Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rode today sort of dirt

Rode today sort of dirt

The ice on the driveway finally melted and it was just above freezing, I had not been out yet this year , except on the Ice with the minis . This was the first road ride of 09 .
    It started as they all do , in my driveway

I made my way out to Barre, the dirt roads were plowed but ice covered, there was just enough sand down to get traction .

I went into Barre falls, the main gate was open and the road was plowed, but also ice covered, I was chugging along in 3rd to avoid spinning the rear, as I was on ice in 1 wheel drive mode.

I passed by a guy in a pulloff in his truck, he pulled out behind me and followed close , there was no way I could stop to pull over and get going on the ice again so I didn't , he stayed behind me all the way out, a couple miles. I pulled into the icy parking lot at the end to let him go by .

He gave me a big thumbs up as he went by, certainly not the reaction I was expecting.

I meandered on the sand covered back roads through oakham and back to N.brookfield , had lunch a the pizza place and headed for home as I was starting to get cold .

It felt good to be out on the road again . Only did 55miles in 2hours but for ice and sand covered roads, thats not too bad. There were some 60+ mph sections and some 5mph sections.

here are a couple random pics of homemade solutions

My tire irons always seem to tear into the tail bag and poke holes so I took my axle wrench from the tool kit, cut it in half, cut a tire iron in half and welded the wrench halves to the tire iron halves, drilled a couple holes and mounted them in place where the passenger pegs used to be .

now they are nice and secure and don't flop around anymore, plus I have extra room in the toolkit and took a bit of weight off the tailpack.
    the other thing was the need for a rear rack to strap stuff to, I saw a lightweight plastic one for sale on the interweb , but a lot cheaper solution was to buy a piece of plastic and make my own

lucky for me walmart had blue cutting boards in stock.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Re: Rode today sort of dirt

Looks like fun Sean
    You still have a lot of snow left, I can't wait to see all this stuff gone.

Second weekend in a row I was able to get out on the bike. Last weekend I went to the VBC for lunch and today managed 20-30 miles on the street. We went to head down that cool road near me only to find they don't plow the entire road...and it was all ice.
    Spent the afternoon cutting trails and made a couple passes on the Raptor. A couple more warm days and I'll give it a try on the bike

Yamaha

Nice! If I still had one, I'd have been on it this week. The dirt roads here in NH are getting better, the ones that see sun get soft during the day. Spring's on the way!

Passenger pegs on a WR250? Didn't know they had 'em.
    Looks like a really nice setup for winter.

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor719 View Post
    Nice! If I still had one, I'd have been on it this week. The dirt roads here in NH are getting better, the ones that see sun get soft during the day. Spring's on the way!

Passenger pegs on a WR250? Didn't know they had 'em.
    Looks like a really nice setup for winter.

Its the 08 wr250R fully street legal from the factory with passenger footpegs although I can;t imagine riding 2 up for any distance on it. they also have a supermoto version as well, the wr250X

and yeh its the perfect set up for the country roads covered in sand and ice this time of year and on up until the trails are dried up enough to ride with out damaging.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Got out for a few hours today , just above freezing and windy, its the kind of breeze that makes you feel like less of a man.

the lite snow from the other day was still on the end of the driveway and most of the shady areas on the back roads. It makes you learn quickly about throttle control.

I stopped by the pond up the road to check on the ice, there were a bunch of pick up trucks out there so I would have to say its safe to ride on, I may head out there on the mini tomorrow .

I stopped for a quick bite to eat and to warm up a bit.
    they have good sandwiches, they use boars head meats , the corn chowder was just okay, but like a hooker on a cold winters night I just wanted something warm in my belly so I choked it down .

I headed back home the long way mostly on pavement but a few snowy ice covered dirt roads

I'll be glad when the weather warms up a bit so I can actually get out for more than a couple hours with out freezing, I don;t have a hook up for my lectric vest on the WR, perhaps I should look into that.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

I got out today on the KLR as well. It was a nice 40 mile day. I cant believe there were trucks on the ice. A 4 wheeler went through at Webster Lake just this week. Thats some balls right there. A truck is what, 15 times as heavy as a 4 wheeler?

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

Quote Originally Posted by mycirus View Post
    I got out today on the KLR as well. It was a nice 40 mile day. I cant believe there were trucks on the ice. A 4 wheeler went through at Webster Lake just this week. Thats some balls right there. A truck is what, 15 times as heavy as a 4 wheeler?
    and not only a truck here or there, groups of them, there was one spot with 4 or 5 parked side by side and a few more not too far away.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Looks like fun Sean
    You still have a lot of snow left, I can't wait to see all this stuff gone.

Second weekend in a row I was able to get out on the bike. Last weekend I went to the VBC for lunch and today managed 20-30 miles on the street. We went to head down that cool road near me only to find they don't plow the entire road...and it was all ice.
    Spent the afternoon cutting trails and made a couple passes on the Raptor. A couple more warm days and I'll give it a try on the bike
    thats a lot of snow?

i had to run the snowblower today. we got 12-18" this week.

while we did close to 100 miles today, i thought it was too warm.

then again it's a lot more work on a sled.

let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow let it snow

were going to get more tomorrow through monday hopefully another foot!

jim

"Molon labe"

this is yesterday and my idea of not much snow

jim

"Molon labe"

Lifer

Nice pictures, Sean. I am not very far from you, in Ware. I sure would like to get out for a ride with you and maybe learn some new trails. I have a (Blue!) DRZ-S and I am always looking to explore new area's nearby.
    I love your bike!