too. Still have the one I did for the V-Strom on google docs.

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    ...gauge cluster is easier for me to read...
    I hate the gauges on my KLX/DRZ. I am really not fond of digital speedos regardless of the design. But the DRZ digital dash sucks an extra ball or two somehow. I've strongly considered replacing it with something aftermarket.

The problem is it pretty much doesn't matter on these bikes. Especially offroad nothing on the dash really matters.

So after a week of thinking and questions and homework, I've decided that as much as I like the idea of the wr, I'm disappointed with just one last thing. Commuting. Originally when I got on a motorcycle years ago, it was to use for transportation that didn't cost as much as my car. I'm wondering now if I started down a path i'd eventually like to go down, but may not be right for me right at this moment. I wonder if these thoughts of riding all the time off road are really just going to be the occasional fire road or double track. There's no way I can commute on either of these bikes, which kills me. Are any of the bigger bikes even worth looking into? Knowing what I know now, and being able to plan better for the future, having listened to all the info you guys have passed on, maybe a starter dirtbike shouldn't be the $6000 bike that will be my only bike. Maybe I should save a little and pick up a used $2000 dirt bike and stick with something more street than dirt. I know I'm comfy on the klr, I know it's not a good woods bike, but at this point, spending a large amount of my hard earned money on only one bike to have for now, it may be directed to something different that doesn't keep me from commuting or being able to use the highway. I apologize for the ramblings, these early morning 16 hours shifts aren't helping me at all. So without being too much of a pain in the ass, anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by bryco13; 12-27-13 at 10:43 PM.

Lifer

Check out the DR350SE and if you want something less dirt and more commuter friendly the DR650. You can get a late model DR350SE '98-99 in good condition for $2k. In fact, I have one, 1996, that would sell for $1500 ;-)
    Read up on the DR350SE. The suspension is not on par with the WR or even the newer DRZ400, but it is air cooled, weighs about 20lbs less than the DRZ and has a 6 speed transmission with better gearing distribution. Plus, for the money, they are a good deal.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Dude. You have no fucking idea what you want. You know how I can tell? 'Cuz I been there. (Arguably still am.)

There is no such thing as a swiss army knife, one size fits all motorcycle. The best solution in life is to have a stable full of 'em. I know this now. If space/money/wife/whatever does not permit, it is time to make some compromises.

For me, for my money, my DL650 is the best compromise machine I've found yet. It was (relatively) cheap. It does almost everything okay, but not well. It commutes. It gets great gas mileage and has amazing range. It chases sport bikes. You can camp on it. I can almost bring home groceries. You can do quick runs to the hardware store. You can do VERY MILD off road IF YOU HAVE superb lower body strength.. 'cause she gets heavy quick! It is almost bulletproof. (I'm looking at you charging circuit!) It does track days. It will carry 2 up (relatively) comfortably. There is a huge aftermarket. And nobody tries to steal them.

It is not fast. It is kind of heavy. It is not an 800/day touring machine. It will do everything from super-slab to forest roads.. but not trails. It will not impress chicks. At motorcycle night, the only people it will attract are older, balding men. And if you do a track day, the body position clinic will barely make any fuckin' sense.

If money were no object, I'd probably flip mine for a liter plus touring machine. Especially now that I have a fun runabout in the garage next to it. But if I had to throw out all but one, the V-Strom would stay.

YMMV. Happy shopping.

Last edited by nhbubba; 12-27-13 at 11:31 PM.

Great post bubs. Lotta hard earned insightful knowledge there. The kinda stuff you would never get from a magazine review, or god forbid the dealership.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

A brand-new Honda CB500X is $6,000 and get some great reviews. ABS model is $500 more.

People are starting to "get real" with their bike purchases, especially for a commuter. I would definitely get ABS on a commuter.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-28-13 at 12:31 AM.

I think I'd still spend the 6k on a real dirty toy, and pick up a $2000 klr or sv or ujm to commute with.
    I know you know bicycles and stuff, would you want to go on a mtb ride on a next from walmart? Riding a klr or dr650 or xrl is going to be just like that.
    If you're talking hvd, you'll want the lightest and best suspended bike you can afford. Some of the shit out back there is grizzly. Most of the main trails are nice and open and flowy, but not on the backside.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Chippertheripper; 12-28-13 at 06:49 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I think a DR350 would be a lot of fun, and would help you to decide if you really want to ride off road.

Dude. You have no fucking idea what you want. You know how I can tell? 'Cuz I been there. (Arguably still am.) I think we all suffer from this problem.

There is no such thing as a swiss army knife, one size fits all motorcycle. The best solution in life is to have a stable full of 'em. I know this now. If space/money/wife/whatever does not permit, it is time to make some compromises. Spoken like a true bike Jedi.

For me, for my money, my DL650 is the best compromise machine I've found yet. It was (relatively) cheap. It does almost everything okay, but not well. It commutes. It gets great gas mileage and has amazing range. It chases sport bikes. You can camp on it. I can almost bring home groceries. You can do quick runs to the hardware store. You can do VERY MILD off road IF YOU HAVE superb lower body strength.. 'cause she gets heavy quick! It is almost bulletproof. (I'm looking at you charging circuit!) It does track days. It will carry 2 up (relatively) comfortably. There is a huge aftermarket. And nobody tries to steal them. I've offroaded on my DL1000, sucked in the whoops, but sliding the back end around a bit was fun. Strength is a necessity, just in the picking it up once you've dropped it department.

It is not fast. It is kind of heavy. It is not an 800/day touring machine. I disagree. A new Sergeant saddle, some ergo tweaks and this thing will ride all day well. Lunch in La Patrie, QC, is a yearly trip for me. One day. 600 miles, and there is still daylight left for more mileage. It depends on what your ass and back can handle.It will do everything from super-slab to forest roads.. but not trails. It will not impress chicks. At motorcycle night, the only people it will attract are older, balding men. And if you do a track day, the body position clinic will barely make any fuckin' sense. :scratch head: Track day fun, but not optimal.

If money were no object, I'd probably flip mine for a liter plus touring machine. Especially now that I have a fun runabout in the garage next to it. But if I had to throw out all but one, the V-Strom would stay. I went from a tricked SV tourer to a DL, and haven't regretted my choice like Colin said. Everyting he said is dead on.

YMMV. Happy shopping. Buy the XR400 that was offered for cheap money and be done with it, and then throw some money at your cruiser to make it fit you. A little time, patience and cash and you'll fill the void on both ends. Good luck in your hunt.

i'm with Chip. if this thread is still about riding off-road at HVD, get a real dirt bike. anything else will wear you out and make you quit too early. IMO, the XR400 is not a good bike for HVD... assuming you want to ride the whole place.

to echo bubba, my best stable was supermoto (SXV5.5), motocrosser (TC250), woods weapon (WR165), playbike (X4R). if i could have kept my Buell XB12S, i would have had all bases covered.

Beta 200RR

I purchased a "liter plus touring machine" in the form of a Tiger 1050, and added some hard bags for commuting, and intended to sell the DL650A. And learned something in the process. My commute is reverse from/to Boston, so I usually only hit heavy traffic coming home on nice summer afternoons when people take off early. In the morning, there is very little traffic up 93 N and Rt 1 N so it's a fast, economical cruise.

1. The clutch lever is a lot heavier on the Tiger, not surprising given nearly double the horsepower.
    2. It puts out a lot more heat. This was also true of the SV650 but the triple runs the cooling fan nearly continuously in hot weather commuting. The Dl650 fan comes on occasionally, and I don't feel any noticeable engine heat on my legs.
    3. The Tiger uses Premium gas and a lot more of it. The DL650 averages 45-52 in my commuting and burns regular. The Tiger, which does very well on trips, has logged as little as 37mpg on a commuting tank.
    4. The previous-gen DL650 has arguably the best stock headlights of any motorcycle around (not sure about the new model). When you are on a BMW club group ride and they invite a Suzuki to lead a night return, that's a pretty broad endorsement. The stock Tiger 1050 low beam blows. I bought a driver to run the high beam at 50%, but there is still no comparison. (The new Tiger 1050 sport has a new headlight setup).
    5. The V-Strom has about 20 different windshields and windshield mounts available. The Tiger is a lot shorter and the fairing a lot more angled, so there is a lot less weather protection.
    6. FWIW, riding position and availability of hard bags is about the same.
    7. The idea of taking the Tiger out on salt-encrusted roads (after the first snow until March) is tempered by the idea that all that beautiful alloy is going to corrode. The DL650 - who cares, it was $6,700 brand new....
    8. I looked at middleweights like the Tiger 800 and BMW F650GS and F800GS. They offer a little more performance for a lot more money. To my mind they were "Too big to be small, and too small to be big." Or more realistically, not powerful enough to be appreciably faster than the Dl650 at any remotely legal speed, while costing nearly as much as some of the liter+ bikes like the Tiger 1050, BMW R1200R, Ninja 1000, and possibly the new DL1000.

