Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

school me on a ktm 690 enduro r

school me on a ktm 690 enduro r

I want one:
    -plated
    -ride from home for local 100-150 mile loops (30-90 mins of of slab)
    -can do 65-85mph for 1-2 hours at a time to connect desert sections
    -long range (150-180 miles in Death Valley)
    -power for GPS unit
    -moto minded headlight for outstanding night visibility (paired w' Cyclops Adventure helmet light)
    -LAB2V (skip the hard ways), Pahrump NV, possibly Everride's UT rally, cruising down to the beach (maybe surf board rack), bike nights, 220 mile Julian Pie Runs (and go see A13x at Quinn Knives!)

Not trying to ride 8 miles of single track in 2 hours nowadays like R7's circuit

I'll put the small tank on the YZ, gear it 13/52, and just truck that out

Very little inventory due to covid, but my small data sample suggests:
    -$6,000 (cheapest) to $12,500 (new)
    -$7,500 can get you a 2017 w' sub 3k miles +/- farkles - this is my target/reference point

I would:
    -change the gearing to match what i'm doing (it's 15/45 stock)
    -add the rade garage aux tank for extended fuel range
    -Seat Concepts
    -KTM windscreen
    -add a rear rack w' a toolpack/tubes

I rode a counterbalanced motor (690 got it in 2019) and it's maybe 5-10% less vibey

otherwise, the 2021 has some electrics/graphics but the LC4 has powered it a full minute

rented one yesterday too

sumo was fun, but I don't want a sumo wheel set. Dual sport is fine for everything I want to do. I don't want to change wheels.

watched some youtube videos...didn't get much else out of it

ya'll know me...mostly dirt w' long legs...pavement is mostly a connector or a recreational cruise

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-02-21 at 12:25 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Re: school me on a ktm 690 enduro r

I can't comment on the bike itself, but from everything I've read, with your ride mileage requirements and if you don't care about the maintenance intervals, a 500 EXC-F makes for a much better big bore dual sport. The 500's are supposedly much more bullet proof than the earlier 690's as well.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

let me preface by saying: I'm an odd guy, and my priorities are all out of wack. I didn't grow up riding, never took classes, generally suck, and idc.

for me, "feel" is a huge part of my experience; but that's subjective, which is why my criteria is wack...that's why I like to rent/demo a bike before I buy it

so for the 500exc...

I tried the 500exc for a 230 miles "dual sport" ride from home, and man did it suck. It's too racy of a motor to slab for 1-2 hours, the riding position/stability ramps up the fatigue *much* quicker than a 690/701 (which has more street bias capability)

The silty sand/tighter stuff the 500 is 40% better

but the rest of the stuff the 690 "felt" 70% better for the pavement sections, & still good for the fire roads/desert dirt touring I want to do.

unrelated, but from a reference standpoint against the 500 - even if I'm doing more sandy/silt/technical stuff where the weight punishes you, and I'm trucking over - 2 stroke all the way

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-02-21 at 01:48 PM.

I want to like the 690/701, but I just don't think it does anything good. Heavier, not much more power, similar maintenance, comfort to the 500, for more money. It's a big ass piston. I would go 790, all day. Or 890

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Why don't u look at the xr650r.
    No e start but...
    It's. So . Much..

Fun

- - - Updated - - -

But I'm also looking casually at a 690 enduro
    E start is pretty cool

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I want one:
    I would:
    -Seat Concepts
    -KTM windscreen
    ...pavement is mostly a connector or a recreational cruise
    While my 690 was an older SM, the seat & windscreen made a far larger difference than I would have ever expected. For higher speed / highway riding the windscreen removed 85% of the wind off my chest / head and the new seat, I got a Corbin for a steal, made several hour rides more than tolerable if not comfortable.

Loved my 690, still miss it, and always scan CL in search of a great deal to put one back in the garage. Other than oil/filter changes & valve checks with no Adj needed it was problem free for 17k miles.

Good luck, they are not the easiest bike to find used, and the $$$ new would push me to a 790/890.

I’d say if you want something heavy, can do 70mph but also some off-road while not being great at either buy my KLR and put a seat on it & save yourself some cash. It’s better off road than my old vstrom and no low hanging oil filter to smash off some rocks.

The new models are in the 7k? Range and EFI.

But then Again I have one and would much rather the 790 or T7

Last edited by Crconnor18; 03-02-21 at 06:57 PM.

I don't understand the 690 hate. It remains one of the best bikes I've owned. It was reliable as a stone and worth almost as much as I paid for it after 5 years of flogging.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I don't understand the 690 hate. It remains one of the best bikes I've owned. It was reliable as a stone and worth almost as much as I paid for it after 5 years of flogging.
    Agreed, as far as my 701 goes I feel the same way.

I think the issue comes in that the 690/701 fall in that middle ground between bikes like the KTM 500 variants and the KTM 790/890 variants which are both better at their ends of the spectrum then the 690/701 is. The 690/701 though not being better at either end are better overall. Guess it all depends on where on the spectrum the buyer falls.

There are the outliers on both ends that think their bike is good at the other end. 500s that slab to ride/work every day without issue and 790/890s that tear up the single track with their buddies all the time but neither of those is the good choice for the terrain involved.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tls25rs; 03-03-21 at 01:06 PM.

I took my 500 on the highway once, because I could. The unbalanced knobbies shook so bad at 80mph that I had to stand on the pegs just to see in front of me.

With the motard wheels, it's fairly smooth on the street but if I were to ride it like that all the time, I would definitely install a cush drive.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

thanks for the input guys!

this is the one I'm looking at: 2017, 2750ish miles, $7,800

exhaust looks stock

checking it out tomorrow

Stock exhaust is good, but it gets hotter than the sun. DO NOT TOUCH after riding. lol

Paul_E_D

Hypertarded

That seems like a decent deal with those miles, good luck.

Despite what I have been told about the 500 EXC-F being the cats ass dual sport, I still want a 701 Enduro in the worst way. That 690 makes me envious.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Well it had some light scratches, and the 2nd owner rode a whopping 500 miles...mostly in UT....He couldn’t really justify a 3rd bike since he has a 450exc (plated, sumo + dirt wheels) and Harley that covers all his riding duties. He may want a YZ250 so he can do some track riding “with the few years he has left to do it.”

And he had all the supplies for an oil change, and new air filter for a service at 3k miles, And a mix of stock parts.

Offered him $7,500 and took it home.

It still has the stock 15/45 gearing (way too tall for dual sport riding), and junk TKC80 tires.

Going to burn the tires I have for March and get a 606 rear with a Goldentyre Fatty front for April

Chain and sprockets will change to a 49 rear, and just swap a 14 or 16 front depending on more dirt or more street slab kind of riding.

Really hoping to replace all the Ninja 500 duty since it was mostly just doing bike nights and cruises down to the beach.

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-05-21 at 05:26 PM.

Well this thread took an awesome turn. Congrats, dude. I hope this is the one you’ve been looking for. I’d say the usual “be sure to keep us updated on how you’re liking it” but we both know there’s volumes coming on that

Very cool.

Also, if you get comfortable ranging out on this thing, meet me out in Vegas one weekend and I’ll find something to rent for a day. I’m out there pretty regularly for work now, can pack a bag of dirty gear anytime.

Last edited by loudbeard; 03-05-21 at 06:46 PM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Well this thread took an awesome turn. Congrats, dude. I hope this is the one you’ve been looking for. I’d say the usual “be sure to keep us updated on how you’re liking it” but we both know there’s volumes coming on that

Very cool.

Also, if you get comfortable ranging out on this thing, meet me out in Vegas one weekend and I’ll find something to rent for a day. I’m out there pretty regularly for work now, can pack a bag of dirty gear anytime.
    Nesr trip to Vegas bike trip

I'm down

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Nesr trip to Vegas bike trip

I'm down
    Have a trip there 3/15-3/19, could extend it to include the weekend. Will book that travel on 3/10 so speak up before then if you’re down. Also a very good chance I’ll be there the following week but I can’t confirm. 2nd or 3rd week of April are unscheduled weeks as well.

Quick search netted this

Last edited by loudbeard; 03-05-21 at 09:35 PM.

Have a trip there 3/15-3/19, could extend it to include the weekend. Will book that travel on 3/10 so speak up before then if you’re down. Also a very good chance I’ll be there the following week but I can’t confirm. 2nd or 3rd week of April are unscheduled weeks as well.

Quick search netted this

too soon for me I need time to plan coverage, at work and hom e( 2 kids, 1 wife) but if we plan it far out enough like early mid fall ( better weather out there) I'd be down dual sport ride down to LA from vegas no slab.

hmmmm......

Quick search netted this
    also have afrined in vegas who rides but also knows a ton of other riders who know the back roads. I'm sure we could swing a lender bike and private trail ride.

hmmmm......

Very cool.

when have I been known to post moto stuff online

to be honest, NESR/forums have been a solid channel for moto talk over the last 20ish years....Facebook/IG started out okay, then got good, then got terrible if not toxic. NESR has been pretty consistent, still a bunch of a holes

Next weekend won't work for me, but I can definitely get out to ride with ya if you're out here regularly. I honestly don't know the Vegas area very well, but there's loads upon loads of information/tracks/routes/points of interest to ride and EVERY NESRIAN SHOULD COME OUT TO RIDE THE DESERT SOUTHWEST.

@black - LAB2V is another great ride from the LA area to Vegas over black friday weekend; but I want to also scope out the SB area so you're my reason/connection to come out that way.

previous owner...looks like he used the pre-load to lower the seat height

and he lost the plate in UT

used that as a negotiation point as the CA DMV does charge to issue a new plate...the $300 I saved from my purchase price covered this + registration transfer/title/tax

zipped over to Cyclegear, bought a universal plate mount (basically a long plate w' a long channel), and use it to adapt the US license plate into that narrow mount

then tried a 500R duty: Landlord duty run

30 miles of lane splitting pavement 80-95mph up the 5 freeway....it did fine!

the 690 can semi-slab. A huge part is the speed - yes you can go 80-95mph, but wind will make you feel like you're getting pulled off the bike. Add a windscreen + slow down to 65-70mph when on the long dual sport slabs. Note: the 350 couldn't do 30 miles at 80-95mph, and it can't replace 500R duty. On the other hand, the 690 looks like it very much can. There's not much more the 500 can do that the 690 can't...including track days if I got sumo wheels.

Got a desert day planned tomorrow.

future parts (yes, I have an advocate helping to pick these):
    -$448: Rade Garage Aux Fuel tank
    -$515: Motominded LED light kit
    -$220ish (installed): Dunlop 606 rear, Shinko 216AA fatty
    -$100ish chain/sprockets w' a 49 rear tooth, then 14 or 16 front depending on dual sport slab duty or dirt/desert day
    -$70-$120: windscreen
    ------------------------------------
    ~$1,500ish

then I should be done

CABDR, LAB2V, local rides, Geomoto dual sport rides in Temecula, ride to trails 80 miles away, and it can still hoon. I could clutch a 3rd gear wheelie.

The BDR sections we're going to do will include 2 soft saddle bags: 3 days of underwear, socks, t-shirt, maybe some vans, toiletry. Ride 150-200 miles/day of dirt, then get a cheap hotel, repeat for 3 nights.

the 690 gets 43ish mpg depending on weight/speed/flog...so w' the aux tank I can get 200ish miles for long slab rides

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-06-21 at 01:00 PM.

Hypertarded

Wonder if that 43ish is due to tires / gearing, riding like a loon I averaged 55ish, 3.4 gal tank and the light never came on before 165.

I avoid the slab like the plague, but when I did as you said 80-100 was not a problem, and as I mentioned the windscreen will make a noticeable difference.

Sounds as if it should fill many of your needs, enjoy

43 was just my guess based on google

it may do more! light throttle, lower speeds, and I weight 138lbs

talked to a friend and he recommended against the Puig windscreen...oem KTM it is! priced about the same anyways

Madstad also makes a monstrous street touring windscreen too...was thinking of using it seasonally

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    too soon for me I need time to plan coverage, at work and hom e( 2 kids, 1 wife) but if we plan it far out enough like early mid fall ( better weather out there) I'd be down dual sport ride down to LA from vegas no slab.
    Ping me whenever you want to put it together.

I'd be curious what you think of the gearbox. I always wondered why they didn't put a wide ratio tranny in that bike.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast