Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rode today

Rode today

I met Bob at his house, the plan was to ride over to Franklin state forest because there are only a couple weekends left in the season for the state forests. We got a little side tracked on our way there on the "secret stash stuff ", took turns leading and getting ourselve lost and un lost, we did some real tight single track, I lost count of how many times the bars smacked the trees. We had a hard time on this one hill climb section that normally we rip right up, must have been the wet leaves and pine needles. The gremlins kept ripping my front wheel out from under me, 5th time up was the charm I guess, the first 4 attempts were just practice.

We finally made it to the forest, I'm not sure if it was the fact that the leaves were wet, the mud was slippery or that we had already done 30 mile of single track before we got to the forest, but I had a hard time keeping the bike on track to where I wanted it to go.
    It was cold today but we still managed to break a sweat, all told we did between 47 to 48 miles depending on whos odometer you go by, of that only 6 were street miles to get to and from the trails.
    I'm going to be sore tomorrow for sure, though I did manage to get the bike washed , just incase I can talk Leah into a local loop around here tomorrow, its supposed to be colder tomorrow, we'll see.
    Great late season ride, thanks Bob!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Rode today

Nice! Or should I say Ice?

Paul_E_D

Rode today

Sounds like a good late season day. I miss those dayz !

Rode today

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Nice! Or should I say Ice?
    No Ice on the puddles yet, but its not too far away.
    when I washed the bike this afternoon, the water turned to slush on the seat, so yeh it isn't getting any warmer any time soon .

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Rode today

Sean...is your DRZ a S or E? And what are your impressions (of whatever you have) power wise, weight wise, and maintenance? Giving one some thought for strict dirt duty.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Rode today

I have the S , it has done everything I have asked it to do, I don;t know the major differences between the s and the e because I never looked into it.
    When I changed chain and sprocket recently, I got the E set by accident which dropped one tooth in the front and up 2 in the rear. The bike is actually better in the woods now, really snappy, but you can also lug down to just about the idle and hit the gas with no problems.
    My recomendation is to get the street legal one so that you can connect more trails together and not be limited.
    I'm sure its a bit heavier than the dirt only model as you have all the street legal stuff on it. But its really not that bad. I have done everything on it, paved twisties, dirt roads , and tight single track.
    I'm sure there are lighter bikes out there, but for a street legal dirtbike that can really do it all, you can't go wrong, besides they are cheap to buy used and seem relitively bullet proof.
    I have over 4000 miles on mine, the only thing I have had issue with is a side case cover cracking when i fell over on some rocks. But after I got the new cover I went to thumpertalk"s online store and bought a set of case guards to protect the magnesium case covers.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Rode today

my .02 is to get the E,has a better carb(fcr) and a different cam profiles....it also has a freer flowing exhaust....

RIP....jason white.... 8/3/07....we love and miss you dearly

Rode today

Thanks Sean!

636...I have heard the same thing. The downside is street reg'ing in Mass...but I might have a away around that. I tend not to leave well enough alone and would likely mod it.

I still haven't decided if this is the way I want to go...whether E or S.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Rode today

forgot about the reg....you can drop the E parts into the S anyways....just figured you could save the headache in the end,by just buying the E...my SM has OK power for a pipe and the 3X3 but will get the FCR before to long

RIP....jason white.... 8/3/07....we love and miss you dearly

Rode today

In massachusetts anyway, it would probably be less of a hassle and probably cheaper in the long run to buy the s, register it inspect it and put the E parts on it.
    Depending on the shop you go to for your inspection sticker, some are pricks and require full compliance for the sticker, right down to the chain guard, dot tires, mirrors, horn, signals, and working brake lights.
    I'm not saying its impossible to get the E model registered and inspected, but definately not easy.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Rode today

I have a street legal E (Mass plate). I bought it already titled, so I don't know what is required.

The DRz is so versatile. I ride it on the street and the trails with Pirelli DOT tires. Being street legal really opens up opportunities for connecting small trail sections with public roads.

I've ridden with people on "S" model 400s that went very well in the trails. But even my E is a bit of a heavyweight when the going gets tough.

Rode today

As of 2002, S & E share the same suspension. I wouldn't bother with an E unless it was already plated & cheap, FCR or not. The CV carb on the S does an effective job at sapping away snap though. If you want it for only dirt, I wouldn't bother with a DRZ at all.