At last February's Yankee Beemer breakfast, 22 intrepid souls rode to Mendon from all over New England (the rest drove!). Of the bikes actually ridden to the countries' largest BMW club, four of them were DL650's. I planned to sell mine, but now, I'm not so sure.....

So the grass is always greener.....The WR250R is a wonderfully effective bike, just in a different way, and I enjoy riding it a lot, even on roads.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-28-13 at 09:46 AM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Twin View Post
    I disagree. A new Sergeant saddle, some ergo tweaks and this thing will ride all day well. Lunch in La Patrie, QC, is a yearly trip for me. One day. 600 miles, and there is still daylight left for more mileage. It depends on what your ass and back can handle.
    I was talking about my beloved 650. I hear the 1k chews super-slab better.

I disagree with Chip. I like street riding/touring/commuting more than anything else. So that's where I concentrate my money. That said, the SV is hugely versatile and great value. I'd be happy with one.

But I'm not sure I could justify 6-g's on a dirt bike. Clearly YMMV.

Last edited by nhbubba; 12-28-13 at 09:54 AM.

Lifer

I still think that the WR-R is a good choice for you, if you have the legs for it. The revvy little motor should spin up nicely for street use. If you want to spend less, any of the 250-350 dual sports should be OK (DR350, KLX250/300, XR200/250/400, XT225/250). They are all good bikes. The more expensive European machines are much higher performance, and price - and it does not sound like they are what you are looking for.
    From what I have read, the new Honda CRF250L is a remarkable value, and a very competent machine. Personally, I would love to try one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I like my 'storm
    Does it do whoolies?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I was talking about my beloved 650. I hear the 1k chews super-slab better.

I disagree with Chip. I like street riding/touring/commuting more than anything else. So that's where I concentrate my money. That said, the SV is hugely versatile and great value. I'd be happy with one.

But I'm not sure I could justify 6-g's on a dirt bike. Clearly YMMV.
    I like my commuting just fine too, I was just werkin with the op's numbers.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
    Does it do whoolies?
    I use V-Strom when referring to the two models, and Dl650 or DL650A [ABS] to refer to the smaller one.

They can do wheelies with some difficulty, usually by compressing the front end then using the rebound reaction. If you are into that sort of thing.

"Strom" is German for stream, as in river or current flow.

Dirt bikes are toys called dirt bikes

Fun motorcycles are street fun toys and adventure

Honda Civic is a commuter vehicle in Massachusetts

If you insist on 2 wheel commuting the Suzuki Burgman

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

So, after driving myself crazy, I decided to take a bit of time to decide what I want and what I need. What I came up with, is that my biggest issue is deciding what I want for a street bike, and that while I'm too busy thinking about what I want, I'm just going to continue not riding at all. I want to ride, I want to have an ear to ear grin while out on a bike again, and not have a sigh of discontent every time I walked by my dusty unused pain causing motorcycle in my garage. After lots of homework, and realizing there doesn't have to be one perfect bike for me, I decided on the Yamaha. I'll be able to ride it anywhere, grinning away, and in a few years when its paid off, I'll have had time to either wait for the perfect road bike to have come along, or a better idea of what I want for a street machine. Thanks again to everyone for helping me along the way, as much as I can utilize the interwebs with info, there is just something better hearing opinions from the local guys.
    -bryan

*Bike is getting picked up next Thursday, I'll throw pics up then but for now this is the only new bike porn I have*

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

sounds like a good choice...from what i've read the wr250 is a pretty reliable bike with easy maintenance (vs something more high strung like a te310 which would be lighter, faster but require a little more maintenance)...if i was looking at an offroad bike that i could sumo i think i would go for a wr250, wr426 or a wr450...for now i'll rip around with my little tw200...maybe some day i will pick up a dirt only toy but if i do that it will be a 250 woods bike...but i enjoy riding anything on 2 wheels and i'm sure you'll have a blast on that bike

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Congrats!

My bike had a radiator guard, skid plate, some saddlebags and a 12V plug. I added a headlight guard and luggage rack. That's pretty typical in terms of add-ons.

No seat upgrade?
    I figured that would be pretty high up on the priority list for something like this.

Enjoy man.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet