Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

New to off road, thinking of a wr250r. Any thoughts?

Re: New to off road, thinking of a wr250r. Any thoughts?

So what did you buy for a cruiser that was so unbearable?....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It was a kawasaki vulcan 900 custom, i have no problem with standard cruisers but it was a bit "choppered out", the forward controls didnt come back at all, resulting in left hip and left knee pain. Learned a (expensive) lesson to always test ride before a purchase!

Interesting, pretty familiar with the Vulcan 900 custom. I owned a Kawi Mean Streak for a riding season, similar riding position to the custom. Fortunately I did not find the position uncomfortable for my size, 6'2" and ~205lbs. Sorry to hear about your experience with Kawi, hopefully the WR works out better for you.

I was dissapointed with the Vulcan, which sucks, I have a soft spot for Kawasaki.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    No seat upgrade?
    I figured that would be pretty high up on the priority list for something like this.

Enjoy man.
    ^^^this...i bet that seat is going to feel like sitting on a board after a little while

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

The seat upgrade could be something needed in the future. For now I'm more worried about protecting the bike during any off road use. I picked up some Acerbis hand/lever guards and the dealer I got it from ordered a Moose skid plate that they are gonna throw on before I pick it up.

Anyone know of anything else I should pick up in preparation?

One of those chea ass heated grip kits?
    Moose racing Mickey Mouse ears?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Gear?

I have a few different jackets for different conditions, along with some road helmets. Multiple different gloves. icon jeans and A* boots. I'll be picking up more off road style boots, but looking for something not as tall as the ones I've seen. And some sort of dirtbike helmet w/ goggles or one of the newer style "supermoto" hemets.

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    I'll be picking up more off road style boots, but looking for something not as tall as the ones I've seen.
    If you're intending to do any form of serious off-roading, invest in a proper pair of MX boots. It's hard to appreciate how much stress you put on your ankle when you plant your foot at speed when a wet root decides to spit one end of your bike out from underneath you. They also keep various branches and sticks from impaling your leg.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Never thought of that. I just need to find a pair that fit my fat ass feet and calves.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Never thought of that. I just need to find a pair that fit my fat ass feet and calves.
    Check out the Gaerne boots. I have larger feet/calves and use them to ride in the woods. Pretty sure ZX-12R has them for similar reasons.

I don't have an off road helmet. I'm told that it is better to buy an off-road helmet than trash your shield. After pricing them I'm starting to feel - squiddish....

Wirelessly posted

gaerne boots are def the biggest and most comfortable if you have a wide foot

Corey

+1 on Gaerne. i only wear a 10.5 - 11 sneaker but have a wide foot. my SG-12s are dreamy. most comfortable boot i've ever worn... right out of the box.

Beta 200RR

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

...And some sort of dirtbike helmet w/ goggles or one of the newer style "supermoto" hemets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I don't have an off road helmet. I'm told that it is better to buy an off-road helmet than trash your shield. After pricing them I'm starting to feel - squiddish....
    i picked up an AFX "dual sport" helmet last year. one of those dirtbike helmets with a flip down shield. price was inexpensive enough for me to try the style to see if i liked it before i dropped more coin on a "better" one. you can wear goggles with the helmet and even flip the shield down over them, so if you leave the trail and hit the pavement you can close the shield.
    ive done it once or twice and its a tight fit for the goggles but it works. the biggest gripe i have about those helmets is its a PITA to change the shield. so going from clear to tinted isnt easy like on regular streetbike helmets. this was the couple of times i wore goggles. it got way too dark to be using the tinted shield so i put clear lens goggles on.
    its a decent set up though. the visor really helps with a low sun and i dont get any lift at highway speeds like i thought i would. i do notice it when i turn my head though.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I tried one of those on at the shop and it seemed pretty good.

The afx is decent. My buddy just grabbed the g max version which, despite its price point, has some good features.
    I have an old version of the joe rocket, which I'm not super thrilled on.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Why, because of the price being much less? I've always liked the HJC offroad helmets, the price is great, the quality is good and they are light. I don't think I could pony up for a new Arai offroad helmet...lotta money to toss around every 2 years or so if you ride a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    i picked up an AFX "dual sport" helmet last year. one of those dirtbike helmets with a flip down shield. price was inexpensive enough for me to try the style to see if i liked it before i dropped more coin on a "better" one. you can wear goggles with the helmet and even flip the shield down over them, so if you leave the trail and hit the pavement you can close the shield.
    ive done it once or twice and its a tight fit for the goggles but it works. the biggest gripe i have about those helmets is its a PITA to change the shield. so going from clear to tinted isnt easy like on regular streetbike helmets. this was the couple of times i wore goggles. it got way too dark to be using the tinted shield so i put clear lens goggles on.
    its a decent set up though. the visor really helps with a low sun and i dont get any lift at highway speeds like i thought i would. i do notice it when i turn my head though.
    I've been wanting to try one of those AFX helmets for a while, I may just do it this spring. I have an older Arai XD with the flip up visor and love it for offroad. I wear glasses so I never use the goggles under it, and having the open space/air around your face actually makes it feel cooler when it's warm out. If it ever starts to fog, I just crack the visor up a bit and it clears up. Only downfall to the Arai XD, it's heavy. How is the AFX weight wise compared to a road helmet?

Congrats on the new Yamaha Bryco, I'm sure you'll be happy with it! If you get brave and want to bang it around on some rocks, let me know

Yamaha

Goggles and a dirty helmet are good for under 50 MPH and maybe more depending on the helmet. Over that you may get some lift and noise. The Fly F2 I have is snell & DOT and light, carbon-kevlar and cheap.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Quote Originally Posted by R7
    Why, because of the price being much less? I've always liked the HJC offroad helmets, the price is great, the quality is good and they are light. I don't think I could pony up for a new Arai offroad helmet...lotta money to toss around every 2 years or so if you ride a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    I've been wanting to try one of those AFX helmets for a while, I may just do it this spring. I have an older Arai XD with the flip up visor and love it for offroad. I wear glasses so I never use the goggles under it, and having the open space/air around your face actually makes it feel cooler when it's warm out. If it ever starts to fog, I just crack the visor up a bit and it clears up. Only downfall to the Arai XD, it's heavy. How is the AFX weight wise compared to a road helmet?

Congrats on the new Yamaha Bryco, I'm sure you'll be happy with it! If you get brave and want to bang it around on some rocks, let me know
    It doesn't seem to weigh any more or less than my quantum or x11 but to be honest I've never really compared them.
    You did remind me of a second gripe. Shield position. The afx only has 3. Closed, open, and something in the middle. Normally i ride with my visor cracked open to prevent fogging and I like the fresh air. That's not an issue with my quantum or X11 since I can go 1 click on the shoei or whatever I want on the arai.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I have a nice road helmet, it's one of the newer HJC's but the lack of venting makes it really warm. I always wear glasses when I ride so that I can lift my visor to have fresh air and keep eye protection. My biggest issue it that most helmets I buy are a 3x, so it kind of limits what I can try on as a lot of places don't stock that size. I'd like to try more of the "supermoto" style that have been mentioned. One other question for the off road guys, when you ride off road do you always wear goggles with the helmet or do glasses work well too? (granted they are protective, tough, and not tinted too dark). Thanks guys. Hopefully the roads clear up a bit so I can go pick it up tomorrow.
    -bryan

One other question for the off road guys, when you ride off road do you always wear goggles with the helmet or do glasses work well too? (granted they are protective, tough, and not tinted too dark). Thanks guys. Hopefully the roads clear up a bit so I can go pick it up tomorrow.
    -bryan
    no way, goggles always for off-road.

if you wear glasses, look into OTG (over the glasses) goggle models, most every company offers something for eyeglass compatibility. one branch to the eye or some sort of flying debris (anything) and you will want excellent protection.

congrats on the bike, looking forward to pics

Beta 200RR