Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ssssand

Ssssand

Wow, riding in the powder is pretty tough. I'm learning, but does anyone here have a lot of sand riding experience? You really can't get away with many mistakes.

Today I was actually faster than someone around the track. He was on a real pretty CRF and pristine gear. My old KDX is caked in mud as is my gear. I felt like a BMW commercial or something!

I stiffened the damping a ton on my front end and it helped enormously in the whoops. I actually got the front up and skimming in the sandy ones, but I'm still taking a beating in the harder whoops.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Ssssand

As far as jumping goes Kdx's real suck at it. The only time I run into problems in sand on my kdx is when I let off the gas the sand knom's grab the front tire

Bikeless

Ssssand

MX338 has some sand?

I'm no master, but this is some stuff I try to do:

Weight back over the fender, head low, enter the whoops in a gear that you can pull all the way through, combined with a throttle opening that will allow you to keep the power coming on. You want the bike to be able to keep the front end light via power through the entire section. Keep the clutch lever covered so you can dip it if the front end starts coming up. You do not want the front to "fall down" at all in between whoops. If you feel the front's going to drop in deep, try to take the next whoop as a jump with your weight more centered so you don't get ejected. If the forks are too soft, whoops will kick your ass up over your head.

For sand in general, maintain speed to aid floatation, gradual turns so the front doesn't knife in, don't let your inside boot get dragged back or you may kick yourself in the back of the helmet, short shift whenever possible so you have revs on reserve if needed, don't be afraid to use the clutch.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Ssssand

I've played in the pits, all that Chris said works.
    PS sand can be verry hard when you hit it you stop fast.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Ssssand

Thanks guys. I'm getting up the nerver to run the KDX into the whoops with some speed. At least in the powdery stuff when you bail it doesn't hurt!

Paul_E_D

Ssssand

Chris summed up perfectly everything I try to do...

I usually end up doing about 20% effectively.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Ssssand

i absolutely despise sand.. but ive found the faster you go and farther you lean back the easier it is... and the faster you go the faster your out of it!!

Ssssand

Quote Originally Posted by SarahLyndsey View Post
    i absolutely despise sand.. but ive found the faster you go and farther you lean back the easier it is... and the faster you go the faster your out of it!!
    Yeah, except on the track I keep coming back around to it! I'm trying to learn to love it...

Paul_E_D

Ssssand

move to Florida.. . that's all you'll ever get to ride, whooped out mounds of sand. i dont miss it.

on top of the comments above, proper tires help tons in sand but i know its tough in NE to run a general tire that does it ALL really well. (unless you're swapping for conditions, of course)

Beta 200RR

Ssssand

If you want to reminisce come on over with the husky some friday. We've got some "whooped out mounds of sand" here in MA too! At least they aren't too hot to walk on in bare feet though...

Paul_E_D

Talking Ssssand

ohh i was thinking of the big sand pits randomly found in the woods.. im not a track girl i like the wild outdoors

Lifer

Ssssand

The tires and gearing will make a huge difference in sand (and confidence). Get a tire designed to run in either soft dirt or sand (a paddle is overkill), and go up a few teeth on the rear sprocket to keep the revs up - fan the clutch in the corners more then normal. I would burn through a set of clutch plates in a single race day at Southwick on a 125. It's counterintuitive - but go faster, keep your weight back to keep the front end light - even in corners.

Lower the tire pressure in the rear to around 14 to 16 psi, front at about 20 psi.

Sand gets everywhere - take all the plastic off the bike, clean the air filter, wash everything, and check and lube all the bearings.

It also doesn't hurt as much to fall in sand - it's like powder skiing!!!! Good Luck..

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Ssssand

Thanks foe the tips on the tire pressures. I'm running 14/14 right now. I'll try adding some to the front. I ride an older KDX, so I don't really need to fan the clutch at all, but perhaps I'll try it. My clutch is grabby, and probably needs to be replaced.

Paul_E_D

Ssssand

I'm no moto freak, but that's seems like some insanely high PSI.

For most off-road riding in this area, I run 13f/12r on my YZ (19" r), and that's at the high end. Just enough pressure to allow some rim kiss on hard hits, but still make it tough for rocks to leave a permanent impression. For just sand, I'd be much lower.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Ssssand

+1... some notes i had bookmarked

Hard pack: 11.5 psi front, 11 psi rear. This would be for normal supercross-type conditions with no rocks or large square edged bumps.

Intermediate: 12 psi front, 13 psi rear.

Sand/Mud: 12 psi front, 10 psi rear. The lower pressure will help get a bite in the sand and slippery wet conditions. If it is rocky and muddy we would not suggest 10 psi in the rear.

btw, Paul, are you riding an MX track out near you? or just local 'secret spot'?

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Ssssand

The riding style, confidence level, and tire itself makes a bigger difference then the pressure. 14-16R/20F was what worked for me when I played in the sand. I was also on a 125 and weighed less than 130 lbs with my gear on.

Play around in the sand, adjust the pressures both ways (on good sand tires) and see what works for you.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Ssssand

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    +1... some notes i had bookmarked
    btw, Paul, are you riding an MX track out near you? or just local 'secret spot'?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you...

Paul_E_D

Ssssand

Keep it fucking pinned, try a gear higher, and stay weight back.

I love(d) powering thru the sand straights at Crow Hill just tapped out bike swapping all around. I hated that section first few times I rode it, but figured it out and braaapt.

I normally run 12/12 as a baseline.

Boston --> San Diego